Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pickup Covers?, do they effect the tone?
sigma7
post Feb 28 2009, 10:48 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.917

Hey GMC! I was sitting with my guitar trying to find a good bass metal tone but I dont think my guitar is capable of such a thing. It is an ibanez sa by the way. Anyway, I noticed from all the demos that everyone else plays their ibanex without the pickup covers on them. Do you think pickup covers effect the tone?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
post Mar 1 2009, 12:38 AM
Post #2

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 2.164

Pickup covers effect the tone very little (not so much that it would make the diffrence for a metal tone) and almost everytime, covered pickups are wind a bit hotter to turn the cover effect to zero - So the covers aren't the problem!!!

If you can't get a metal tone with your standard Ibanez SA pickups then it's because:

- your amp prolly has not metal tone or you don't know ho to get that tone out of it...amp is about 80% of the tone
- The standard Ibanez pickups aren't the best, try some metal pickups in it like EMGs...pickup makes 10% of the tone
- Guitar wood, the SA basswood has not very much low end to it, that's why you can't get that chunky metal tone perfectly, wood makes 10% of the tone aswell

I think the problem is your amp/amp setting rather than your guitar or pickup covers - I've seen people play Thrash metal with Fender Strats!!! They played through a real metal amp and that's were most of the tone comes from!!!

A new set of pickups will get you a better metal tone, but don't expect a HUGE diffrence from before

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2017 - 02:00 PM