Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help With Buying Recording Gear
Shred Kid
post Jan 30 2009, 01:21 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.826

Ok so I'm running Cubase LE on a computer with Windows XP. I want to buy a mixer that will give me enough channels to mic up a drum kit and I want to be able to connect it to my computer via usb? does anyone know the difference between an analog and digital mixer? Also right now i'm using an alpha lexicon box to record guitar through some normal speakers and am running it like this.
Computer<->box<->head->cab
box->speakers
I'm using a 100 watt ashton head and every time I turn on the distortion is sounds really bad. Is this probably because I don't have flat line speakers and should I get flat line speakers if I want to make my distorted guitar parts sound good on playback smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
post Jan 30 2009, 01:57 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6.142

Now I'm sure that a lot of people here will be able to answer to some of your questions better than me so I will just get to the things I do know!

I've heard only good things about this mixer Peavey PV10 USB, should you want one with USB, I believe there are quite a few Behringer mixers with support for connecting a USB module.
I use a Behringer mixer myself and they are a quite nice choice if you don't want to spend too much, good bang for the buck.

I'm not sure what would be the best choice tho, I mean, for the same price of the mixer I linked you I'm quite sure you could get both a decent mixer + soundcard!
The sound you would get out of hooking up your mixer through USB is from what I've heard/understood not going to be optimal.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Eclipse I CTM Full Thickness, Ibanez RG470 with EMG81/85 pickups.
Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT XL

+Quote Post
Shred Kid
post Jan 30 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Sigfridsson @ Jan 30 2009, 11:57 PM) *
Now I'm sure that a lot of people here will be able to answer to some of your questions better than me so I will just get to the things I do know!

I've heard only good things about this mixer Peavey PV10 USB, should you want one with USB, I believe there are quite a few Behringer mixers with support for connecting a USB module.
I use a Behringer mixer myself and they are a quite nice choice if you don't want to spend too much, good bang for the buck.

I'm not sure what would be the best choice tho, I mean, for the same price of the mixer I linked you I'm quite sure you could get both a decent mixer + soundcard!
The sound you would get out of hooking up your mixer through USB is from what I've heard/understood not going to be optimal.

Thanks for that, that mixer looks good smile.gif When you say soundcard, do you mean the soundcard thats part of the computer hardware, because I don't think mine's very good. Should I replace that as well?

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
post Jan 30 2009, 02:18 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6.142

QUOTE (Shred Kid @ Jan 30 2009, 02:05 PM) *
Thanks for that, that mixer looks good smile.gif When you say soundcard, do you mean the soundcard thats part of the computer hardware, because I don't think mine's very good. Should I replace that as well?

Yeah when I spoke of the soundcard, I did indeed intend your computers hardware sound interface.
Well, ideally you would get a proper recording sound card in order to hook up your main mix from the mixer to the computer.

I wouldn't recommend you any specific card here as I don't have very broad experience with them but I'm sure someone else here can recommend you something specifically!
Seems you can get ok stuff for around 200$

If you would use USB the mixer itself would act as the sound interface so I guess it would be good if you just want an all in one type of deal!

However, I guess you need to ask yourself how much cash do you want to spend and how "professional" you want it to be?

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Eclipse I CTM Full Thickness, Ibanez RG470 with EMG81/85 pickups.
Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT XL

+Quote Post
Shred Kid
post Jan 30 2009, 02:27 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Sigfridsson @ Jan 31 2009, 12:18 AM) *
Yeah when I spoke of the soundcard, I did indeed intend your computers hardware sound interface.
Well, ideally you would get a proper recording sound card in order to hook up your main mix from the mixer to the computer.

I wouldn't recommend you any specific card here as I don't have very broad experience with them but I'm sure someone else here can recommend you something specifically!
Seems you can get ok stuff for around 200$

If you would use USB the mixer itself would act as the sound interface so I guess it would be good if you just want an all in one type of deal!

However, I guess you need to ask yourself how much cash do you want to spend and how "professional" you want it to be?

Ohhh now I get it I think. So I need it to go Instrument->mixer->soundcard->pc. Is an example of a soundcard the protools mbox?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jan 31 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

shredkid (cool nick btw smile.gif ) you gotta buy a mixer to mic up a drum kit, but you don't need a mixer with USB connection. Mixer with USB connection doesn't give you a digital signal per-channel in PC, it only streams a main stereo out.

Also I wanted to ask you are you sure about micing a drum set? Cause although it may look easy I would never do something like that on my own, too complicated. It's not about the interface or mixer at all. It's about the microphones and the room you have as well. Do you have drum mic set, and proper studio room for micing the drum?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th March 2017 - 10:01 PM