> Outlaw2112
lcsdds
post Mar 12 2009, 05:53 AM
Post #101

Learning Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.825

QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 12 2009, 05:37 AM) *
yeah ive been working on the sweeps you gave me about 20 minutes a night... Some nights when i work late i dont get as much practice in as i would like but i have been working on everything you asked me to.. I have it all saved in a gmc mtp file on my computer... the only thing i havent been working on that much is theory stuff, tonight i worked with the metronome alot... youre right it is frustrating, very frustrating but ill work through it

I was wanting to record the sweeps with the metronome but i get lost when i do that.. I can record them without it if you would like me to..

ill make a video tomorrow, its 12:30 here and i gotta get some sleep...

And anything you demonstrate will be a great help, but at the moment playing sweeps with the metronome and explaining it would be a huge help

thanks, monte

Alright John....I'll make a sweeping video tomorrow for you. I'll demonstrate the arpeggios I gave you in the tab and go over some of the finer points of sweeping. I think the metronome video will help you. Keep working with the Kaz-box and do that tab I uploaded in the Kaz-box thread EVERY time you practice and eventually it will get MUCH easier. Ask Dan....I know he really struggled with it a first.....So did I....But it is second nature to me now and I think it is MUCH easier for Dan now.

Watch some of Muris's lessons like the intermediate phrygian or lydian and look how easily he switches from playing triplets to 16ths to 16th triplets etc., This comes from being able to feel the beat which can be developed by using the Kaz-box!! Just keep working with it and it will get MUCH easier.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Mar 14 2009, 12:48 AM
Post #102

GMC:er

Member No.: 3.852

I practiced the metronome alot last night, and wish i could tonight... but i have my son for the night
and ill have to take the night off...

I plan on making a video before the weekend is over playing that sweep lick
with the kazbox

--------------------

+Quote Post
opeth.db
post Mar 14 2009, 02:53 PM
Post #103

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 5.886

Hey John...

I am on usually everynight between 9-12PM est.

Thogh lately I have not been cause I have been pretty tired with the new baby and all...

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Mar 14 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #104

I practiced alot more with the metronome today.. I did the sweeps with it and the gp file you sent me.. Now the only problem ones are 5 and 6 notes per beat.. But ill get it down, i had a video made of me playing the sweeps along with
the metronome and i even uploaded it to youtube, but i wasnt satisfied with it so i deleted it.. Ill post one tomorrow night

thanks for everything monte

QUOTE (opeth.db @ Mar 14 2009, 02:53 PM) *
Hey John...

I am on usually everynight between 9-12PM est.

Thogh lately I have not been cause I have been pretty tired with the new baby and all...

Ill check for you, im on at that same time usually on weeknights

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Mar 16 2009, 02:59 AM
Post #105

heres something i just made tonight.. more struggles at the metronome's hands

Its very frustrating and sometimes i tend to wander off into a metal riff or two, but im steady working on this
thing...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Mar 16 2009, 03:25 AM
Post #106

Its funny i can play along with cds with no problem, but this little clicking seems to give me problems

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
post Mar 16 2009, 03:39 AM
Post #107

Learning Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 16 2009, 03:25 AM) *
Its funny i can play along with cds with no problem, but this little clicking seems to give me problems

John,
I would really try to work on those scale shapes that I put in the tab and get all of those groupings down where you can play them in time with the metronome. Don't play any faster than 60 bpm. The goal of the excercise at this point is for you to lock into the beat...not to see how fast you can play. Work on this DAILY until you can post a vid of you playing in PERFECT time with the Kaz-box. As far as runs go in the guitar, almost all of the groupings can be broken down into groups of 3, 4 or 5.

