6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Adam Murrell Mtp Thread, Come on in!
Bondy
Jan 11 2009, 11:43 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Adam the tapping one is coming on fine, I will check out the Extreme cd for sure I thought it sounded like Van Halen LOL.

I have been having some thoughts about lessons and really think I should drop the clean part of the brief and do something on scales because my knowledge isnt very good, perhaps you could come up with something for me to learn.

I wont be able to post my videos until Friday though because i work late on a Thursday and the kids will be in bed when I get back, I dont know how to record with headphones on plus i no longer have my Fasttrack. i'm connecting to my laptop through my X3 Live.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 11 2009, 01:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thats fine, we can say Saturday or Sunday if its easier for you to record then?

I need to do some scale work myself! Are you familiar with any of Andrew's theory lessons here on the forum? Which scales do you know?

QUOTE (Bondy @ Jan 11 2009, 10:43 AM) *
Hey Adam the tapping one is coming on fine, I will check out the Extreme cd for sure I thought it sounded like Van Halen LOL.

I have been having some thoughts about lessons and really think I should drop the clean part of the brief and do something on scales because my knowledge isnt very good, perhaps you could come up with something for me to learn.

I wont be able to post my videos until Friday though because i work late on a Thursday and the kids will be in bed when I get back, I dont know how to record with headphones on plus i no longer have my Fasttrack. i'm connecting to my laptop through my X3 Live.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 11 2009, 02:32 PM
Learning Roadie
Complete newbie when it comes to theory I find it hard to get my head round, Gmajor scale and some pentatonic thats it sad.gif sad.gif shame on me

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 11 2009, 04:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
No worries man, I'm very bad when it comes to theory too - so I'll be on the same wave length with you.

I'll find some of Andrew's lessons to work through, he's done an amazing job on providing in depth theory lessons that I actually understand - it's just getting myself to read them thats the problem, my attention span is so low! Maybe this will both kick us up the arse a bit to get learning a bit more.

As Ivan said on the chat the other day, "knowing theory for a musician is like knowing grammar for a writer." I saved that quote as it rang very true for me.

QUOTE (Bondy @ Jan 11 2009, 01:32 PM) *
Complete newbie when it comes to theory I find it hard to get my head round, Gmajor scale and some pentatonic thats it sad.gif sad.gif shame on me

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 11 2009, 04:48 PM
Instructor
how is it going guys? Adam, you said you will have a video here soon so I am just checking smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 11 2009, 04:52 PM
Learning Roadie
Not too bad Emir, Adams A great teacher so far laugh.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 11 2009, 04:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah sorry, its a bit of a maze here!! If you look at the post starting "Week 1" there's a tapping lesson and a sweep lesson smile.gif

Really enjoying the MTP so far! Already learnt a fair deal with video software and things. Still trying to work out the best way to output videos in small size with good quality using Adobe Premier.

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jan 11 2009, 03:48 PM) *
how is it going guys? Adam, you said you will have a video here soon so I am just checking smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 11 2009, 04:54 PM
Instructor
cool guys this must be a lot of fun. I was going through your plan and I can tell you that I feel like doing something like this as well smile.gif I would probably be surprised how much I still have to improve even from a simple stuff.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 11 2009, 05:17 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks Bondy, hope I continue to keep you practicing up!

So to clarify, I shall take some time to look at some GMC lessons that work in tune with some of Andrews theory lessons for next week.

I can give you another tapping exercise, sweeping or alternate picking one for next week also.

I think the plan works quie well for us if we do one syllabus style lesson, keeping focus on building up strength in Rhythm and timing, while providing you with some more fun technique exercises in a song type format to keep it interesting.

QUOTE (Bondy @ Jan 11 2009, 03:52 PM) *
Not too bad Emir, Adams A great teacher so far laugh.gif

Coming from the maker of Sevdah metal?! Can't see much areas you need to improve on!! tongue.gif

I know what you mean though, I know I'm in the intermediate category so other guitarists can spot my faults and know my weaknesses, but parents for example can say things like "You should go busk, you're so good!" but I feel it doesn't matter how good I get in my life time - I'll be aware of area's I need to improve. No matter what level you're at as a muscian, there's always things to learn smile.gif

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jan 11 2009, 03:54 PM) *
cool guys this must be a lot of fun. I was going through your plan and I can tell you that I feel like doing something like this as well smile.gif I would probably be surprised how much I still have to improve even from a simple stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 11 2009, 05:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Jan 11 2009, 04:17 PM) *
but I feel it doesn't matter how good I get in my life time - I'll be aware of area's I need to improve. No matter what level you're at as a muscian, there's always things to learn smile.gif

This is 100% true

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 11 2009, 06:07 PM
Learning Roadie
Not sure if i'm doing this sweeping right so I thought i would post progress of on both lessons for guidance

Sweeping

Tapping

Please excuse the numerous mistakes been trying to get takes down all day mad.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 11 2009, 06:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
Ah thats awesome man! Really great to see your progress smile.gif

The video's show really great progress so far, and you've obviously put a fair amount of time into learning the positions of these exercises.

Now for the tips/advice!

Sweeping-

I'm really impressed with your progress on this, and your left hand can obviously deal with the speed of this exercise well.
Advice for the left hand would be to really get used to the two arpeggio shapes because there's a couple of instances that you break the pattern and hit some wrong notes.

This exercise only uses the minor and major 3 note arpeggio's and the first note on the high E is the only note that is different between them.

I suggest switching between them starting the shapes at the 12th fret, just to get used to the shape, and then moving it up and down the fret board to get used to the feel of it.

