Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Your Expert Experienced Opinion
vampire18
post Feb 25 2009, 09:58 PM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.741

I've been practicing for a guitar competition in my school for quite some time now. i chose "turkish march" by emir.
the song is beautiful and just at the top of my skill lvl(maybe a bit beyond but i still have a whole month) anyways today i was at a concert in the same music school and i admit it made me feel both good because people were not that great at all but it got me thinking. i saw a lot of people there onstage playing their solos like crap and missing all the middle notes of the triplets and very inaccurate bends.
now im guessing it was because of stage fright. and im sure i will have a lot of it. so what do i do? come with my A game with the possibility of sucking pretty bad. or moving to a slower more ballad type solo and hope ill do it perfectly? what do you think from your experience?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Feb 25 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #2

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.410

Depends how well you can play turkish march...If you can play it without mistakes at home confidently I would advise going with that song...Its impressive and if you miss a not or two I guess no one will think less of the performance..Thing is to be ready to play it at home well, if you see that you can't go with the easier song..Onstage you may get nervous/frighten but that should just enhance your concentration and shouldn't diminish your performance..Only cure I can suggest is practicing song "like crazy" until you are confident and then relaxing before the show and giving your best shot...Everything should go well..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Oxac
post Feb 25 2009, 10:53 PM
Post #3

GMC:er

Member No.: 2.086

Hey dude, I think I have the knowledge you need. It has actually nothing to do with guitar.

I don't know what to call this, but it works!

First, define your goal. "I want to win this competition" - great!

Where am I? "I have 1 month left to practise and prepare for this competition".

What do I need to do to win the competition? "Play better than the rest".

How do I play better than the rest?

1) Play a harder song.
2) Play more accurate
3) Have better stage moves
4) Feeling confident on stage

Turkish march is a pretty hard song, so my guess is that you're completing the first thing there.

Play more accurate. When you can play it, 10 times in a row, at full speed, without making a single mistake, then you know that you're never really going to mess up with that song. You'll be able to play it in your sleep, with your guitar upside down and one hand cut off. So make sure that you can play it like 10 times in a row perfectly.

Having better stage moves. This is something you need to nail as well. Look at some kind of turkish march dance and copy the best moves. Combine it with some kind of 70-80s metal moves and you'll be "home".

About feeling confident.

What feeling do you think you'll get when you know that you can play the piece flawlessly 10 times in a row? When you know that your stagemoves are cool? That's right, confidence. Most often nervousity (the exaggurated kind that makes you FAIL) is there because of lack of preparation and because you're unsure if you're gonna nail your piece or your speech.

Are you going to have a backing? If so, make sure that you bring an extra copy of it, make sure that you've tested the PA system twice before entering the stage. Make sure that you've told the guy that puts the CD in the CD player EXACTLY when he's going to put it in and that you know how to do it, in case he messes up. Then you can do it yourself. Talk to the one that will introduce you, make sure that he says something that will make you feel even more confident.

Now, nothing can go wrong. Even if a girl that's really into you takes off her brah, throw it at you, the button hits you in your eye and you lose your eysight. EVEN THEN you'll be able to win because:

a) You're gonna score a chick later.
cool.gif You can play this piece 10 times in a row flawlessly, you don't need to see your fingers to nail it.

smile.gif

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
post Feb 25 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #4

Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)

Member No.: 3.642

If you play Turkish marsh, you have to play it accurate, audiance doesn't care wether it's difficult, or didn't have enough time to practice... if you're playing is nasty they won't like it :s
I can't give you good advices because I haven't seen you play, but if you think you're ready to play it than do it, if you're not sure about yourself ... think twice before going on stage.

Anyway good luck for your competition,

Cheers,

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
JVM
post Feb 25 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #5

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.984

It might sound obvious, but make sure you are used to playing it standing up as well as sitting down.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
vampire18
post Feb 25 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #6

Learning Rock Star

great replies everyone you have very good tips.
i have one month to nail it down so i have to give my self a 2 week period in which i have to at least once play it start to finish without a hitch. if i cant do it ill change to something easier.
standing up is important i almost forgot about it thx. worst case scenario ill do it sitting down but only worst case.
the audience is actually professionals and guitar players for the most part so they do score you by difficulty,

oxac your reply was very funny helpful and motivating at once. thx.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Feb 25 2009, 11:48 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

I advice you to stay confident and motivated, and try to push the boundaries with the Turkish March. It's a very cool composition, and just practice it every day until you get it just right. We all have or had at some point stage fright before, but it's the ones that break boundaries come out rewarded. Be confident in your abilities - you can do it!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Feb 26 2009, 12:27 AM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.892

All very good advices here, I like Oxac's advice the most as it is something I would advise as well smile.gif

One extra thing that will definitely help you before performing !

