Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question About Deleting Seperate Tracks
Jesse
post Jan 14 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.426

When I got a song, and I can play the guitar part I always want to record it, of course, but instead of using a backing track, isnt there a way to just delete an instruments track on the studio recording?

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jan 14 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #2

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.410

You can't delete an instrument track on a song you listen ( famous song on CD)...You can only do that if you get the whole project for recording software with all the tracks recorded individually.There are some ways (software) for diminishing the loudness of vocals or some instruments but it doesn't give you usable results..

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jan 14 2009, 12:50 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Jan 14 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.892

There is no way you can do that Jesse , unless you have actual project with all the instruments, where you could mute anything you want!

Imagine if you could - there would be millions law suits happening with copyright issues smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Torben
post Jan 14 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4.880

I agree with the others. But maybe you can find what you need in the form of backing tracks on the internet?

Here's an option:
http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

Just a suggestion.

+Quote Post
Jesse
post Jan 14 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Torben @ Jan 14 2009, 01:00 PM) *
I agree with the others. But maybe you can find what you need in the form of backing tracks on the internet?

Here's an option:
http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

Just a suggestion.
lol, thanks, but I said"When I got a song, and I can play the guitar part I always want to record it, of course, but instead of using a backing track, isnt there a way to just delete an instruments track on the studio recording?
"

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jan 14 2009, 01:09 PM
Post #6

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

Check out the jamvox!
http://www.voxamps.com/jamvox/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jesse
post Jan 14 2009, 01:11 PM
Post #7

whoho! Thanks! That thing is awesome. 200$ :| Holy ....biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Jesse: Jan 14 2009, 01:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
post Jan 14 2009, 01:16 PM
Post #8

Instructor

Member No.: 1.439

Deleting guitar parts is not really possible..

I know Vox recently released something stating that it removes guitar from original tracks, but the results are not really satisfying I think.
But you can find out more about that here...

Sometimes you get better results if the guitar was recorded the hard right or hard left of the spectrum. In that case you can take the mono file of either side that does not contain the guitar and make it a stereo file. You might get descent results that way. It works good on some older Jimm Hendrix's stuff...

Hope that helps!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jan 14 2009, 02:51 PM
Post #9

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

The best reult is as David describes. For the Vox though it probably relies on a slightly different method for instruments, or vocals, that are panned centre but - and it's a big but - you will lose a lot more of the recording then if its been panned hard left or right. The technique relies on attenuating the signal you want to get rid of. However it's almost certain that you won't just mask out a single instrument but also attenuate some of the frequency range of others - so for a centre panned guitar you could lose a lot of mid range type stuff. Nonetheless, whilst the resulting recording won't be great it might be acceptable for practicing against.

BTW - you can do the same thing in Audacity etc. (I think there's a vsti in Audacity that will do it on the fly for you.) Other software editors/DAWS you'll probably have to do it manually.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
utak3r
post Jan 14 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 6.530

The problem with removing guitars is in frequency spectrum - while you can assume a human voice is in some narrow channel, the guitars in much more wide one... cutting it off will destroy a whole track.

--------------------
sooner or later... you will meet the undertaker...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
post Jan 14 2009, 04:18 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3.401

Some bands that have 2 guitarists record one hard left and one hard right so you can get it so you can't hear one guitar but most bands don't do this and it is impossible to get rid of an instrument effectively from a complete recording.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jan 14 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #12

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

For those who might want to try here's how:

1. Open the stereo audio file in an audio editor.
2. Select and reverse the phase of the left channel.
3. Mix both the left and right channels of the stereo file into a single-channel (mono) audio file.
4. Split the single-channel audio file back into a stereo file that has the newly mixed single-channel on both left and right channels.
5. Now reverse the phase of the left channel back again, the same way it was accomplished earlier.

As I said before, it won't end up with a great reproduction (and may be unusable) but in some cases this will work and it may be enough for practicing to.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
post Jan 15 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #13

Jazz Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 6.012

The best you can achieve is to use equalizer to adjust the volume of the certain frequencies, like if you want to delete bass track, select lower frequency range and move the slider down. It could effect other channels as well, but that is the best you can get.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
post Jan 15 2009, 06:37 PM
Post #14

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.625

I agree with Vasilije. Some home players come equiped with a function that says "Karaoke", that's nothing but a filter. So you can try to put the track into an audio editor like Cool Edit and use the filters until you get some results. Obviously the signal quality will be afected but this could be an option.

smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2017 - 09:36 PM