Muris sweeping lesson here - https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-lesson/ has some excellent minor/major exercises utilising 2-5 string arpeggio's. Focus on the 3 string arpeggio's for now.

Advice on the right hand - The motion you're using to play the notes at the moment isn't correct, and I'll try to explain how it should be done. If you imagine how you play a chord, with a fast "sweep" of all the strings in one fluid motion, this is, in effect, what we're trying to replicate.

You can think of a strummed chord as a very fast, un-muted, sweep. If you were to slow that strum down so that your picking hand moves in one fluid motion from the low e to the high e string, then we're getting close to what we want. This can feel very sketchy and unnatural to begin with trying to keep it in time, but you'll quickly adjust and feel more comfortable with it.

The other important thing in this technique is muting. Taking the example of strumming a chord, fret a barre chord on the guitar and imagine playing each note in a fluid strum, but once moving from the 1st to 2nd string during the upward motion of the sweep, you will need to mute the 1st string so you only ever hear one string at a time.

We don't fret a sweeped arpeggio as a barre chord, but you can use this as a visual reference, usually we only have one finger in contact with the fret board when sweeping.

If you watch the video of Muris sweeping lesson, and pay attention to his picking hand, you can see this fluid "sweeping" motion in effect.

Advise on tapping

Really good work here man! Wasn't expecting your tapping to be this good, and I don't mean that in a rude way! smile.gif You mentioned you've tried Muris' EVH lesson but wasn't sure what your abilities were. I recommend just keeping going at the pace your going! Pay attention to the guitarpro tab to get the right notes and descending timing right, but technique wise I can't fault anything.

Excellent work though all round man, the sweeping lesson really should have had some explanation from me and I didn't do this at the beginning so sorry about that.

I hope I've explained myself in a way thats reasonably coherent! If you don't understand my rambling descriptions, do let me know and I'll try again smile.gif

Awesome work though, looks like I'll have to get cracking on next weeks stuff soon biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 11 2009, 07:02 PM
Learning Roadie
I thought the actual sweep was wrong!! gonna really slow it down and try and get the motion right, Thanks for the positive comments much appreciated biggrin.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 11 2009, 07:31 PM
Learning Roadie
Got another question When i a sweep what should i be doing for the 15 up or downstroke because i think thats whats throwing my timing of, Below is how i'm doing it now.
D D U
D 12 15 12 U
D 13 13 U
D 12 12 U

Its not showing this right 12d/13d/12d/15d/12u/13u/12u

This post has been edited by Bondy: Jan 11 2009, 07:32 PM

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 11 2009, 09:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
I really should have clarified that as well! Sorry, the most important things you end up forgetting to mention when explaining guitar things it seem!

I will try and write this in a way that reads ok, but essentially the difference from the way you play it is to actually use a pull off from the 15th to the 12th fret.

I may have to update the guitarpro file to show you what i mean as it effects every single arpeggio.

On each arpeggio it should be played D 12, D13, D12, U15, (pull off)12, U13, U/D12.

You'll notice the last note I've left as either a down or an up, I need to clarify with someone (maybe Muris?) about which is the proper one to use - as I have learnt to play this with an Upstroke at this point, which means you have to string skip to play the second note of the arpeggio. I recommend trying both and seeing which is easiest for you and I shall PM someone to verify if this is ok.

Sorry for leaving out yet another vital bit of information Bondy!

QUOTE (Bondy @ Jan 11 2009, 06:31 PM) *
Got another question When i a sweep what should i be doing for the 15 up or downstroke because i think thats whats throwing my timing of, Below is how i'm doing it now.
D D U
D 12 15 12 U
D 13 13 U
D 12 12 U

Its not showing this right 12d/13d/12d/15d/12u/13u/12u

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 11 2009, 09:11 PM
Learning Roadie
That's no problem Adam; I should have asked at the start will try and work on that and hopefully post another video soon.
Thanks for clearing that up

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 12 2009, 01:39 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hi there Bondy, I just messaged Emir who very helpfully pointed out that the first note of the arpeggio should always be played with a downstroke. Here's what he said:

"The first note always downstroke because the accent is on that note. In this exercise you have 2 accented notes. The first note and the highest - or every first one in the triplet group. You won't get the right accent if you play upstroke. That note has to stand out and always be heard as note number 1 in the pattern. Only downstroke can produce that feel."

So play the first note of the arpeggio with a downstroke from now on smile.gif

Looking forward to some vids! Do take your time though, no rush smile.gif

QUOTE (Bondy @ Jan 11 2009, 08:11 PM) *
That's no problem Adam; I should have asked at the start will try and work on that and hopefully post another video soon.
Thanks for clearing that up

This post has been edited by Ajmurrell: Jan 12 2009, 01:39 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 12 2009, 10:38 AM
Learning Roadie
Adam Watch Vid explanation in there!!!
Attached File  video200901120001.wmv ( 2.3MB ) Number of downloads: 166

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 12 2009, 12:55 PM
Learning Tone Master
Video Response

Attached File  gmc_vid_response.wmv ( 9.59MB ) Number of downloads: 191

After trying to get this to work in adobe premier for over an hour, I gave up and used Windows Movie Maker biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Bondy @ Jan 12 2009, 09:38 AM) *
Adam Watch Vid explanation in there!!!
Attached File  video200901120001.wmv ( 2.3MB ) Number of downloads: 166

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 12 2009, 05:08 PM
Learning Roadie
That helps alot Adam thanks, I need a strap to stop my whole arm from moving. laugh.gif it wont stay still

This post has been edited by Bondy: Jan 12 2009, 07:08 PM

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:22 AM