Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elixr Strings?
post Mar 4 2009, 08:38 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.174

QUOTE (29a @ Mar 1 2009, 09:15 AM) *
I love them, and also wrote a review about them:

I've also ordered some coated ernie balls so maybe I can make a comparison at some point.

I was just about to write an entry about the Ernie Ball coated strings. I finally got some and I love them. I have not tried the Elixir, but from reading the comments, should sound similar... bright, very articulate. I find them to give harmonics very strong, almost as loud as a fretted note (I don't play real hard). Some of you better players can better judge their lasting power, etc.

The coating is "silky" and it feels great to me. Also, I noticed an immediate improvement in my accuracy due to the fact my fingers stay where they land, but it's still smooth to slide on them. Since I am still a very basic player, this helps me.

One possible drawback.. the wound strings are rather "zippy" when you slide. That might not sound good with high gain, but again it's personal.

The price is double what regular strings cost. These comments apply to the EB Coated Regular Slinky 10-46.

Edit: After playing on them some more, I LOVE these strings. I have no other explanation for how I improved my playing seemingly overnight.

This post has been edited by jdriver: Mar 4 2009, 08:48 AM

"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Mar 4 2009, 09:09 AM
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 4.557

I don't like them on electrics, can't saywhat it is, but it's something about the feel and tone that isn't quite my thing, instead I'm a ErnieBall Hybrid Slinky fan.
I use elixirs on my acoustic though, 12-53, they sound great there, really sparkly...

* Vigier Shawn Lane Master , Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* ESP Eclipse CTM1 , Bridge EMG 81, Neck EMG 60
* Peavey Vandenberg 2nd Edition , Bridge Tom Anderson HN3, Neck DiMarzio Chopper
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars , Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

+Quote Post
post Mar 4 2009, 09:22 AM
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.044

I personally love elixir strings, not coz of the sound, coz i really cant make out any diff between strings.
The main reason is that they last very long. When i got serious about practice, i noticed that the fretboard could get really dirty if you aren't particular about it. And most of strings would wear out within 3 weeks.
And man do i hate changing strings, at first it was cool, but novelty really wore off. Elixir if maintained well, you can stretch for about 2 months, depending on play. And if you play just an hour a day i reckon they will last way longer.

Anyway, one thing to keep in mind is that all these strings sound their best the first 2-3 days no matter what company u use (im not talking about really crap brands here).

Hope it helps!

Keep rocking smile.gif

They also feel amazing, i once had very bad experience with ghs boomers (the strings felt used and worn out very very rough and felt ugly), never tried it since. I might try it again, should try not to base my judgment on one pack you know tongue.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2016 - 10:36 AM