post Feb 3 2009, 07:12 AM
Post #41

Accomplished Tone Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.872

Thanks Pedja. Awesome Collab.
See my comments below. ---

JamesT (5:37- 6:15)

Sound – Distorted, fits the backing track, notes come out. I would perhaps add some more depth with it either in EQ’s or effects. Good job!

--- sorry mellow.gif , I submitted my solo'd take dry. (probably should've sent it in with effects) In my submittal with backing track, I used a stereo delay of about 20 milliseconds in one channel and 15 milliseconds in the other (synchronized to the tempo). This gives a stereo effect without modulation. Then I added a fairly long (bright hall) reverb to get it to float in the mix.

Intro – Very good intro, slide into a long note followed by another long one. Typical development trick used in all styles. Excellent work.

--- got that slide intro idea from Wallimans Satriani Legato lesson. wink.gif Thanks David!

Phrasing/time feel/rhythm – I really like your phrasing and rhythmic ideas. Your time feel was noticeable in legato and from straight intro which I will talk about later. Your broken rhythmic figures over F#min part were perfect and very fresh compared to all other takes. Excellent work !

---- thanks. smile.gif

Development/melodic shapes – Your solo was telling me story, I like that about it. There was intro development and ending very specific as well as climax points both low and high. Excellent work.

---- cool.gif

Techniques – This area is your weakest in this solo. There were some unwanted noises when you were shifting strings , so I suggest working more on muting. Lot of people work on right hand muting but overlook importance of left hand muting. I think you need to work on left hand muting more when you are changing strings. Also your legato tends to drop your phrasing and you play a bit behind the beat (not too much tough !). So I suggest your practice more your legato techniques as you have very good melodic ideas that will come out even better with stronger technique !

--- for sure, technique is why I joined GMC. Gonna have to stick with it. With this take, I made sure to include some alternate picking (that's the 8th note triplets you hear in the middle section). I'm still very slow with AP, but still want to make sure to use some in each solo.

Outro/ending – Excellent idea for ending! You started with slow rhythm (half time feel) and even ended with that same idea! Great work!

---- Thanks. Ending is just two back to back arpeggios tracking the chord changes of your rythm guitar.

Overall James I really liked your melodic ideas and development trough out this solo. If I remember correctly (correct me if I am wrong please), but you were composing this solo is that right? Either way it sounds very melodic and strong. I have to emphasize legato as technical practice as well as left hand muting. You handled very well dim7 part but still in future more needs to happen over this – we will talk about it in next collaboration!
Thank you for your take JamesT !

---- Yes it was composed. I felt that I had to "think ahead" with all of the key changes going on. Once I identified all the changes, I just jammed over (and over and over biggrin.gif ) the entire track until I had an idea of where to go with it. The ending was entirely transtribed to find the notes of the arpeggios and make them fit over your backing.

Looking forward to next time and I really like the idea of sort of a "classroom" like I read about in the upload thread where you would ask us to focus on some specific thing for our takes and provide guidance as to how to achieve it.
Thanks again for everything.

Jim.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Feb 3 2009, 08:33 AM
Post #42

Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 4.276

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Feb 3 2009, 02:47 AM) *
Are you sure no matter what ?
I have to think of some insane challenge now ... laugh.gif

Just bring it biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
howermike
post Feb 3 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #43

GMC:er

Member No.: 5.017

Your comments are very good and has helped me a lot
.. some things I will take a long time to fix ..
I am very much looking
forward for next..

+Quote Post
Deleted
post Feb 3 2009, 07:04 PM
Post #44

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.240

Thanks for the advises, Pedja wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Feb 3 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #45

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.892

@JamesT

You welcome Jim !

I agree with you, classroom type collaborations will be of much value to everybody. I have some workers in my apartment until saturday but I hope to post something on Sunday already for you guys.
Look forward having you in next one !

@audiopaal

Its already been brought hahaha laugh.gif

@howermike

Thank you Mike. I am glad you found comments useful. Its all a process, somethings will click over night some will take more time, but no matter what try to stay with your practicing and improvement will happen.

Will let you know when next one is up and running , thanks smile.gif

@Deleted

You welcome man smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Feb 4 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #46

Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 4.276

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Feb 3 2009, 10:40 PM) *
@audiopaal

Its already been brought hahaha laugh.gif

Yikes blink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
big harry
post Feb 7 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #47

Learning Roadie - CHALLENGE STAR!

Member No.: 5.646

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Feb 1 2009, 11:55 PM) *

big harry (1:25 – 1:53)

Sound – The notes come out clean but It sounds like it has lots of distortion there. I would take it down a bit, to give more sustain and clarity for notes to ring out.

Intro - I like your intro as it has repetition and different endings. However some notes don’t come out as strong as they should , so you should work on that in future .

Phrasing/time feel/rhythm – Good job with all of these. There were couple places where you were falling behind the beat , but overall it was fairly strong playing.

Development/melodic shapes – Definitely happening, I am very pleased with this area.

Technique – Trough most of the solo sound good , however in couple of sections it sounds like you are missing some notes. I suggest you work on alternate and economy picking a bit more – that should do the work!

Outro/ending – Good note choice but lack of technique made you slow down in phrasing hence it didn’t come out 100% strong.

Overall since this is your first ever collaboration and recording, I must say I am very pleased with your effort. You have been member at GMC for short period of time and managed to show me that you are real hard worker. All the lessons you posted and other videos show your improvement on immediate basis, and I must say I am very happy because of that.
Keep up the improvement and work on things I mentioned if possible !
Thank you for your take Harry!

THX alot Pedja
you are totally right with all comments and i am very pleased with the final result tongue.gif
i thought the critics will be much harder *hehehe*
in fact that you left some hair on my head i would like to thank you for that collab
very nice peace of music
i will take all of your advices and work on them, hope Andru can help me out with that problems and maybe you too ???

THX and cheers
Harry

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Feb 7 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #48

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.892

QUOTE (audiopaal @ Feb 4 2009, 12:59 AM) *
Yikes blink.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (big harry @ Feb 7 2009, 01:04 PM) *
THX alot Pedja
you are totally right with all comments and i am very pleased with the final result tongue.gif
i thought the critics will be much harder *hehehe*
in fact that you left some hair on my head i would like to thank you for that collab
very nice peace of music
i will take all of your advices and work on them, hope Andru can help me out with that problems and maybe you too ???

THX and cheers
Harry

You welcome Harry ! I am glad you took all the advices right way. I know you are very hard working and determined, so is Andru ! On top of that Andru is great guy and you can surely benefit a lot from his mentoring.
I will be here to help you with whatever you need, shoot me PM or post somewhere in forum.

Thanks Harry !

New collaboration will be up by tomorrow latest - I am having some trouble with my Nuendo right now... sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2017 - 03:52 PM