Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 6 Truths About Creativity (blog Post), A pretty good read (although it isn't exactly about music)
purple hayes
post Jan 12 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #1

Ultimate Guitar Hero

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.712

http://www.joethepeacock.com/2009/01/six-t...-creativity.php

I thought I'd post this for anyone who struggles with creativity like I do. For me, learning how to play the guitar is much easier than writing songs or parts to songs.

I can show people things I've learned to play but when it comes to playing something I've written on guitar... it's <crickets chirping>.

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jan 12 2009, 10:07 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

All great guitarists were great songwriters as well, and songwriting is a skill like any other - you learned it over time. You can become a professional composer if you want - people work hard all their life to achieve that kind of composing skills and it is NOT talent, it's just practice and hard work.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
berko
post Jan 12 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #3

GMC:er

Member No.: 4.782

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 12 2009, 10:07 PM) *
All great guitarists were great songwriters as well, and songwriting is a skill like any other - you learned it over time. You can become a professional composer if you want - people work hard all their life to achieve that kind of composing skills and it is NOT talent, it's just practice and hard work.

I can agree with that!

Thanks for sharing the blog btw, it was a great read!! smile.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
opeth.db
post Jan 12 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #4

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 5.886

Very nice article. I tend to think I am somewhat creative when it comes to music or at least the "arts". I do have an Art degree. I feel I know what sounds good or bad.

I have so many ideas in my head that its hard for me to express them on the guitar because I just dont know proper technique. I have actually put my creative side on the shelf right now to really understand the instrument I am playing. I can't wait till I have that moment of clarity on the guitar where I actually look at it and just know how to play rather than think I know how to play it.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
post Jan 12 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #5

Jazz Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 6.012

One thing I can say you about creativity is, that it cannot be forced, it requires relaxation, so forget about all this hard work, practice(that is good for learning the skills). You can't force it, it comes more like a play, game....
If you created one cool song in 40 hours, you can't say "Ok, I will work 5 hours every day, and in a 2 months I will have good CD with 8 cool songs". You can seat for hours, days beside guitar/keyboard/computer and nothing comes...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 05:09 AM