Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Velvet Roger - Mtp Thread
Praetorian
post Jan 18 2009, 05:06 PM
Post #21

Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.521

Here it is Roger! You are right...this is awesome alternate picking practice! This has now become an official part of my warmup!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
post Jan 18 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #22

Learning Tone Seeker
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 5.631

QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jan 18 2009, 05:06 PM) *
Here it is Roger! You are right...this is awesome alternate picking practice! This has now become an official part of my warmup!

Hi Ben,

I am glad you liked this simple but effective exercise, and you are doing great! smile.gif

Comments to assignment #1b

Overall your timing was very good in this exercise, with a couple of minor things to address and I am very confident that this will be perfect very soonish!

1) At bar 3 (when you switched to Dm for the first time), you started a bit too early (at beat 4.75 or so instead of 1).

2) In the 2nd part of the exercise (during the A-shape chords), you lost sometimes a tiny bit of the smoothness, however you found the rhythm back almost instantly, which is a good thing smile.gif.

As a bit of a side-track: I noticed that the G-string of your strat was very dominantly present during the exercise (both in the arpeggio's as in the strums). I don't think however that this is due to heavy accenting by your picking, but it may be because your pickups are not yet perfectly set (this is your new baby axe right? smile.gif). I went myself through quite some efforts in setting the correct pickup heights for my strat and I must say in really pays off doing that. My sound is much more evenly distributed over the strings.

To check this you could change the pickup heights in different increments from both the bass side and the treble side. I have the feeling that the treble side of your pickup could be set a bit higher in order for the high e and b strings to actually shine as the other strings. Always do this is relatively small increments and remember how much you turned the screws, so you can set them back if you don't like the sound. Don't worry if you don't know exactly whether a pickup setting is right, as you can't go really wrong here (really personal taste), and it can also take a while before you actually hear everything properly (took me a couple of weeks before I had set everything perfectly).

By the way, if you are not comfortable doing this, don't worry about it, but I thought I would mention it to you anyways smile.gif

Assignment #2

Lesson
For this lesson I have picked an excellent lesson of Marcus Siepen: Basic Metal Rhythm Guitar. This lesson will cover quite a few rhythm patterns which are often used in metal, and by doing this lesson you will build further on improving your timing, as well as your picking skills (both downstroke picking as alternate picking).

As always, first learn the rhythmic patterns before attempting to do them at the actual speed. Pay attention to the different accents which are played during the lesson and search for a relatively high-gain overdriven sound (not too much as it could mask your own playing, so it's hard to find the points to improve wink.gif )

Deadline
Please try to get as much of the lesson done, but preferably at least until 0:46 smile.gif and it would be great if you could post a take showing your progress at around 22 January, or let me know how things are progressing by that time.

Exercise
To continue our little alternate picking exercise, I would like to ask you to continue working on the same exercise (just for a couple of minutes every day as a warm-up exercise), however I have included besides the C and A-shape major/minor chords also the E-shape major/minor chords (notice the barre-type fingering).

Please try to think each time you play these arpeggio's where is the root-note. If you have that completely straight, then you can also do the same with finding the major/minor third and finally the perfect fifth.

By doing this, you gradually develop:

1) Fretboard knowledge, in relation to chords
2) Intervals
3) Chord shapes (and CAGED system)

It would be nice if you could post a take on this new exercise at around 25th of January (however, if the Metal lesson is a bit tough, that would have priority of course smile.gif).

If you have a spare minute during the week, and not knowing what to do tongue.gif, you can also check out the theory board further (check out the CAGED lessons of Andrew, and things will fall into places soonish smile.gif).

Question
Which scale patterns are you currently able to play by heart? Minor pentatonic, Major scale, which positions? Based on your answer we can slowly implement also a bit of scale pattern knowledge into the MTP progress smile.gif

Good luck with the lesson, hopefully you will enjoy it and just ask if you have any questions rolleyes.gif

Roger

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 18 2009, 08:14 PM
Attached File(s)

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
big harry
post Jan 19 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #23

Learning Roadie - CHALLENGE STAR!

Member No.: 5.646

Hey guys
sorry for jumping in, just wanted to ask if i can borrow the triad lessons you posted
think i need them also cool.gif

thx and cya
KEEP ROCKIN

Harry

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
post Jan 19 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #24

Learning Tone Seeker
Group Icon

QUOTE (big harry @ Jan 19 2009, 06:43 PM) *
Hey guys
sorry for jumping in, just wanted to ask if i can borrow the triad lessons you posted
think i need them also cool.gif

thx and cya
KEEP ROCKIN

Harry

Sure no problem of course. You can also check out the complete SI lesson I did on that subject here.

