Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adam Murrell Mtp Thread, Come on in!
Ajmurrell
post Jan 12 2009, 05:52 PM
Post #41

Learning Tone Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.702

hehe, there is some felxibility allowed in the forearm so don't go asking your local hospital for a cast to keep it stationary biggrin.gif

It's just you'll find the motion very uncomfortable when adding extra strings to sweeps or building up your speed.

Also just to note - I'm going to keep the wednesday as the end of the week, so I shall post week 2's agenda and lessons sometime in the afternoon on wednesday.

I was going to say you may want to learn half the examples in the blues lesson by Ivan (which is the syllabus lesson for next week) so that you have plenty of time to continue practicing the tapping/sweeping lessons.

Oh, and I'll be introducing a 10min warm up for the week as well tongue.gif

Hope you're looking forward to it!

As always, any questions or anything you want me to include or ANYTHING. Ask me!!

You're being a great mentoree so far mr Bond(y), thanks a lot. smile.gif

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bondy
post Jan 12 2009, 07:12 PM
Post #42

Learning Roadie
Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 2.884

A student is only as good as the teacher laugh.gif biggrin.gif going to try and get thie sweeping down if it kills me!!!!

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Bondy
post Jan 12 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #43

Learning Roadie
Group Icon

Sorry to be a pain Adam I just uploaded a very short video i think the movement of my left hand is now correct just synchronizing the 2 hands together now I think my fingers are about to bleed so please tell me I'm closer before they fall off. LOL

Attached File  video200901120005.wmv ( 778.81K ) Number of downloads: 89

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
post Jan 12 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #44

Learning Tone Master

I've only read the first four words and desided to make a post about just that before I read on...

You're not a pain! Here to help! Pester as much as you want!

Now to read the next few words! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Bondy @ Jan 12 2009, 10:26 PM) *
Sorry to be a pain Adam I just uploaded a very short video i think the movement of my left hand is now correct just synchronizing the 2 hands together now I think my fingers are about to bleed so please tell me I'm closer before they fall off. LOL

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
post Jan 12 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #45

Learning Roadie
Group Icon

Ok so is it any better am I going the right way now biggrin.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
post Jan 12 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #46

Learning Tone Master

Left hand is excellent! Well done mate, great improvement there.

Just a note about timing, and this is what I remember being the hardest thing when I learnt this - All notes have to be equal in length. So the pull off note needs to ring out for the same duration as all the other notes.

What you're doing at the moment is playing the pull of and not letting it ring for its duration. This is a bit tricky to get used to because your picking hand has to pause its nice fluid motion while the pull off takes place before continuing again.

If you would like a video demonstration I can get one up in the next half an hour easily? Do ask smile.gif

EDIT: Just to clarify, left hand is perfect - no BS from me honest, besides the timing issues this is great!

QUOTE (Bondy @ Jan 12 2009, 10:26 PM) *

This post has been edited by Ajmurrell: Jan 12 2009, 11:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
post Jan 12 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #47

Learning Roadie
Group Icon

No thats ok I understand what you mean I was just trying to get that left hand right, I put 2 hours in today just on sweeping and was starting to get narked LOL

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
post Jan 12 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #48

Learning Tone Master

Heh thats awesome, hope you're enjoying it still?! I do hope I'm not coming across too "yay! awesome! well done!" etc and being patronising or appearing false... Honestly, the left hand movement is perfect and just what you should be aiming to get used to for sweep picking.

On a different note as just general adivce about practicing... I would recommend stopping any time you get frustrated or have had enough, and just giving it half an hour or the rest of the day before coming back to an exercise.

It's a bizarre experience, but it seems to be when I just can't push any improvements on something after a practice session and leave the guitar alone for a few hours, when I come back I find it much easier than before.

Might be slightly exagerrated but it's also very true, wish it worked with other things in life!

