> Chrnoam - Mtp
ChrnoAM
post Mar 14 2009, 03:16 AM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.823

QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 13 2009, 10:14 PM) *
Sounds like a great question. Could you give me the video number in the lesson? That would make it easier to narrow you question down and give you better advise. smile.gif

It's Video 4 at about 11 sec in
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Mar 14 2009, 03:41 AM
Post #22

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 3.915

Thanks man.

Looking at it now

ohmy.gif I see what your asking now.

Try this. It looks like when he does the bend on the "B" string the "G" string bends up with it right, but you don't really hear the note on the "G" string yet. So roll your 3rd finger (ring finger) tip toward you to press the note on the "G" string. As you pick that note (which is already bent to the pitch you need) use you middle finger (or index finger) to mute the "B" string as you release the bend from the "G" string that you picked. This is what I would call a Ghost bend.

Make sense? Hope that helps. smile.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
post Mar 14 2009, 03:52 AM
Post #23

QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 13 2009, 10:41 PM) *
Thanks man.

Looking at it now

ohmy.gif I see what your asking now.

Try this. It looks like when he does the bend on the "B" string the "G" string bends up with it right, but you don't really hear the note on the "G" string yet. So roll your 3rd finger (ring finger) tip toward you to press the note on the "G" string. As you pick that note (which is already bent to the pitch you need) use you middle finger (or index finger) to mute the "B" string as you release the bend from the "G" string that you picked. This is what I would call a Ghost bend.

Make sense? Hope that helps. smile.gif

Okay, that's what I was trying to do, but I keep getting a chord instead of single notes lol, it'll take some time to clean up... gahh! lol

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Mar 14 2009, 04:04 AM
Post #24

Learning Tone Seeker

Cool.

Your learning something new so this is good. Take your time and play it slow and you'll get it smile.gif

If you need a video response just let me know.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
post Mar 14 2009, 04:08 AM
Post #25

QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 13 2009, 11:04 PM) *
Cool.

Your learning something new so this is good. Take your time and play it slow and you'll get it smile.gif

If you need a video response just let me know.

lol yeah!! Blues is definitely not my strong point rolleyes.gif This lesson is really fun though!! I actually listened to some more of Stevie's songs because of it lol! If you have time and could show a close up of how to do the bend it might help, the only way I can get it clean is to cheat and use my ring finger for the B, and then swap out on the G with my middle finger hehehe!

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Mar 14 2009, 04:44 AM
Post #26

Learning Tone Seeker

Well ok. I will try and work on that tomorrow. smile.gif

I still have my lessons to work on so could you post a video of you playing the Mixolydian Intermidate with out your face in my MTP thread for me biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Just kinding of course. I will work on getting you an upload after some sleep smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Mar 14 2009, 05:10 AM
Post #27

Learning Tone Seeker

QUOTE (ChrnoAM @ Mar 13 2009, 11:08 PM) *
lol yeah!! Blues is definitely not my strong point rolleyes.gif This lesson is really fun though!! I actually listened to some more of Stevie's songs because of it lol! If you have time and could show a close up of how to do the bend it might help, the only way I can get it clean is to cheat and use my ring finger for the B, and then swap out on the G with my middle finger hehehe!

If this is the way you can play it and do it clean then play it like that.

Upload a take and if I see some bad habits going on I will let you know smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
post Mar 15 2009, 04:35 AM
Post #28

QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 14 2009, 12:10 AM) *
If this is the way you can play it and do it clean then play it like that.

Upload a take and if I see some bad habits going on I will let you know smile.gif

Ha! Okay! Here it is... sorry for butchering the blues Jeff!!! It was mad fun though!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  ChrnoAM___SRV_Style.mpg ( 11.71MB ) Number of downloads: 100

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Mar 17 2009, 12:28 AM
Post #29

Learning Tone Seeker

Sorry for the late response. My son is playing baseball this year. We have had a few warm days and he wants to practice all the time. Plus I had to find time to work on my lesson for Muris.

You didn't butcher your take man, it was ok, I think you can do better though wink.gif You almost got the lick in video 4 that we chatted about. Looked like you rolled your finger over and got the note on the 'G' string but didn't really release the bend back down to give it that cool sound. You have good sense of rhythm for this style and I like the way you tap the beat with your leg. Very good!

Lets try to clean it up a little bit. Take your time and back your guitar volume down about half way to get ride of some of the distortion. This will fit the style nicer and be easier to here any mistakes.

How is writing your own solo coming along?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
post Mar 17 2009, 03:47 AM
Post #30

QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 16 2009, 07:28 PM) *
Sorry for the late response. My son is playing baseball this year. We have had a few warm days and he wants to practice all the time. Plus I had to find time to work on my lesson for Muris.

