Help me relax!, ..and another thing!
Steelkonsum
Jan 11 2007, 03:54 PM
Hi,

I'm, as mentioned in my introduction post, self-taught. This means I probably have a crapload of unwanted and extremly bad habbits. One of these involve me being very tense when I play.

I notice that if I just stop while Im playing I can sometimes feel how I'm..how to put it, not strained or cramped - it doesn't hurt or anything but I am just simply tense and it gets quite uncomfortable sometimes while atempting longer stuff. So I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on how to better relax your arms and shoulders while playing?

And another thing, I seem to get very tired as Im playing very quickly and I suspect its connected to the whole being tense thingie. Or perhaps I just need to work up some guitar-muscles or whatever. So besides the tense thing, anything youc an think of to help me play longer?

Cheers!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 11 2007, 04:09 PM
Instructor
The thing is actually very simple: people often think that they can play faster than they actually can and then try to do it by force. The first thing to do is to do a warmup - that means play some basic excercises for like half an hour at VERY LOW speeds. Let's say for example: take one of your favorite excercises and play it with Tempo of 100, after 5 minutes playing like that set tempo to 120, again play the lick for 5 minutes... go to another lick and get back to tempo of 100.

When you are playing you must be extremely relaxed - good technique has nothing to do with muscles. You must be relaxed and have good control of your hand (left and right). The feeling while playing must be like you are watching TV - you are just relaxed and do nothing, right?? Apply the same thing to guitar. Take a chair, sit down with your guitar, don't forget about breathing while playing (i met a lot of people who don't even breath while trying to play some crazy licks). Speed will come with time if practiced correctly. If you feel you are tensed - stop playing, take about 5 minutes rest and than again get your guitar.

You get tired very quick because you are tensed while playing. There is only one solution for all your problems - relax and breath (just like watching TV).

Feel free to ask more things - will be glad to help!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pavel: Jan 11 2007, 04:10 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 11 2007, 04:24 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 11 2007, 04:09 PM) *
The thing is actually very simple: people often think that they can play faster than they actually can and then try to do it by force. The first thing to do is to do a warmup - that means play some basic excercises for like half an hour at VERY LOW speeds. Let's say for example: take one of your favorite excercises and play it with Tempo of 100, after 5 minutes playing like that set tempo to 120, again play the lick for 5 minutes... go to another lick and get back to tempo of 100.

When you are playing you must be extremely relaxed - good technique has nothing to do with muscles. You must be relaxed and have good control of your hand (left and right). The feeling while playing must be like you are watching TV - you are just relaxed and do nothing, right?? Apply the same thing to guitar. Take a chair, sit down with your guitar, don't forget about breathing while playing (i met a lot of people who don't even breath while trying to play some crazy licks). Speed will come with time if practiced correctly. If you feel you are tensed - stop playing, take about 5 minutes rest and than again get your guitar.

You get tired very quick because you are tensed while playing. There is only one solution for all your problems - relax and breath (just like watching TV).

Feel free to ask more things - will be glad to help!

Awesome answer mate. Will keep that in mind.

Off to watch tv.. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 11 2007, 04:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Stålkonsum @ Jan 11 2007, 04:24 PM) *
Awesome answer mate. Will keep that in mind.

Off to watch tv.. wink.gif

Keep us informed of a progress. I would like to know if it actually helped you!
Rock on!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 16 2007, 01:18 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 11 2007, 04:55 PM) *
Keep us informed of a progress. I would like to know if it actually helped you!
Rock on!

Ok so Ive been tryin to play and relax and it helps to some degree but not fully. I still get tired way too fast for it to be normal. I guess I just have to be playin more and build up my guitar muscles or something even though Im not particular weak or anything unsure.gif . I think I still have problems relaxing my shoulders and quite simply imagining watchin tv doesnt do the trick enough for my shoulders too be 100% comfortable.

Guess this is just one of the many things I have picked up by not attending a teacher dry.gif

+Quote Post
Molgan
Jan 16 2007, 02:38 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Stålkonsum @ Jan 11 2007, 06:54 PM) *
Hi,

I'm, as mentioned in my introduction post, self-taught. This means I probably have a crapload of unwanted and extremly bad habbits. One of these involve me being very tense when I play.

I notice that if I just stop while Im playing I can sometimes feel how I'm..how to put it, not strained or cramped - it doesn't hurt or anything but I am just simply tense and it gets quite uncomfortable sometimes while atempting longer stuff. So I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on how to better relax your arms and shoulders while playing?

