+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
post Jan 14 2009, 06:10 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.625

Welcome to GMC Ash!!!
I think you'll be posting your doubts when they come out and they are specific. There are many students that aks about picking problems, sweeping problems. So be free to ask any doubts you have so we can be there to help you through smile.gif

Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jan 14 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.601

First, thanks for all the warm welcomes, I have noted the french and the french efforts of some... smile.gif

I can't thank you all or reply individually, that would flood the thread, but I have picked a few specific comments below.

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 14 2009, 01:17 PM) *
As far as your questions go in order for me to spot some things you might be doing wrong, I would need to see you play smile.gif
Lots of members record videos, upload them on youtube and then embed the video on forum asking is this good, bad, what about my solo, sound etc.
So I strongly suggest doing that as it will enable communication and help as in real time smile.gif

That is really interesting and something that I will seriously consider, thanks for the suggestion.

QUOTE (skennington @ Jan 14 2009, 03:04 PM) *
Great intro Phllippe and welcome to GMC. As stated earlier, I also would strongle advise you to focus on alternate picking as this is probably the #1 bad habbit, all downstrokes. Trust me, I know.. rolleyes.gif

That's really interesting too, and has been mentioned by others. I am already doing some alternate picking, for example on scales, where it is really easy because each string is usually picked twice, so it helps practising as well, one note up, the other note down, and I try to alternate which.

However, I have also been trying it on arpegios, and what I do (and this is the part where I am not sure whether I am doing it right) is using down picking when I am going down the arpegio (but actually up in the notes) except for the last string for which I pick it up, for example. Is this the right way to do this or would it be better to have alternates all down the arpegio ?

QUOTE (utak3r @ Jan 14 2009, 03:26 PM) *
In school I had Do Re Mi, too, but I've learned C D E long time ago. Now I have sometimes another problem - in Poland I learned that your note B I was calling H and by B I was meaning your Bb.... geez.... it gets me sometimes confused wink.gif

Wow, that's a lot worse than my difficulty, at least I know that when there is only one letter, it's anglo-saxon, and when there are 2, it's "latin"... smile.gif

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jan 14 2009, 03:32 PM) *
We all (instructors) have problems when signing level for each lesson,
that is very personal matter and not everyone will have
same problems or progress with certain lesson.
My advice is not to pay too much attention on levels,
of course you should stick with beginners lessons now
but also try some higher level stuff,
you don't have to master every lesson 100%,
learn just few licks from other lessons and you'll benefit a lot. smile.gif

This is very helpful as well. More advanced topics look quite intimidating to me, especially the introduction part because the instructor usually likes to demonstrate what it can do, but I'll search there as well...

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 14 2009, 03:41 PM) *
I have made a small series for beginners, you can check it out here.
Since you already worked you're way through Andrew's lessons and some of my own chord lessons (stay tuned for more of those btw the chord workshop series just started! smile.gif ), you can continue checking out other lessons from that plan. There are lot of theory recommendations there, but if you already know theory you can skip that and move on to video lessons right away! smile.gif

Thanks for the link, I am on my way to checking it out...

QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Jan 14 2009, 06:10 PM) *
I think you'll be posting your doubts when they come out and they are specific. There are many students that aks about picking problems, sweeping problems. So be free to ask any doubts you have so we can be there to help you through smile.gif

Thanks for the advice. At the moment, I don't think I have problems except for generally clumsy fingers, but they are improving. My concern was really about "common" pitfalls, like the alternate picking mentioned by many.

So again, thanks everyone, I'll be back here soon...
+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
post Jan 14 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #24

Learning Tone Seeker
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 5.631

Welcome to GMC! smile.gif

"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
post Jan 14 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #25

Group: Passive
Member No.: 3.084

welcome to the site

+Quote Post
post Jan 15 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 1.546

QUOTE (utak3r @ Jan 14 2009, 04:02 PM) *
yeah, that's why I'm trying to forget this my old habit now wink.gif

Why? I would love to be as frickin' tight and badass as Hetfield is when it comes to riffing. Seriously, the way he pulls of the crazy fast riffs while still being able to concentrate fully on his singing...Amazing...smile.gif
+Quote Post
post Jan 15 2009, 03:38 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 5.610

Welcome to gmc Ash, you have found the right place smile.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2016 - 05:13 PM