You didn't butcher your take man, it was ok, I think you can do better though wink.gif You almost got the lick in video 4 that we chatted about. Looked like you rolled your finger over and got the note on the 'G' string but didn't really release the bend back down to give it that cool sound. You have good sense of rhythm for this style and I like the way you tap the beat with your leg. Very good!

Lets try to clean it up a little bit. Take your time and back your guitar volume down about half way to get ride of some of the distortion. This will fit the style nicer and be easier to here any mistakes.

How is writing your own solo coming along?

Hey Jeff, here's another take of the SRV lesson, I changed the distortion up to a more blues rather than the metal sound, and rolled down on the volume knob on the guitar itself, makes those licks a lot harder, because of the lack of sustain gah! tongue.gif As far as the solo, I have some ideas... but I won't be able to do much as much as I've wanted to do because I have another exam coming up Monday and I need to study hard soon. I've also been learning some John Mayer songs on the side, I'm breaking outta my metal box lately lol
Attached File(s)
Attached File  ChrnoAM___SRV_Style_Take2.mpg ( 11.62MB ) Number of downloads: 81

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Mar 17 2009, 03:46 PM
Post #31

Learning Tone Seeker

No worries Amol, study hard for your test. I hope you do well.
I will listen to your take when I get home from work tonight.
Exploring other music styles can only help and I'm glad your doing this. You don't want to be stuck in a box.
Work on your solo when you have time or need a break from your studying.

Check back later for comments on your upload.

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Mar 19 2009, 02:21 AM
Post #32

Learning Tone Seeker

Hi Amol, hope everything is good. Was there someone in the bed trying to sleep in the background of your video? I saw the big lump and started lmao! biggrin.gif

Well the take wasn't bad so that's the good news right? I thought you would take a little more time working on the things I suggested before uploading but you seem to be the kind of guy that wants to get things done.

Backing the distortion down (etc) helped but I still think it was a little over the top. I could hear the licks and stuff better but I couldn't really tell an improvement over your first upload when it comes to the blues feel (bends/vibrato). This is the heart and soul of the blues. It isn't really about how many notes you can play as much as it is how you play them. Some things where still pitchy and I have a few exercises that will help with this and a few other things when you finish writing your own solo and upload it.

One other thing is when you record you need to be careful of Clipping. Download your own recording from your post. When you play it back listen for the little POP's (clicks). The guitar recording level is too high (hot). You don't want the level to go really above -6db. Doing this will make your uploads sound much better and be more pleasing to others who wants to listen.

I hope you don't take my comments the wrong way because my intent is to help and point out small things about your playing that maybe you haven't really thought about. Sometimes these things are very difficult to notice when you start listen to your own playing at first.

Hope you kick butt on your exam and I can't wait for your next upload Amol

Cheers bro! smile.gif

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Mar 19 2009, 02:25 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
post Mar 19 2009, 03:26 AM
Post #33

QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 18 2009, 09:21 PM) *
Hi Amol, hope everything is good. Was there someone in the bed trying to sleep in the background of your video? I saw the big lump and started lmao! biggrin.gif

Well the take wasn't bad so that's the good news right? I thought you would take a little more time working on the things I suggested before uploading but you seem to be the kind of guy that wants to get things done.

Backing the distortion down (etc) helped but I still think it was a little over the top. I could hear the licks and stuff better but I couldn't really tell an improvement over your first upload when it comes to the blues feel (bends/vibrato). This is the heart and soul of the blues. It isn't really about how many notes you can play as much as it is how you play them. Some things where still pitchy and I have a few exercises that will help with this and a few other things when you finish writing your own solo and upload it.

One other thing is when you record you need to be careful of Clipping. Download your own recording from your post. When you play it back listen for the little POP's (clicks). The guitar recording level is too high (hot). You don't want the level to go really above -6db. Doing this will make your uploads sound much better and be more pleasing to others who wants to listen.

I hope you don't take my comments the wrong way because my intent is to help and point out small things about your playing that maybe you haven't really thought about. Sometimes these things are very difficult to notice when you start listen to your own playing at first.

Hope you kick butt on your exam and I can't wait for your next upload Amol

Cheers bro! smile.gif

Hey Jeff thanks for the reply! You're right that blues lesson still needs a lot of work, I'll put more time into it. As for the tone it was still harsh and I felt that too, but I've always had trouble dialing in a bluesy tone. Not only that when I turn the input level down, the guitar's sustain seems to die, which makes it really tough to hold notes out. I'd be much obliged if you could give me some tips on how to dial in an awesome blues tone, while keeping the sustain up! biggrin.gif

As for the clipping, that's something I've been struggling with for awhile, it's actually not from the guitar tone itself, but actually my sound card (Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum EX) which apparently was not made to handle recording level processing and it pops and clicks when I use GuitarRIG by itself, but when I start the recording software along with GuitarRIG, it gets bad!!! As you heard, lol. I'm thinking about either upgrading GuitarRIG, downgrading to XP to see if it is just a software issue, or if all else fails I was thinking of buying a dedicated sound interface to input my guitar with.

