Syn Gates?
Engellos
Jan 5 2007, 06:41 AM
GMC:er
This would be my first post here, I want to say thanks alot Kirs! I started playing in September (Joined GMC in November) and I've already made leaps and bounds with your teaching videos; faster than I ever thought I could learn!

I know Synyster Gates of Avenged Sevenfold isn't anywhere close to a guitar legend, but I have been truly mesmerized by his solos. I would really appreciate it if somebody could tell me what scales he uses and the other nuances in his style of play! smile.gif Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Jan 5 2007, 04:49 PM
Haha, no offense, but well... first off you can start by playing really sloppy, and unsynchronizing your picking as much as possible. Throw in some two-fingered right-hand tapped licks, even if you have no ability to actually pull them off. Some shoddy sounding random string bends. No consistency or direction in your improvisations (just one poorly executed wanabe shred maneuver after another). Then you’ll be ready to solo like this! ohmy.gif

I counter-suggest a Paul Gilbert style lesson instead. tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 5 2007, 05:03 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (InstruMental Case @ Jan 5 2007, 06:49 PM) *
Haha, no offense, but well... first off you can start by playing really sloppy, and unsynchronizing your picking as much as possible. Throw in some two-fingered right-hand tapped licks, even if you have no ability to actually pull them off. Some shoddy sounding random string bends. No consistency or direction in your improvisations (just one poorly executed wanabe shred maneuver after another). Then you’ll be ready to solo like this! ohmy.gif

naughty you...that's evil

However I must say I am not completely convinced either from the live performance - however, I would like to hear a studio recording. I am sure he sounds great and they have cool songs.

Engellos: Welcome - and glad to have you here! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Jan 5 2007, 05:37 PM
Haha, I really don’t mean to be an a**, but just about everything I’ve heard about that band really frustrates me. My friend showed me one of their studio songs and it actually did sound okay. Definitely a major clean up job for whoever was producing that album! Maybe they secretly paid a better guitarist to come in and lay down the tracks, because there’s no way that guy is capable of cleanly playing live what was on that studio track.

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jan 5 2007, 07:36 PM
WOW lol that was very bad xD :|

but paul gilbert rocked

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Engellos
Jan 5 2007, 10:10 PM
LOL! No, its cool. I expected sombody to bash him; the pop music always gets riticuled by other musisians. I honestly have never heard him live so you could be right for all I know. What I do know is the solos recorded on their albums are amazing, and thats what I'd like to learn.

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jan 6 2007, 04:42 AM
QUOTE (InstruMental Case @ Jan 5 2007, 04:49 PM) *

huh.gif That was really bad, I've never really liked those guys, I have to agree with InstruMental Case on this one, I mean he put on armband on his strings and he was still noisy!! I don't think he knows what a metronome is? Give InstruMental Case's Guitars Suck series a look, he put some incredible guitarists in there(that play clean without an armband!).
But if you really want to be like him, take some of the techniques he uses, play it to a metronome and gradually increase speed, and focus on keeping your sound CLEAN, and IN TIME, and you'll probably sound better than him live.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 6 2007, 11:31 AM
GMC Founder
I still have to say that the studio recording probably sounds great - judging from all questions I get about this band/guitarist recently - I really should check it out...

--------------------

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Jan 6 2007, 04:51 PM
Here's one of the songs I keep hearing about.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Jan 6 2007, 07:23 PM
QUOTE (InstruMental Case @ Jan 5 2007, 03:49 PM) *

why dont you go and write the solo like the sidewinder one then?

+Quote Post
Screech1989
Jan 6 2007, 07:40 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 6 2007, 10:31 AM) *
I still have to say that the studio recording probably sounds great - judging from all questions I get about this band/guitarist recently - I really should check it out...

Yeah, they're gonna make sure that it sounds good in the studio. tongue.gif

To be honest, Synester might be a little bit drunk in that solo vid. But hey, who really knows right?

+Quote Post
Braymond
Jan 6 2007, 07:42 PM
QUOTE (Engellos @ Jan 5 2007, 10:10 PM) *
LOL! No, its cool. I expected sombody to bash him; the pop music always gets riticuled by other musisians. I honestly have never heard him live so you could be right for all I know. What I do know is the solos recorded on their albums are amazing, and thats what I'd like to learn.

I'm with you on this one Engellos. Avenged Sevenfold ROCKS The only reason I listen to them is to here the guitar playing, but like you I too havn't heard them live so who knows how they sound. But I do know that the music on their alblum sounds good and thats all I need. cool.gif (Dont bash me too hard blink.gif )

--------------------
One day I will be as great as Kristofer Dahl.....MUHAHAHAHAHA

+Quote Post
LoveJimboLove
Jan 7 2007, 12:22 AM
Hmmm, I've seen them live a few times, and although I was a fan of their first 2 albums I do admit from a technical point of view he is nothing special. When playing live I often noted a number of bum notes, mistakes and dropped picks. Now I was drunk and in the pits so shouldn't have cared, so if I was sober and watching from afar it must have sounded nasty!

...then again, I'm critical of Hammerfall's live shows...so you probably shouldn't listen to me rolleyes.gif

--------------------
www.myspace.com/idkillyouformyself

Guitars:
Jackson RR1 Snow w/ black pin stripes
-Duncan

Jackson KE2 Emerald Green
-Duncan

Jackson Soloist SL1 Lightning sky
-Duncan

ESP M-II Urban Camo
-EMG

Amps:

Practice
Marshall MS4 and Marshall AVTX 275

Gig
Marshall AVTX 112 412xA and 412xB

Pedals:
Marshall Guv'nor 2 and JH-1

+Quote Post
Fender23strat
Jan 7 2007, 12:56 AM
Wow that video does make him look terrible. But the Albums sound great. That's sad. But now I've got a question. The armband he had on it... is that supposed to help you out while playing or what. I mean i understand it's there to lessen excess noise but could it help you practice or anything? Is there any good out of it or does it just make you lazier while playing?

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jan 7 2007, 07:21 AM
QUOTE (Fender23strat @ Jan 7 2007, 12:56 AM) *
Wow that video does make him look terrible. But the Albums sound great. That's sad. But now I've got a question. The armband he had on it... is that supposed to help you out while playing or what. I mean i understand it's there to lessen excess noise but could it help you practice or anything? Is there any good out of it or does it just make you lazier while playing?

I would agree with the latter(make you lazier while playing), as you could tell from the video it doesn't cover up sloppy playing, and as you can tell from Paul Gilbert's video, having a good muting technique with your left and right hand sounds much better the armband. You can try it if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Fender23strat
Jan 7 2007, 05:19 PM
QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Jan 7 2007, 12:21 AM) *
I would agree with the latter(make you lazier while playing), as you could tell from the video it doesn't cover up sloppy playing, and as you can tell from Paul Gilbert's video, having a good muting technique with your left and right hand sounds much better the armband. You can try it if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Ya i figured it wouldn't have anything beneficial about it. Thanks Dime.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:48 AM