Consistent practice is the key. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Mar 18 2009, 05:09 AM
Post #108

A night of disaster for practicing.. I had to change the brakes on my girls car and it needed not only brake pads but rotors.. So me and my dog were outside doing all that and had to run to get the rotors... finally got all that done ate dinner and got ready to practice when i hear my dog throwing up all over the place.. I guess he licked up some of the brake cleaner when i wasnt looking or something.. I had to clean all that mess up, then give him a bath.. did all this after working a 10 hour work day.. Now its midnight and im exhausted and cant get into playing cause my eyes are stinging..
I feel guilty cause im gonna have to goto bed without practicing tonight.. Looks like tomorrow im gonna have to practice and make up for tonight.. I dont want to let monte down, or myself..

anyway ive been working on the metronome alot more than i have the lessons.. This is my main goal to get this thing down.. I feel that once i get used to playing with this thing, my playing will improve by huge margins..

Just wanted to let you know whats happening, monte

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
post Mar 18 2009, 05:16 AM
Post #109

Learning Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 18 2009, 05:09 AM) *
A night of disaster for practicing.. I had to change the brakes on my girls car and it needed not only brake pads but rotors.. So me and my dog were outside doing all that and had to run to get the rotors... finally got all that done ate dinner and got ready to practice when i hear my dog throwing up all over the place.. I guess he licked up some of the brake cleaner when i wasnt looking or something.. I had to clean all that mess up, then give him a bath.. did all this after working a 10 hour work day.. Now its midnight and im exhausted and cant get into playing cause my eyes are stinging..
I feel guilty cause im gonna have to goto bed without practicing tonight.. Looks like tomorrow im gonna have to practice and make up for tonight.. I dont want to let monte down, or myself..

anyway ive been working on the metronome alot more than i have the lessons.. This is my main goal to get this thing down.. I feel that once i get used to playing with this thing, my playing will improve by huge margins..

Just wanted to let you know whats happening, monte

Don't sweat it John....Not letting anybody down. Hope your day goes better tomorrow. smile.gif

+Quote Post
opeth.db
post Mar 18 2009, 01:30 PM
Post #110

Watched your video John. Your definately playing it to fast. I had that syndrome where you want to play quick but if you can't play it slow, whats the point?

Monte is right. The purpose is to lock into the beat. I started at 40 BPM and went through every pattern.
2, 3, 4, 5, 6 notes per beat so you can comfortably know and play every pattern with ease.

It litterally took me a couple of weeks to really get it. Know Im reaping the benefits. The lydian serial I have been praticig is getting easy. Yea I can play it at the recorded speed of 90BPM but I can play it at 60. Knowing where the beats fall is key. It was tough for me to play to a backing cuz I would get lost because I would play by feel. Im still ahve some problems with it but I am able to to analyze the beat and figure it out.

Hope this helps and keep going man.

If you like I can make a video for you to show you how I did it.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
jer
post Mar 18 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #111

Group: Passive
Member No.: 5.836

Dont burn yourself out John.

Its not a race.

Its awesome that you are dedicated. Don't stress out on it though. Stressing about it is what demotivates me the quickest.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Mar 18 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #112

Thanks for the support... I kinda use monte as motivation, he put all this time into coming up with
a practice schedule and evaluating whats going on.. I want to do my share and do what he says, so i
dont want to let him down.. I know its not a race, but i feel guilty if i dont do what he has come up with.
Which is great, its exactly what i needed... Before i joined this mtp program, I was all over the place, learning
this and that, parts of lessons on gmc and not finishing them, parts of songs and not finishing them and not
practicing what i should be to advance the way i should..
So this is just what i needed to stay on track... even though i still do go off track sometimes and learn a
riff or two, but then i go back to what im supposed to be doing..

lately i have been metronome practicing for an hour straight to get this thing down... and yeah Dan, a video
on your metronome practice explaining how you did it would be very helpful not only to me but to others who
are struggling with this clicky thing

Iam very happy to be apart of this group and it seems like we are a small family or something offering each
other help when we need it.. Jer has been a tremendous help to me with this theory stuff, and if there is anything
I can help anyone with just let me know... I was going to make a metal galloping exercise video that i do everyday
after my practice routine, just to keep my metal rhythm practice up to par

thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
post Mar 18 2009, 04:17 PM
Post #113

Group: Passive
Member No.: 5.836

I was going to make a metal galloping exercise video that i do everyday
after my practice routine, just to keep my metal rhythm practice up to par

I'm looking forward to that!