QUOTE (Bondy @ Jan 12 2009, 10:46 PM) *
No thats ok I understand what you mean I was just trying to get that left hand right, I put 2 hours in today just on sweeping and was starting to get narked LOL

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
post Jan 13 2009, 12:03 AM
Post #49

Learning Roadie
Group Icon

As long as you tell me when I'm Bad its not a problem, biggrin.gif The compliments are greatly received

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
post Jan 13 2009, 08:20 PM
Post #50

Learning Tone Master

How's it going today mate? Ready for tomorrow's new stuff?

How have you been doing on the tapping and sweep little songs? I was gonna leave doing another new tapping/sweeping song unless you felt comfortable with week 1's?

Of course if you crack them before week 3, I'll just post them here when you're ready smile.gif

We've got the blues lesson coming, a warm up lesson that I feel is a great Alt. Picking work out too and some of Andrew's theory to go over!

QUOTE (Bondy @ Jan 12 2009, 11:03 PM) *
As long as you tell me when I'm Bad its not a problem, biggrin.gif The compliments are greatly received

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
post Jan 13 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #51

Learning Roadie
Group Icon

Here's another sweeping video that I did this afternoon its getting better i think, I would like another lesson on this as i'm really enjoying doing them.

Attached File  video200901130005.wmv ( 1.95MB ) Number of downloads: 66

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
post Jan 13 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #52

Learning Tone Master

Thats great work man, oh I'm so proud biggrin.gif

Left hand is looking very smooth and fluid which is excellent. Only critiscm would be the timing issues, but as long as you are aware of them then thats fine smile.gif

I would suggest setting a metronome at say 80bpm, and when playing - each count of the metronome should be the interval between the beginning of the arpeggio, and at its highest point before descending again.

So for example...

E|----------12--15--12--------------12--15--12--------------12--15--12----------
B|------13--------------13------13--------------13------13--------------13------
G|--12----------------------12----------------------12----------------------12--
D|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B B B B B B B

The notes with B underneath are the ones that should be on the beat. Hope this helps smile.gif

Great work though!

I can certainly muster up another sweeping exercise, this time it may be a 5 string beast... Mainly because I don't know any 4 string sweeping example's. Plus it's what I learnt next after my 3 string song smile.gif

More tapping? Or ok for now? All up to you man, what ever you'd like to do smile.gif

QUOTE (Bondy @ Jan 13 2009, 07:46 PM) *
Here's another sweeping video that I did this afternoon its getting better i think, I would like another lesson on this as i'm really enjoying doing them.

Attached File  video200901130005.wmv ( 1.95MB ) Number of downloads: 66

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
post Jan 13 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #53

Learning Roadie
Group Icon

I haven't practised the tapping one as much as the sweeping one the past few days so i'm gonna try and get that done so hold of on the tapping one for a bit. maybe next week biggrin.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Bondy
post Jan 13 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #54

Learning Roadie
Group Icon

Ok Adam here's an update on the tapping think i got this down albeit a couple of mistakes
Attached File  MTP_Tapping.wmv ( 527.21K ) Number of downloads: 76

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
post Jan 14 2009, 12:39 AM
Post #55

Learning Tone Master

smile.gif Cracking work grommit smile.gif

Excellent progress yet again Craig! I remember personally taking a good while to get this down, it was one of the first tapping licks I'd learnt after the infamous eruption tapping piece, and the progressive changes with the left hand whilst keeping a melodic piece going with the right really did cause me problems!

So honestly, well done.

I'll leave another tapping lesson for the third week as you have previously suggested, but may give you an alternate way of playing the above exercise, just to give you something else to try smile.gif

QUOTE (Bondy @ Jan 13 2009, 10:20 PM) *
Ok Adam here's an update on the tapping think i got this down albeit a couple of mistakes
Attached File  MTP_Tapping.wmv ( 527.21K ) Number of downloads: 76

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
post Jan 14 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #56

Learning Tone Master

Week 2

As with last week, I would like to recommend we work on the recommened lesson in the MTP Syllabus and a couple of extra activity technique lessons.

