2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Holding A Guitar Pick., is there a wrong way?
Becks
Feb 16 2009, 06:26 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 16 2009, 05:30 AM) *
Pictures with different angles like Muris showed in that topic would be great mate.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 16 2009, 06:36 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'd curl my index up, but that's me.

Here's an oldie on the subject.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0&start=0

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Feb 16 2009, 06:36 PM

+Quote Post
berko
Feb 16 2009, 06:36 PM
Hmm Becks, you're getting there. That's a basic, simple and effective way to hold the pick. Maybe your thumb could be a bit closer to the strings and the tip of your index (below the pick) a bit more away from the strings (so that it doesn't touch the strings).

Other than that, I think your pick is way too blunt! The edge is too much rounded and that won't make the notes articulated. I think you should also try different types of picks and test their feel smile.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Becks
Feb 16 2009, 06:37 PM
[attachment=13615:Photo_58.jpg]
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 15 2009, 04:59 PM) *
Like everybody said there is no right or wrong. Possibly you are putting too much strain on your picking hand in general. Can you record your picking hand with a webcam and post here? That would help us greatly in seeing where the problem is. There is no need for good audio, just picture.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 16 2009, 09:40 PM
Instructor
Yeah, maybe curled index is what you should try as well,
rest of it looks pretty normal and fine to say the least. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Feb 16 2009, 11:50 PM
Jazz Instructor
There is a guitar player who hold pick in the very very wrong way, yet he is THE number one jazz player in the world. He's name is Pat Metheny. There is no perfect way of holding the pick, just hold it firmly. Your hand will try to adjust it as you play!

+Quote Post
Becks
Feb 17 2009, 04:15 AM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Feb 16 2009, 12:40 PM) *
Yeah, maybe curled index is what you should try as well,
rest of it looks pretty normal and fine to say the least. smile.gif

Yeah i have tried that the past few days. But my finger always straitens out...its so annoying. Maybe i just need to force it there for a while till i get used to it.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Feb 17 2009, 10:14 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
The only "wrong" way of holding a pick would be a way that feels uncomfortable for you. Aside from this, there is no wrong or right way of holding a pick, as I said before already, just pay attention to how all of the instructors here are holding their picks, you will see that we are not holding them in the same way.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 17 2009, 11:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Becks @ Feb 17 2009, 04:15 AM) *
Yeah i have tried that the past few days. But my finger always straitens out...its so annoying. Maybe i just need to force it there for a while till i get used to it.

The best way to transfer to a different picking technique is through practice. Just focus on keeping the index curled a bit when practicing, and it will eventually start to curl while you play as well. BTW I can't really say for sure that the index finger is your problem. It could be that you are simply keeping your muscles tight while picking, which can lead to a fast tiredness of the hand. Remember to always keep the picking hand relaxed and flowing.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 17 2009, 01:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Becks @ Feb 17 2009, 04:15 AM) *

Since picking is mostly done by wrist I presume that you'll find
the way that fits you the best very soon.
Try playing rhythm and solo stuff and look for option that works for both. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Feb 17 2009, 01:32 PM
Try some different picks also... I like DAVA master control picks

they have your thumb fit in a groove in the pick, very comfortable

http://www.davapick.com/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Feb 17 2009, 01:55 PM
Instructor
I also support that there is no wrong way of holding a pick, just wrong playing smile.gif

For example, Eddie Van Halen holds his pick between thumb and middle finger, and plays perfectly, while his index finger is free to jump in for some tapping smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 17 2009, 08:06 PM
Instructor
There is no wrong way but if you're sored is because you're putting too much strenght and that's bad because you have to play the more relaxed you can.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 17 2009, 11:35 PM
Instructor
There is no right or wrong way!
I used to think that holding pick certain way might restrain you from playing fast, was I wrong. I saw some guy who broke world record in fastest guitar picking on youtube for last year. The way he holds pick is something that I would never do for example...
So it all comes down to individual preference , effort and time you put into it and most important sound that you get using certain picking angle wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:31 AM