Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jamming on the Pentatonic Scale
Guitar Master123
post Jan 4 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.037

I want to learn how to solo on the pentatonic scale so if someone asked me to play something for them I would have the perfect thing but to do that I need help. So I have a question. So say you are jamming with the pentatonic scale. Are you just hitting notes you think will sound good or is there a pattern? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Guitar Master123: Jan 6 2007, 06:19 PM

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 4 2007, 08:33 AM
Post #2

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

Are you just hitting notes you think will sound good or is there a pattern?

At first you will be guessing - eventually you will find the patterns that work for you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guitar Master123
post Jan 5 2007, 02:34 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 4 2007, 07:33 AM) *
At first you will be guessing - eventually you will find the patterns that work for you.

blink.gif What do you meen when you say 'At first you will be guessing'? wink.gif

When You solo is it mostly position shifting from different boxes or can you play a solo in only one box and still make it sound cool?

This post has been edited by Guitar Master123: Jan 5 2007, 05:06 AM

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!

+Quote Post
erik
post Jan 5 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 913

When you've just learned the pentatonic scale, you will have to just hit notes in that scale and hope it sounds good because your not experienced with the scale. Eventually you will find out what sounds cool and what you like, and then you can use those patterns when you jam.

pentatonic scale. Are you just hitting notes you think will sound good or is there a pattern?

the basic patterns is the boxes in the scales. If you stick to one box it will almost always sound ok, but you have to develop your own ways to use the boxes if you want it to sound like you! and then eventually you will probably develop patterns beetween multiple boxes in the scale, which can sound even better. It can still sound cool in one box, many cool soloes is just in one box

but the "creating your own pattern-thing": I never said to myself "I have to make a pattern". I just started playing the boxes, and eventually i noticed that I had created my own way of playing without ever thinking about it

+Quote Post
Guitar Master123
post Jan 6 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (erik @ Jan 5 2007, 03:38 PM) *
Eventually you will find out what sounds cool and what you like, and then you can use those patterns when you jam.The basic patterns is the boxes in the scales.

What kind of pattern?

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!

+Quote Post
raqroso
post Jan 9 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 867

If you're asking about "patterns" I think he means little 3-4-5-6 or more note 'runs' that you play

If you watch Kris' Pentatonic lessons he shows you some "patterns" to tie the boxes together ...by taking a
6 (or 5 or 7 or 8 - whatever) note 'pattern' in one of the box positions and moving it to another box position it sounds different but similar at the same time...

I work with 'sequences' a lot. Sequences are "patterns" too I suppose.... like going up the scale by playing 3 notes up and 2 back, 3 up and 2 back, etc.... these "sequences" you begin to hear in a lot of music -
the point: is you develop your own favorite 'patterns, licks and sequences that you like and it begins to shape your sound and playing style when you blend them all together.

Another thing to do is to play a 'pattern' of 5 or 6 notes in the minor Pent scale and then play the same thing in the same fret position but use the major pent scale... or stay in the same fret position and play the 5 or 6 note pattern iyou like in box 1 and then stay in the same fret position but play it in the box 4 shape.

+Quote Post
moorkop
post Jan 9 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1.045

It also depends on your music, when playing blues (especially the slow ones) the solo´s sometimes only use 7 notes of the whole pentatonic box, no octaves and it still sounds totally amazing
I always use a lot of bends and therefore have some bend licks and ascend and descend the scale, so follow the chords
I´m not much a speedpicking pattern person, so i always just try to play something and after a while it will sound good depending on the licks you know.

But the best notes to hold on to, with vibrato for a few secs are usually the chord notes, so if you´re playing in A minor pentatonic, landing on an A always sounds good (to me it does biggrin.gif )

It also depends on your music, when playing blues (especially the slow ones) the solo´s sometimes only use 7 notes of the whole pentatonic box, no octaves and it still sounds totally amazing
I always use a lot of bends and therefore have some bend licks and ascend and descend the scale, so follow the chords
I´m not much a speedpicking pattern person, so i always just try to play something and after a while it will sound good depending on the licks you know.

But the best notes to hold on to, with vibrato for a few secs are usually the chord notes, so if you´re playing in A minor pentatonic, landing on an A always sounds good (to me it does biggrin.gif )

--------------------
gear
guitar: ibanez SA 260 FM
amp: hughes & ketler blue edition 60 wts (in garage)
amp you hear: crappy yahama borrowed from friend
effects: dunlop jimi hendrix wahwah

+Quote Post
fretdancer
post Jan 9 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 370

I dont get where you say 7 notes?

The Pentatonic scale has by definition only * 5 * notes (the word "Penta" means 5.)
The Blues scale adds an extra note which is the flattened 5th degree of the scale, so at best this is 6 notes.

I think you perhaps mean play the pattern, or box using only 7 loctions within the box? (using a blues box with 2 notes per string and 3 where the flatted 5th occurs means there are potentially 14 locations in a box)
There are however no more than *6* notes.

I think I understand what your saying but I am clarifying it for those that may become confused by your description.

Apologies if *my* explanation is somewhat adding to the confusion.

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Guitar Master123
post Jan 11 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #9

I meen do you make up as you go?

wink.gif

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!

+Quote Post
raqroso
post Jan 12 2007, 02:21 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 867

Do you make it up as you go?

Yes.

Sort of.

That is called improvising - just play whatever comes in your head:
But if you were doing this you would naturally play licks or parts of licks and phrases you already know and just mix them up unless you really tried not to.

Like talking:
If someone asked you to make up a story - you might say: "Once upon a time .. blah blah blah..."
Did you make that up? Is it something you said before? heard before? did you 'rip it off? Did you use it in another story?

Good players say Music is like talking
(eventually I hope to get to that point....
to be able to express myself with the guitar.

+Quote Post
ezravdb
post Jan 28 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 764

haha how can guitar be your soul if you dont know what improvising is XD hmm whatever..

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Guitar Master123
post Feb 17 2007, 07:22 AM
Post #12

Huh?

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
post Feb 17 2007, 10:53 AM
Post #13

Rock Instructor
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 1.145

my friend

i think you should Start with just going back and forth on the pentatonic scales and you will see it comes to life . find your self some improvising background . that you know the scale the easy one is 12 bar blues in E

just let your finger do the magic it takes time but it will happen eventully

Good like and don't let go sometimes it is hard sometimes you get moments that you worked so hard for them wink.gif

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez Rg2570, Pod XTL, peavey classic 30w
Guitar it is a passion

a link to the Aspiring instructor

+Quote Post
Robin
post Feb 18 2007, 01:50 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1.061

first I learned the whole scale up and down.
then I just started improvising all over the scale, it will sound good aslong as you're in the scale I guess tongue.gif
after getting used to it I stole some licks from here and there, made up some of my own and then I just started jumping around anywhere in the scale.

This post has been edited by Robin: Feb 18 2007, 01:52 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guitar Master123
post Feb 18 2007, 03:09 AM
Post #15

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I get it now. I said huh to Ezravdb's post.

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 09:39 PM