Just let me know if you have any questions I can help with smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
big harry
post Jan 19 2009, 07:46 PM
Post #25

Learning Roadie - CHALLENGE STAR!

Member No.: 5.646

QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jan 19 2009, 07:14 PM) *
Sure no problem of course. You can also check out the complete SI lesson I did on that subject here.

Just let me know if you have any questions I can help with smile.gif

THX Roger

+Quote Post
Praetorian
post Jan 20 2009, 01:00 AM
Post #26

The new lesson looks great Roger and is coming along nicely...albeit slowly! I don't think I will be able to keep up with two lessons at a time though...I need to focus on the Marcus one, as it is a tough one!!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
post Jan 20 2009, 08:35 AM
Post #27

Learning Tone Seeker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jan 20 2009, 01:00 AM) *
The new lesson looks great Roger and is coming along nicely...albeit slowly! I don't think I will be able to keep up with two lessons at a time though...I need to focus on the Marcus one, as it is a tough one!!

Perfect, good to hear you like it and that you are making progress on it. It's fine to focus on the Marcus lesson of course, however if you could squeeze in the alternate picking exercise for only 3 - 5 minutes a day as a warm-up that would be great tongue.gif .

Btw did the pickup height changes been helpful to you, as you mentioned in chat that you would try that out Sunday night?

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Praetorian
post Jan 20 2009, 12:43 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jan 20 2009, 02:35 AM) *
Perfect, good to hear you like it and that you are making progress on it. It's fine to focus on the Marcus lesson of course, however if you could squeeze in the alternate picking exercise for only 3 - 5 minutes a day as a warm-up that would be great tongue.gif .

Btw did the pickup height changes been helpful to you, as you mentioned in chat that you would try that out Sunday night?

Let me clarify...I am absolutely incorporating that into my warm-ups! I just don't know that I will be able to make two videos. I will try though! I have been making small changes to the pickup heights...I am getting there!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
post Jan 20 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #29

Learning Tone Seeker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jan 20 2009, 12:43 PM) *
Let me clarify...I am absolutely incorporating that into my warm-ups! I just don't know that I will be able to make two videos. I will try though! I have been making small changes to the pickup heights...I am getting there!

That's perfectly fine, those basic chord shapes are quite important to memorize on the long-term as they will open up quite a few opportunities a few months down the line which spices up your rhythm playing.

E.g., I am currently making my 2nd SI lesson on how to use these 'simple triads shapes' and on-the-go transforming them into Maj7, m7, m6, 6 chords (but please forget about these things for now, as currently the basics are most important smile.gif) And I will actually continue making SI lessons on this subject (wan't to become the triad master tongue.gif).

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 20 2009, 12:52 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Praetorian
post Jan 22 2009, 02:00 AM
Post #30

Roger - I am struggling with this lesson much more than I thought. Just a frustrating update for you!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
post Jan 22 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #31

Learning Tone Seeker
Group Icon

Hi Ben,

You have sent me a PM about your struggle and first of all, I am glad that you send me a PM because if you are not feeling that you make any progress can be rather demotivating. By the way, I went through the same feelings in the past, so nothing strange is really happening smile.gif

You probably know that power chords are one of the building blocks of playing metal guitar, and actually also a very valuable addition to your chord library in general. That was one of the main reasons why I gave you this lesson. To be honest, the whole palm muting is rather secondary for me at this stage.

Would it be helpful for you to try to learn the first part of this lesson using no palm muting, but just trying to grasp the correct timing/rhythm with the power chords? You can then completely focus on 1 thing and that is grabbing the chords right and using the open strings as a bass line.

Believe it or not, but I honestly think that you can tackle that part at 66 bpm after some more practice? But, even at 30 or 40 bpm is fine for me. Speed will come with time, I would rather like to see that you can do the basic rhythm pattern (even if it's only 4 or 6 bars of the whole lesson) at a speed comfortable to you as that will be a good start into this new area of playing for you.

Also the following video instruction by Kris may be quite helpful for you how to do those powerchords: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/memberson...ower-chords.htm

I would suggest that you try the simplified approach with a metronome at a very low speed, only focus on the first 2 patterns and take it from there. Does that sound like something to do? If not, don't hesitate to tell me! smile.gif

Good luck Ben!

