Help Me Out On This Dilemma, :D
enforcer
Jan 11 2009, 09:16 AM
GMC:er
Well I have this problem, and I look forward to your suggestions about that biggrin.gif

While I am recording something, when the volume of the back track is low, the fastest parts start to get off tempo and when I got the back track high on volume, my bends and vibratos are not as perfect as they should... laugh.gif

What do you do about it? biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Drew604
Jan 11 2009, 09:42 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Sorry, I misinterpreted your 'dilemma' in my initial reply so I deleted it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Drew604: Jan 11 2009, 10:20 AM

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jan 11 2009, 10:36 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Well I'd put it on the high side of middling myself as going off tempo is worse than your bends and vibrato not being quite right.

+Quote Post
Vaialation1232
Jan 11 2009, 10:47 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (enforcer @ Jan 11 2009, 12:16 AM) *
Well I have this problem, and I look forward to your suggestions about that biggrin.gif

While I am recording something, when the volume of the back track is low, the fastest parts start to get off tempo and when I got the back track high on volume, my bends and vibratos are not as perfect as they should... laugh.gif

What do you do about it? biggrin.gif

You could play to a metronome at the BPM of the backing track...keeping you on tempo and letting you focus on bends/vibrato

Thats what i'd do at least

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 11 2009, 11:17 AM
Instructor
Golden middle, set it up so you can hear both backing and your playing,
something like that. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 11 2009, 11:52 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Record it two times, one with backing low and one with backing high.
Or four times, pan one low and one high to L and R.

Then in your DAW lower the volume for the sour parts

+Quote Post
berko
Jan 11 2009, 12:14 PM
When you do it with the BT loud are you're bends "worse" even after the recording when you can lower the BT volume, or do just feel so because nuances of vibrato and bending get swallowed up by the loud background music?

Anyway, my advice would be to find a middle volume where the BT rhythm is clearly audible and strong but your lead won't get "under" it. smile.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 11 2009, 12:30 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You need to hear what you are playing, so as everyone said - set the backing somwhere in the middle where it is clearly heard but your guitar is also..You will learn to concentrate to lower volume backings in time , just lock onto the drum beat so you don't go out of tempo...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
vampire14
Jan 11 2009, 12:30 PM
if i understood right the problom is you dont here the band and than you dont hit the right tone.
if so what i did is play the background medium low and put one headphone on. than you can here the bands in one ear and listen to the tempo on the other.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 11 2009, 12:36 PM
Instructor
Interesting dilemma there smile.gif

I see two solutions here. First one is to set up backing track in the middle (like Muris said) and learn to do both things well over it. Second solution is to record your solo with markers smile.gif So you mark the section with loud playing and recording , then you go in and record one with low backing smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 11 2009, 02:38 PM
Thank you people, I think I'll use both of the good advices, I'll try to find a golden middle and sync the metronome with bt, therefore I could hear the bt just fine to keep the right speed sync and feeling, and hear all the details of my playing, keeping the good vibrato and perfect pitch bends.

I am very glad that I had so much good advises, thank you all for solving my dilemma biggrin.gif

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Apr 30 2009, 05:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
This can be seen as irrelevant, but I actually tried something a bit strange once when playing with a backing track. I connected my KOSS iPod headphones to the guitar amplifier, and put them on my ears; then I connected some larger PC headphones to the iPod playing the backing track and put them over the first headphones, this way I could hear the backing track a bit lower, and my guitar sound higher, without missing the rhythm of the song.

This is probably pure rubbish, as:
1) I don't know if this actually helps
2) the headphones are bound to fall off after a while
3) it's extremely uncomfortable and it looks like you have a helmet fit for space travel !

Alex biggrin.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
JamesT
Apr 30 2009, 08:10 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I can relate to your dilemma for sure.
To me there seems to be an art to getting the "monitor mix" right for recording. If the guitar is too loud in the mix, you can loose the inspiration that comes from the harmony or underlying cords in the mix. If it's too soft, the tone can get kind of "wimpy" sounding. There surely is a sweet spot where you can hear the beat and harmony well enough, and yet you can hear yourself play such that it inspires you to reach for that sweet note, or play tightly with the backing tracks.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
May 1 2009, 07:49 AM
Instructor
I think that may help if you play without backing. That would give you confidence to not relay on the backing track. I think the problem is that you're depending too much on the backing and that's ok because we all do but sometimes it's a nice challenge to try to play the parts without any backing so we can hear the real thing and take care of bendings, un-acurate parts, etc.

I hope this helps a little too smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:35 PM