Remember the kaz box video I made too. Its somewhere around here....

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
lcsdds
post Mar 18 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #114

Learning Tone Seeker

QUOTE (opeth.db @ Mar 18 2009, 01:30 PM) *
Watched your video John. Your definately playing it to fast. I had that syndrome where you want to play quick but if you can't play it slow, whats the point?

Monte is right. The purpose is to lock into the beat. I started at 40 BPM and went through every pattern.
2, 3, 4, 5, 6 notes per beat so you can comfortably know and play every pattern with ease.

It litterally took me a couple of weeks to really get it. Know Im reaping the benefits. The lydian serial I have been praticig is getting easy. Yea I can play it at the recorded speed of 90BPM but I can play it at 60. Knowing where the beats fall is key. It was tough for me to play to a backing cuz I would get lost because I would play by feel. Im still ahve some problems with it but I am able to to analyze the beat and figure it out.

Hope this helps and keep going man.

If you like I can make a video for you to show you how I did it.

Seriously John, trust me on this....DON'T focus on speed right now, focus on locking into the beat and play it like Dan says, slow and accurate. Speed will come....but not until you can play slow and clean.

I am going through this right now with my AP....I want to push the tempo too much and it isn't working. I have slowed it way down and I am starting to see some progress. Pretty soon you will have the metronome playing in your head all the time and it will be easy to phrase stuff in your head and you will know exactly what you want to play.

Playing with the CD or with the GP file is fine if that is all you ever want to do. If you want to write your own stuff and not have it sound boring you need to learn to count. Stick with it and once you get comfortable with that one pattern we will expand it to other licks and you'll be applying this to scales and arpeggios. You'll love it!!

Keep working, we all have rough days where we just don't feel like practicing. I had one this morning....don't force it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Mar 18 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #115

Yeah i have been playing everything at 50 bpm, just to get the feel of the thing... I will
get the clicky thing down, ive made it my most important goal at the moment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Mar 20 2009, 03:31 AM
Post #116

just made this tonight to show my metronome skills

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
post Mar 20 2009, 03:52 AM
Post #117

Learning Tone Seeker

John....Take your metronome and set it at the tempo you had in the video. Take your timer and set it for 3 minutes. Play nothing but 16th notes for 3 minutes....quintuplets for 3 minutes and then 16th triplets for 3 minutes.

The problem that you are having is that your technique is way ahead of your sense of rhythm when it is just you and the metronome. You played the triplets perfect. You rushed on all the others. Sometimes it is a lot harder to play things slow than it is fast. You need to lock into click, try and make that scale a repeating pattern where you can just cycle it over and over. Just running up and down the scale. It is hard to slow down when you are capable of playing much faster...but you can do it. Keep working. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Mar 20 2009, 03:54 AM
Post #118

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 20 2009, 03:52 AM) *
John....Take your metronome and set it at the tempo you had in the video. Take your timer and set it for 3 minutes. Play nothing but 16th notes for 3 minutes....quintuplets for 3 minutes and then 16th triplets for 3 minutes.

The problem that you are having is that your technique is way ahead of your sense of rhythm when it is just you and the metronome. You played the triplets perfect. You rushed on all the others. Sometimes it is a lot harder to play things slow than it is fast. You need to lock into click, try and make that scale a repeating pattern where you can just cycle it over and over. Just running up and down the scale. It is hard to slow down when you are capable of playing much faster...but you can do it. Keep working. smile.gif

i will get on it right away... turning on the metronome as i type cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
opeth.db
post Mar 20 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #119

Sorry John I havent made your video lately. been a tab busy this week. Ill try to get that up for ya this weekend.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
post Mar 21 2009, 12:45 AM
Post #120

QUOTE (opeth.db @ Mar 20 2009, 01:06 PM) *
Sorry John I havent made your video lately. been a tab busy this week. Ill try to get that up for ya this weekend.

No problem Dan,I know youre busy lately

ive just become obsessed with getting this metronome down...

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 05:18 AM