Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scales for soloing, Need some help..
erik
post Jan 6 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 913

I'm getting kind of bored by the "same 'ol" pentatonics, and would like to learn some new scales..
The diatonic minor scale in E is the same as pentatonic minor in C# right? is there a special way to use both these scales together? And how do I use arpeggios? I couldnt find arpeggios under scales at chordsandscales.co.uk, so im guessing they are called something else? Or maybe they arent defined as a scale at all?

And where is the flat fift? is it (in e minor pentatonic) the b flat and e flat?

Please tell me wich scales I should use to play soloes (metal..) and if it got a nickname, please tell me the "real name" so I can find it on a guitar scale generator smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
post Jan 12 2007, 07:58 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1.066

QUOTE (erik @ Jan 6 2007, 04:08 PM) *
I'm getting kind of bored by the "same 'ol" pentatonics, and would like to learn some new scales..
The diatonic minor scale in E is the same as pentatonic minor in C# right? is there a special way to use both these scales together? And how do I use arpeggios? I couldnt find arpeggios under scales at chordsandscales.co.uk, so im guessing they are called something else? Or maybe they arent defined as a scale at all?

And where is the flat fift? is it (in e minor pentatonic) the b flat and e flat?
Please tell me wich scales I should use to play soloes (metal..) and if it got a nickname, please tell me the "real name" so I can find it on a guitar scale generator smile.gif

Arpeggios isn't really up my alley yet but it is the right name and as far as I know it havent got any other name.

If you want to find out where the flat fifth is I suggest you check out some of the solo lessons by Kris here on GMC. Stuff like Kirk Hammet stylish lessons etc. is more than likely to utilize the flat fifth. Right now it's too early for me to think long enough to explain it wink.gif. Same goes for solos, check out some of the solo lessons here at gmc, the scale is usually provided. And if you need some variation just take that scale generator you got, pick one at random, learn it and see what you can do with it.

Anything can be metal if you just try wink.gif

This post has been edited by Stålkonsum: Jan 12 2007, 07:59 AM

+Quote Post
raqroso
post Jan 12 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 867

[quote name='erik' date='Jan 6 2007, 11:08 PM' post='18823']
The diatonic minor scale in E is the same as pentatonic minor in C# right?

I'm pretty sure you mean C# minor and E major contain the same notes. They do.

C# MINOR: C# D# E F# G# A B
E MAJOR : E F# G# A B C# D#

Every major key has a relative minor key (found three frets below)
they contain the same notes... That's whey when you are jamming in the
Pettatonic box we all know (1-4, 1-3,1-3, etc..) you can slide it back 3 frets
jam in the sam box and sound good. It's the same notes.

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
post Jan 24 2007, 10:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.088

It's so easy to get stuck in the pentatonic, I'd recommend doing what I'm doing now and learning the modes. Eight different scale sounds from learning just one scale and how to apply it in different ways.

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 05:31 AM