> Chrnoam - Mtp
ChrnoAM
post Jun 15 2009, 02:56 AM
Post #61

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.823

Okay here's the first complete take of Guitar Loves Piano:

I need to get another soundcard or audio interface to stop all that popping soon!! mad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Jun 16 2009, 03:03 AM
Post #62

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 3.915

Over all I would say this is a pretty good take man. Really nice to see you getting control over your tone and vibrato. Your picking dynamic is better in this one also. Know real big problems to worry about but I do think there are a few small things you can work on still with this lesson.

First of all you mentioned you frustration with your sound. I know you are a starving student so here are a few links to help get you started.
http://line6.com/podstudiogx/
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...mp;src=3LL6WXX1

This is one of the cheapest (and still great quality) interfaces to record you guitar through your PC. Even though it doesn't look like a sound card it is and plugs into your PC via USB. It also comes with good software and driver to do your recording. Let me know if you have any other questions. I and a lot of other here use this stuff to make our recordings. The lesson you are working on was record with a Line6 device simular to this with the same modeling software. I think in some ways the way your are recording yourself now hides or keeps you from really hearing and feeling what is going on with the music your playing.

Second, there were a few places where the vibrato was stiff and short. A few examples would be at 0:14, 0:41, 0:44 and 1:01. In a peice like this those notes vibrato needs to be wider and smooth. Rhytm placement is pretty good but be careful and make sure the vibrato is in tempo OK.

Third thing is I would like to hear you change your pickups. This piece has 3 sections to it the way I see it. A beginning, middle and end.
Beginning - Begin with your neck pickup and work with the notes to build tention to the next section.
Middle - Switch to your bridge pickup and build to a climax.
End - Switch back to your neck pickup and bring the tention back down softly till you end on the last slide note.

Your telling a story with this peice of music so you need to make someone feel that.

If some of this doesn't make sence let me know. Sorry for the long response. Work on this and we will compare this upload with your next one. smile.gif

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Jun 16 2009, 03:16 AM

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
post Jun 18 2009, 03:02 AM
Post #63

QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Jun 15 2009, 10:03 PM) *
Over all I would say this is a pretty good take man. Really nice to see you getting control over your tone and vibrato. Your picking dynamic is better in this one also. Know real big problems to worry about but I do think there are a few small things you can work on still with this lesson.

First of all you mentioned you frustration with your sound. I know you are a starving student so here are a few links to help get you started.
http://line6.com/podstudiogx/
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...mp;src=3LL6WXX1

This is one of the cheapest (and still great quality) interfaces to record you guitar through your PC. Even though it doesn't look like a sound card it is and plugs into your PC via USB. It also comes with good software and driver to do your recording. Let me know if you have any other questions. I and a lot of other here use this stuff to make our recordings. The lesson you are working on was record with a Line6 device simular to this with the same modeling software. I think in some ways the way your are recording yourself now hides or keeps you from really hearing and feeling what is going on with the music your playing.

Second, there were a few places where the vibrato was stiff and short. A few examples would be at 0:14, 0:41, 0:44 and 1:01. In a peice like this those notes vibrato needs to be wider and smooth. Rhytm placement is pretty good but be careful and make sure the vibrato is in tempo OK.

Third thing is I would like to hear you change your pickups. This piece has 3 sections to it the way I see it. A beginning, middle and end.
Beginning - Begin with your neck pickup and work with the notes to build tention to the next section.
Middle - Switch to your bridge pickup and build to a climax.
End - Switch back to your neck pickup and bring the tention back down softly till you end on the last slide note.

Your telling a story with this peice of music so you need to make someone feel that.

If some of this doesn't make sence let me know. Sorry for the long response. Work on this and we will compare this upload with your next one. smile.gif

Hi Jeff, sorry for the late reply! I think I'm going to just buy that Line6 device. I was looking at them before, but wanted to have more options in terms of recording in the future. However, they seem like a good investment right now without all the other issues the higher end things bring along. I checked out those spots you mentioned and you're spot on as usual, those really are weak spots in that take, and I'll work them out!! The pickup selection thing I never pay attention to hahaha! I am a big Marty Friedman fan, and he had said that he doesn't worry about that while he's playing so I just took after him lol! But I'll give definitely give it it a shot for the next take as well, I'm sure it will help add to the feeling of the piece! Funny thing is I know a lot of the other guitarists I admire do switch around a lot, like John Petrucci, lol who this lesson is kind of in the style of wink.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Jun 18 2009, 03:44 AM
Post #64

Learning Tone Seeker

Going with one of the line 6 device is a good choice man. The GX is great but if you want more inputs and you planning on using a mic to sing, or need an XLR connection look at the UX1, UX2 or UX8. You won't be disappointed and I'll help you with some patches to get you started.

I'm glad you found the comments constructive. I suggested switching your pickup position not because I am trying to change the way you play but to encourage you to explore and try new ideas. Feel free to express yourself with this lesson however you want. That’s why I choose it. I want you to figure out the boundaries of your instrument and connect with it. When you play it you are speaking to people so learn how to make it talk. wink.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
post Jun 19 2009, 06:19 AM
Post #65

QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Jun 17 2009, 10:44 PM) *
Going with one of the line 6 device is a good choice man. The GX is great but if you want more inputs and you planning on using a mic to sing, or need an XLR connection look at the UX1, UX2 or UX8. You won't be disappointed and I'll help you with some patches to get you started.