Invite your friends and family , even ONE PERSON to listen to you play at your own place - living room, your room - and create that performance like ambient. That will definitely help you get over stage freight as it will feel more natural. When I play I always think in my mind like I am playing for people I care the most and that are moved by my music expression. That way I am very emotional when I play hence the end result has to be strong!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
post Feb 27 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #9

Jazz Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 6.012

You have two options:
1. To choose easier stuff, so you can play it perfectly

or

2. Two practice really heavy, in order to play Turkish march perfectly!:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
post Feb 27 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #10

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.625

I agree with Pedja, that is my advice.
The stage fright only goes out when you've performed in front of public lots of times.

I remember the first time I had a concert my knees where shaking. That kind of sensation only goes away if you've played in front a lot of people many times. So invite (in this month that you have) 2 or 3 times a week some friends or family to listen to you and that will give you a little more confidence.
On the other hand you should practice like hell to raise your self-steem too.

I hope this works

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
leedbreak
post Feb 27 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1.215

I learned that lesson too. Remember it sounds very cool played slower. maybe play it a tad slower than you are used to so it will be easier. If you hit the notes even slower you will impress them who need it. I find I am getting to where I feed off people watching and can play better that way.

You have got to record yourself on stage and post it here.

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
post Feb 27 2009, 09:58 PM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.593

Stage fright is bad, I suffered severely from this, even before I started playing live. When as a kid in school the teacher would ask me something in front of the class or asked me to solve problem in the board, even though I knew the answer, I couldn't function when I was aware of other people watching. I don't think I have met a person with a stage fright as the one I had.

My first time on stage I was 15, my knees were shaking, so were my hands, I could barely play, even tho it was a nice day, I felt cold, it was horrible. To make things worse the crowd wasn't the best, the booed us off the stage, Imagine that as your first experience?

Only way to overcome this, is to play in front of people as often as you can, it is another deal, you will feel more comfortable with time, so you have a month, where you live is there places where they have open jams, and things of that sort??, if you do have something like that, go for it, jam with others, play in front of people, it will make a difference the day of the competition.

And of course practice the turkish march as much as you can by yourself.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
vampire18
post Feb 28 2009, 02:04 PM
Post #13

Learning Rock Star

thx a lot.
i have in my school some jam sessions so maybe i will check one out. whats the worst that could happen. if you say it can help than its worth it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
post Feb 28 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #14

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.625

Sure, I think what you need is to learn that everybody makes mistakes on stage.
I've seen Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci and many others be mistaken in their playing in a live concert.
Even the greatest musicians like Evgeny Kissin sometimes have little flaws, so why don't we?
Once you've passed the stage that you care too much for the mistakes I think that you'll come up to a scenario much more confident because you know that you can overcome the mistake and keep on rockin'

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
post Mar 1 2009, 12:03 AM
Post #15

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.558

Mmmm stage fright will never go totally away, the best thing you can do is practice at home as you were playing live....with the strap with high gain amp, don´t stopping whenever you make a little mistake.
Expect to be pretty the same of the result you are getting at home, if at home the song doesn´t play perfectly with more than 90% of acuracy choose another song then, regretably there is magic in the music, but no magic or miracle in the mechanics of the instruments, on the other hand people just wont let us play easy crappish music, so oftenly we have to get out with some music regardless of the state of mastering or understanding we have (no question why I've never had won a guitar competition). Remember when you are playing live you play faster then you think you are playing, don´fpcus on mistakes, but correct them as soon you get out of stage cause we are so aware on that moment, if posible check the place where you will be playing in the contest, good luck.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Oxac
post Mar 1 2009, 12:43 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 2.086

The thing is, I didn't want to put any focus on stage fright.

Why? Because we tend to create for ourselves, what we focus on. If I focus on learning how to play maj7 chords all over the neck, I will learn to do so. If I focus on how to get an A+ in math, I will learn how to get an A+. If I focus on why I didn't get an A+ I will learn why I didn't get one. If I focus on that I might get stage fright and lose control.... That will happen.

So you mustn't put focus on the stage fright directly, it's a bad thing to do. It's better to first put focus on: How can I avoid stagefright? Then start doing those things.

Don't focus on, even the best players can mess up on stage... Don't focus on, everyone's human and can make mistakes.

Because... then there's no counterargument to why you shouldn't mess up and be fine with it.

You're there to rock the audiences world, and to do that you must dress nicely, play accurately and have great stage moves. You don't have to be nervous to rock... You just have to enjoy it yourself. So focus on the audience. They may be quiet and sit down but half of them are dreaming about being in your position and the other half is admiring your courage, even before you've started playing. So just go up look the audience in the eyes and think, I'M WHAT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!! It's called attitude smile.gif

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 01:05 PM