I'll try and work on the solo in my free time sporadically this week and get something uploaded asap! Thanks for sticking with me! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
post Mar 30 2009, 03:47 AM
Post #34

Hey Jeff!

Sorry for taking so long to post, I had the exam and then went off to a convention in Arkansas and just got back home yesterday, here's the improvisation on the backing track from the second blues lesson! I just dropped all the distortion on my guitar all together, easier that way hahah, rather than trying to dial in that crunch. As for the crackles and pops, I think that until I get another audio interface that's just the way it'll record dry.gif bah! Anyway, hope you enjoy and post back soon! Oh, also I tried to upload to youtube, but the audio and video get out of sync so if you know how I can fix that, I need to get that outta the way because i only have 50 or so MB left before I have to start deleting old videos!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Blues_Improvisation.mpg ( 23.01MB ) Number of downloads: 85

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Apr 3 2009, 01:43 AM
Post #35

Learning Tone Seeker

Hi Amol

Like I said in my PM to you sorry for the delay but it has been a crazy week.
Your take was pretty solid for the most part. The chromatic melody line in the beginning was really nice! Second verse was good as well. Once again you need to watch the bends and vibrato because this style is all about that.

I could hear where you wanted to go with this solo but I don’t think things came off to good in a few parts especially toward the end. This seemed more like an improv than composing something. Am I right? You also seemed like you were locked into a few box patterns.

Over all this was a really good take! Well done!

I would like to see you become more active with all the great collaborations that go on every month here. This will help you get to know other members and also get personnel comments from and instructor which will really help develop your sytle of playing. It’s a new month so what I would like you to do is find one that you would like to try and we can work on this together. We can exchange our thought on theory, melody, phrasing and technique. I want to also give you a few other things to work on which includes an AP exercise. I’m not trying to overload you nor do I expect everything in one week.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...bending-lesson/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/

Your really doing a great job Amol! Keep it up smile.gif

We will fix the youtube and recording thing no worries. It's the weekend so I will have more time.

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Apr 3 2009, 04:56 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Apr 16 2009, 03:20 AM
Post #36

Learning Tone Seeker

Hi Amol,

Hope you enjoyed your spring break and had a good Easter. How is everything going?

Is there anything that I can do for you? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
post Apr 16 2009, 03:46 AM
Post #37

Hey Jeff!

Break was great, didn't do any work ahahha! It felt nice to just relax at home. I got a lot of playing time in too, sorry I haven't posted anything I only took my laptop home and the webcam and all is with my PC. I've made progress on both lessons, I should be able to post something soon, but like i said I don't have much space left via attachments, and the youtube thing is out of sync. I might just have to post there even with the syncing issues =/

How've you been? I was thinking we should try out using gchat, i'm not sure if you use that but if the webcam feature worked we could interact live, even jam!! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by ChrnoAM: Apr 16 2009, 03:49 AM

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Apr 16 2009, 04:16 AM
Post #38

Learning Tone Seeker

Glad to hear things are going well and you feel like your progressing.

No worries we are doing fine and have time on our side so when you have time to upload takes that's cool. I hope you like the other lessons. Have you thought about joining any of the collabs this month? Maybe Pedja's or jump in with me on Emir's (Satriani) and we can work together.

You might want to post a topic in the forum or even ask Skennington about your issue with Youtube. Sorry I can't be of much help with that but Skennington helped me with my first uploads there and everything seems to be working for me. Just tell him I sent you bro! biggrin.gif

I haven't tried gchat but we can give it a go some time for sure. Probably on the weekend though. Have you ever used Skype? I think it's the same thing but I'm not sure.

We can try a jam and see how it works. If nothing else we can have a nice chat and some fun! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
post Apr 19 2009, 03:08 AM
Post #39

Hey Jeff! Here's a take of the Blues Bending Lesson, I'm having trouble keeping it in time when I am playing by myself, but anyway take a look, hope you enjoy it =P laugh.gif I think this is the last video I'll be able to upload on the forum, we'll have to figure out that youtube sync issue then blink.gif
Attached File(s)
Attached File  ChrnoAM___Blues_Bending.mpg ( 9.1MB ) Number of downloads: 76

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
post Apr 19 2009, 05:51 AM
Post #40

I got the youtube issue figured out, it's going to take one extra conversion step before uploading but my test video worked. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 07:23 PM