I'm glad you found the comments constructive. I suggested switching your pickup position not because I am trying to change the way you play but to encourage you to explore and try new ideas. Feel free to express yourself with this lesson however you want. That’s why I choose it. I want you to figure out the boundaries of your instrument and connect with it. When you play it you are speaking to people so learn how to make it talk. wink.gif

Okay for the meantime before I get all the fancy new equipment, I tried to change up some of the settings in my software and get a better tone, and worked on the piece some more. Here's my 2nd take!

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Jun 25 2009, 03:32 AM
Post #66

Learning Tone Seeker

Sorry for the late response. My son is in his first baseball tournament (play off for the 1st place team) and tomorrow will be my 5th night in a row having another game. This should be the last week so I promise I will check things more often.

I could see you made some improvements in the middle section where I pointed certain things out. Vibrato and timing are better so nice job for that. You also used different pickups and you did that very smooth. Their wasn’t really a difference in tone but that is probably because of your sound card so no big deal right now. If you get the other recording stuff we have talked about then that will change.

I am a little concerned about the beginning section. I think you should listen to the main video, watch him and work on that some more. It seems like your just yanking down (to much) on the notes with no vibrato and they’re out of pitch. On your down bends you need to relax and not over do it. Add some smooth soft vibrato and he also does a few quick pull offs in that section. Play along with the main video some and see if you can hear the things I am mentioning (make sure your guitar isn’t louder than the backing lesson).

Lets start working on the other lesson I suggested with this one and post your takes when you can. Also let me know if you get the Line 6 interface and need help, ok.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/blue-note-in-a/

Cheers man! smile.gif

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Jun 25 2009, 03:42 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Jul 1 2009, 02:40 AM
Post #67

Learning Tone Seeker

Hey man, I hope all is well. smile.gif

I wanted to post this link for you. Sorry there isn't a video but I thought this might help to put my text comments in line with something audible. My focus is on helping you as much as you will let me so, please don't take this as an attempt to make myself look great or something. That's not my intent, ok.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=28513&hl=

Everything I recommended you try with the pickup switching and pick control (dynamics) is what I tried to do here.

Hope this helps you. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
post Aug 14 2009, 02:32 AM
Post #68

QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Jun 30 2009, 09:40 PM) *
Hey man, I hope all is well. smile.gif

I wanted to post this link for you. Sorry there isn't a video but I thought this might help to put my text comments in line with something audible. My focus is on helping you as much as you will let me so, please don't take this as an attempt to make myself look great or something. That's not my intent, ok.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=28513&hl=

Everything I recommended you try with the pickup switching and pick control (dynamics) is what I tried to do here.

Hope this helps you. smile.gif

Hey Jeff!

I've been back at home for summer break. How've you been?! I practiced a bunch of things while I was away back with my real rig back at home =) and learned a bunch of songs. I was actually thinking and I figured out what I want to work on the most, so next time we plan a new lesson I hope we can put these new things in. Also! I started working on the last lesson you gave me when I got back to my apartment, but I have some questions for you. Do you think we could do a webcam thing on Gmail's Gchat? That way we could work through some of the issues live. Anyway, It's great to be back, summer let me rest up, get rid of some of that stress! But I'm gonna be working hard this year for school too, boards are coming up this year hahaha, but it should be a good time!

Talk to you soon,
Amol

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Aug 17 2009, 02:52 AM
Post #69

Learning Tone Seeker

Hey Amol,

Good to here from you and I hope you enjoyed your break. There is nothing like home, right? smile.gif

What ever you feel you want to work on just let me know. Having your input would really mean a lot and help use both.

I am on Skype if that will work and you want to have a live Q&A. My name is Little Stoney.

I noticed you signed up for the new REC and requested Emir. I wish you the best of luck with that and have no regrets. My time working with you has been a wonderful experience and I hope it has helped you in some way.

I'm here if you need me bro!

Cheers,

Little Stoney smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
post Aug 17 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #70

QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Aug 16 2009, 09:52 PM) *
Hey Amol,

Good to here from you and I hope you enjoyed your break. There is nothing like home, right? smile.gif

What ever you feel you want to work on just let me know. Having your input would really mean a lot and help use both.

I am on Skype if that will work and you want to have a live Q&A. My name is Little Stoney.

I noticed you signed up for the new REC and requested Emir. I wish you the best of luck with that and have no regrets. My time working with you has been a wonderful experience and I hope it has helped you in some way.

I'm here if you need me bro!

Cheers,

Little Stoney smile.gif

Hey Jeff! Skype huh? Okay I'll download it tonite, and add you! Yeah I'm excited about the new program, hopefully I'll be able to improve even more this year! I think you opened me wide to the whole blues vibe, I'm totally hooked now lol! I think right now we should finish up the lesson you suggested. I've been working on it but I need some help, we'll talk when I get home tonite.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Aug 19 2009, 03:52 AM
Post #71

Learning Tone Seeker

When you get it installed let me know what your user name is OK? Add me to your contact list.

We'll get whatever problems your having worked out smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChrnoAM
post Aug 21 2009, 02:10 AM
Post #72

Hey Jeff, I added you my ID is amalankar.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Aug 21 2009, 02:20 AM
Post #73

Learning Tone Seeker

QUOTE (ChrnoAM @ Aug 20 2009, 09:10 PM) *
Hey Jeff, I added you my ID is amalankar.

Added you to my contacts. Make sure you add me to your list. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2017 - 07:35 AM