And another thing, I seem to get very tired as Im playing very quickly and I suspect its connected to the whole being tense thingie. Or perhaps I just need to work up some guitar-muscles or whatever. So besides the tense thing, anything youc an think of to help me play longer?

Cheers!

hi, i have the exactly same problem. I play i lot of blues (don`t know if you do?) and when im switching from bending and some faster runs my hands get all as you say "tense", and as you say aswell ther is no pain involved. My guitar teacher noticed that and he told me the best way for him to solve the problem ( he had have the same problem when he were younger) was to learn to play funk rythm, where you have to relax your hands to get a smooth sound. And it has been working for me too, now i dont have as much problems with it as before, but its still there. I guess its just to relax your hands when playing "not as easy as it sounds". I don`t know for how long you have been playing but im a bit of a beginner, maybe this is something that will fade of with time?

hope it was to some help!

This post has been edited by Molgan: Jan 16 2007, 02:39 AM

+Quote Post
Rob_g
Jan 16 2007, 05:17 PM
from stayin tense I would just try having fun with it try to immitate evh or angus young and try makin up some of your own moves. that can be fun at times, plus people get a good kick out of it when u do that.

And for the tired thing get more sleep or drink some redbulls befor you play, or some spagetthi (somthin that gives you energy)

sorry if this has been posted because i didn't read the posts

+Quote Post
This Dougs For U
Jan 16 2007, 06:50 PM
What gauge strings are you using ? For lead playing I use .009s on all my guitars and it makes it pretty effortless. I also use a ton of bends in my playing and it helps for that too. Are your strings in good condition (i.e. clean and smooth)? I've played some guitars before where it was a chore to play them, because of nasty strings.

Before a lengthy practice session (beit by myself or with the band) I'll wipe down my guitar, both the strings and back of the neck. I'll then use some Fast Fret to get the strings nice n' slick. The back of the neck is important to me, because I HATE playing a guitar with gunked up neck. Many guitars with a thick laquer have this problem after a little palm sweat.

I know this sounds simple, but many people just don't know that this simple maintence improves your ease of play, and sound so much. The other guitarist in my band NEVER does this. His guitar plays like crap, and his strings go bad quickly. A couple guitar players I know NEVER take care of their strings, and I hate playing their guitars.

--------------------
www.myspace.com/autumnriseband

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 16 2007, 06:57 PM
QUOTE (This Dougs For U @ Jan 16 2007, 06:50 PM) *
What gauge strings are you using ? For lead playing I use .009s on all my guitars and it makes it pretty effortless. I also use a ton of bends in my playing and it helps for that too. Are your strings in good condition (i.e. clean and smooth)? I've played some guitars before where it was a chore to play them, because of nasty strings.

Before a lengthy practice session (beit by myself or with the band) I'll wipe down my guitar, both the strings and back of the neck. I'll then use some Fast Fret to get the strings nice n' slick. The back of the neck is important to me, because I HATE playing a guitar with gunked up neck. Many guitars with a thick laquer have this problem after a little palm sweat.
I know this sounds simple, but many people just don't know that this simple maintence improves your ease of play, and sound so much. The other guitarist in my band NEVER does this. His guitar plays like crap, and his strings go bad quickly. A couple guitar players I know NEVER take care of their strings, and I hate playing their guitars.

That is an idea. I never do take care of my guitar..mostly 'cause the stuff I'd have to buy for it would cost just as much as the actual guitar but I am planning on buying a new one and will take better care of it for sure. I do however doubt this to be the main reason seeing how it's my right shoulder (strumming shoulder) that usually gets tense.

Good tips though.

+Quote Post
This Dougs For U
Jan 16 2007, 09:30 PM
QUOTE (Stålkonsum @ Jan 16 2007, 01:57 PM) *
That is an idea. I never do take care of my guitar..mostly 'cause the stuff I'd have to buy for it would cost just as much as the actual guitar but I am planning on buying a new one and will take better care of it for sure. I do however doubt this to be the main reason seeing how it's my right shoulder (strumming shoulder) that usually gets tense.

Good tips though.

yeah if its your shoulder than that probably won't help you. Sorry i got on a rant there, hehe.

You say your shoulder hurts ? Are you getting alot of arm movements outside of your wrist ?

--------------------
www.myspace.com/autumnriseband

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 16 2007, 09:33 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 11 2007, 06:09 PM) *
The thing is actually very simple: people often think that they can play faster than they actually can and then try to do it by force.

Yes this is most certainly true!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:39 PM