Roger

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Praetorian
post Jan 23 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #32

Roger, I just want to let you know that the lesson took a turn for the better last night. It all seemed to come together much better than before! Still not there yet, but getting there!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
post Jan 23 2009, 04:48 PM
Post #33

Learning Tone Seeker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jan 23 2009, 01:00 PM) *
Roger, I just want to let you know that the lesson took a turn for the better last night. It all seemed to come together much better than before! Still not there yet, but getting there!

That's absolutely awesome, and I am quite happy about this, as it clearly shows to you that it is indeed possible to actually break through certain moments in which you think you can't handle certain aspects of playing yet. It's in fact, the main reason why I was trying to push a bit more to stick with the lesson instead off changing it to something less difficult for you smile.gif

Good luck with the remainder of your 'struggle tongue.gif'.

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
post Jan 26 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #34

Learning Tone Seeker
Group Icon

How are things going Ben?

Not to put enormous pressure on you, but I would suggest that you make a video of your current level of playing the lesson of Marcus, and then we take it from there?

Cheers
Roger

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Praetorian
post Jan 26 2009, 02:48 PM
Post #35

Will do Roger. I had to work all weekend but have today and tomorrow off. Should be able to get it done tonight. It is still going slower than any other lesson I have ever tried, not sure why I am having so much trouble with this one! But...I guess that means I DO need this type of lesson! tongue.gif

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Praetorian
post Jan 26 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #36

Roger here it is...

66 bpm. Anything faster and it got very sloppy...sloppier than this! tongue.gif

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
post Jan 26 2009, 11:56 PM
Post #37

Learning Tone Seeker
Group Icon

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the video, I am very glad that you made it this far with this lesson! Going to comment on it tomorrow (don't have any time left now, sorry). But I will have your new assignment already ready for you to start of with:

Assignment #3

Lesson
It's solo-time once more for this assignment. We already started of with the Gm melodic solo of Carlos, and this time it's the very recent beginner lesson of Muris: Jumping Around - Beginner.

In this lesson, I would like you to focus on 2 things:

1) Most importantly, try to work as much as possible on your vibrato as this is essential for this type of solo. You will have plenty of possibiities in this lesson to work on smile.gif . In order to produce a nice vibrato, first practice it slowly with a steady movement from your whrist (don't use only your finger). Try to vibrate the note in such a way that it matches the actual feel of the solo. Also don't be hesitant to overdo it a bit, as this will only build extra strength in your fingers which ultimately means more control.

2) For this lesson, I would also like to stress the importance of actually knowing which notes you are playing. The solo is in A minor which has the same notes as C major (A, B, C, D, E, F, G). As this solo is about playing licks all over the fretboard, actually paying attention to which notes you play will increase your fretboard knowledge quite a lot. Most importantly, try always to see where the A note is (as this is the root note for the scale you are playing in).

Based on your results from the Gm solo of Carlos, I would estimate that you won't have too much trouble with the note patters, that's why I would like you to focus on the vibrato and what notes you are actually playing.

Deadline
It would be great if you could upload a video of this solo by the end of this week (February 1st). And please let me know how you are progressing over the week.

Extra assignments:
Please keep doing your warming-up exercise (the arpeggio minor/major triads) during all days. In addition, also keep practicing the Marcus lesson for a couple of minutes each day (you will see that you will steadily improve it! smile.gif ).

Good luck mate!

Cheers
Roger

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 26 2009, 11:56 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Praetorian
post Jan 27 2009, 12:01 AM
Post #38

Great Roger! I will get straight to it. I am leaving wednesday though...we are taking a family vacation in Disneyworld! But, I will see if I can get it down well enough for a video tomorrow night before we leave! Two nights practice may not be enough though! If not, it will be as soon as I get back!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
post Jan 27 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #39

Learning Tone Seeker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jan 27 2009, 12:01 AM) *
Great Roger! I will get straight to it. I am leaving wednesday though...we are taking a family vacation in Disneyworld! But, I will see if I can get it down well enough for a video tomorrow night before we leave! Two nights practice may not be enough though! If not, it will be as soon as I get back!

That would be great smile.gif ... How long are you away to Disneyworld?

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Praetorian
post Jan 27 2009, 12:36 AM
Post #40

QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jan 26 2009, 06:12 PM) *
That would be great smile.gif ... How long are you away to Disneyworld?

Just for a week...wednesday to wednesday.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2017 - 10:37 PM