Activity 1
Alice in Chains style lesson
This lesson is great fun smile.gif but also will have a good impact on your timing and rhythm playing. Try to play this to the backing track as much as possible when you've got each part down. Get used to learning with some sort of metronome, even if its using the backing track for now.

Pay attention to the particular rhythm in this piece. The chords are often short notes, so don't let them ring after you play them - get your picking hand back on them to mute them. This way they appear almost with a stecatto effect, which really drives home the drive of this piece.

Are you familiar with the technique used for the pinch harmonic? I can describe it if you would like to know how to achieve that particular note.

Have fun with this one! Really put a lot of empthasis on getting the timing spot on this week, at which ever tempo you prefer. If you find the timing cause problems I can help you so please let me know smile.gif

Activity 2

Andrew's Theory Lessons -

As requested Craig, we shall get down to some theory! I don't want to overload you this week as I've said before, so we'll take it slowly and add stuff progressively during the week IF you feel you want to.

To start off, I would like you to read Andrew's introduction to Andrew's Theory Basics For Guitar and then move on to Andrew's Introduction To Scales

I'll be reading along with you and ready to answer any questions you may have. If you feel you already know most of the above, give it a read still - you may understand something better than you did previousy, I certainly did!

Sweep Picking exercise 2
Attached File  GMC_sweeping_lesson_2.wmv ( 6.2MB ) Number of downloads: 58

Attached File  GMC_Sweeping_lesson_2.gp5 ( 2.15K ) Number of downloads: 47

Here's half of a song using 5 string sweeps, I didn't want to overload you this week as there are some tricky stretches in here and I'd like you to really focus on getting the timing right on both last weeks lesson and this weeks.

There are some new techniques in here, but its more or less using the same sweeping techniques as the previous lesson.

There are a couple of instances where you will be using the same finger to fret different strings after each other. Here we "roll" our finger back on to next string, but while paying close attention to not let the note behind it keep ringing. We're not aiming for chord sounds here, but only single notes being played at any one time.

Here you'll be using two hammer on/pull off's on each arpeggio so it's really important to practice slow and get those notes down to a metronome. Start low, between 60bpm and 80bpm and work up to the lessons 120bpm - I don't expect you to have to reach that tempo, but maybe set that as a goal for a few weeks smile.gif

If you find some of the stretches really awkward and difficult, isolate that stretch and work on it. For example if its the pull off from the 17th fret on the high E to the 12th fret, just practice those two notes by them selves for a while.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, you will find that this is the sort of lesson that you may need to practice in bursts, so instead of spending 3 hours a day solid practicing it, do half an hour then take an hour break. You need to allow time for your fingers to rest and develop the strength for those stretches. It will also really help get this kind of lesson into your muscle memory.

If we could aim to have video uploads of the above lesson before next Wednesday, and keep practicing the previous weeks tapping and sweeping lesson also. I was going to introduce the warm up/alternate picking lesson for this week, but having a look at what you've got to do - I think it's enough!

As always any questions, do ask. I can easily explain things via video as I've now got the record to upload time down to around 10 mins biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Ajmurrell: Jan 15 2009, 11:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
post Jan 14 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #57

Learning Roadie
Group Icon

Looks good Adam just gotta do some work will crack on with that tonight biggrin.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
post Jan 15 2009, 01:41 AM
Post #58

Learning Tone Master

Good stuff! Keep in touch, let me know how its going!

QUOTE (Bondy @ Jan 14 2009, 03:32 PM) *
Looks good Adam just gotta do some work will crack on with that tonight biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
post Jan 15 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #59

Learning Tone Master

Hey Bondy,

Just wanted to get you feelings about this weeks lesson. Are you happy with whats been proposed? Anything you have worries about or not happy with?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
post Jan 15 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #60

Learning Roadie
Group Icon

I'm really not enjoying the blues lesson so if its ok with you I have swapped to the alice in chains lesson biggrin.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017 - 11:58 PM