10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Outlaw2112
Outlaw2112
Mar 3 2009, 01:38 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 2 2009, 10:11 PM) *
Totally!! He is using some power chords and stuff as well but I can see the triad shapes he is using too. You can do some cool riffing when you combine triads with the Diatonic and pentatonic boxes. smile.gif

So do you actually know the box shapes John? From talking to you last night it seemed like you did. If you do then you are making way more work for yourself than you need to.

The scale that you know as "A Dorian" is also the Same as G major and E minor. Same exact notes same exact shapes. ALL major and minor scales use these box shapes, they are just in different positions on the neck depending on the key you are in. Learn them from my tab, you will recognize them once you go through them, just in a different position on the neck. Go ahead and follow along with the group assignments as far as the diatonic scale, pentatonic scale and triads.

You are responsible for the Ionian, Dorian and Phrygian BOX SHAPES this week. Learn them and associate the shape you already know with the name of the box. Then when you have to solo over G minor you just find the boxes in that key. Will make your life alot easier.

I am gonna come up with a routine for you. I'll make it about 60-90 minutes long that I want you to try and go through every time you practice. Do it first and then you can jam afterwards. I think you are easily distracted, so focus on the task at hand first and then you can noodle afterwards....and you'll have alot more tools to noodle with. smile.gif I'll get you your routine in the next few days.

I want you to start looking at Muris's Phrygian serial. All three levels, check them out and download the tab and start going over it. Thanks and I'll get back to you. smile.gif

Youre right i do get easily distracted, its much easier for me to learn a song with alot of triads in it then to
just go over the triads by themselves... But im dedicated to learning this stuff and ill do what it takes to
get this stuff in my thick skull... Ill follow any routine you give me

I know stuff like this, but i dont know all the talk for it... i know these scales and can run them without any problems
just when you are talking all that theory talk i get lost

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 3 2009, 03:33 AM
Ive actually been working on this song alot today... it has alot of nice techniques to get down in
it... from some nice sweeps, trills, pulloffs and speed picking...
I dont have it all down to the speed he plays it but ive been messing with it

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 03:55 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi John,
First off, can you tell me if I was skipping and cutting out last night on skype. I have had problem talking to Opeth.db in the past and I was curious if I had the same problems with you?

Here is what I am gonna plan for you for you individual assignments.

5 MIN:
-SLOW tempo warm up with pull-offs using the diatonic boxes. Pick one or two a night and concentrat on associating the name and the shape. I want you working in 8th note triplets (3 notes per beat) at no faster than 80 bpm.
I want you to concentrate on pre-fretting the notes when changing strings like we talked about on skype. Speed is not the key here, CLEAN AND ACCURATE IS THE NAME OF THE GAME. NO FASTER THAN 80 bpm or else I get the milkbone and hungry dog. If you don't know what I mean by this ask Jer!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

5 MIN:
Major or Triad shapes. Do Major one day and Minor the next. Play them both vertically and horizontally on the neck

10 MIN:
Major or Minor Triads played with sweep picking. These are from the tabs I sent you. Again, alternate days as far as Major and Minor shapes.

20 MIN:
First half of Phrygian begginer lesson by Muris. I'll send you a tab for this that spells out how I want you to practice it.

20 MIN:
Advanced type licks pulled from the Phrygian Advanced tab. 4 licks on one day and 4 licks on the other day.

10 MIN:
Sweep etude. Again I'll send you the tab with and show you exactly what I want you to practice on this. You are only gonna be working on the first few measures on this. 2 licks one day and 2 licks the next.

10-15 MIN:
Use this time to work on the group assignments that we are working on.

So you are basically gonna have 2 different practice routines that you will alternate on and this will take you about 90 min

Rest of the time is yours.....NOODLE AWAY!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif .

I want you to get a timer. This will keep you focused and not wandering. From watching your playing it looks to me like you could have some really sweet technique if you could really learn to focus your efforts consistently. I think if you can focus you can take you playing to the level I know you are wanting to.

Get a timer and some batteries for the KAZ-BOX.. laugh.gif laugh.gif

I'll get you your tabs tomorrow and give you a few more details about how I want you to go about practicing it. It's gonna be awkward at first but stick to it and I promise you will see a lot of progress.

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Mar 3 2009, 04:53 AM

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 3 2009, 04:07 AM
heres something i did awhile ago that i realized i used alot of triads in... only problem is i made the riffs and then tried to match the drums up with them... anyway i was soo happy with this at the time that i copyrighted it...

I used the triads, i just didnt know i was using them or what they were called...

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 3 2009, 03:55 AM) *
Hi John,
First off, can you tell me if I was skipping and cutting out last night on skype. I have had problem talking to Opeth.db in the past and I was curious if I had the same problems with you?

Here is what I am gonna plan for you for you individual assignments.

5 MIN:
-SLOW tempo warm up with pull-offs using the diatonic boxes. Pick one or two a night and concentrat on associating the name and the shape. I want you working in 8th note triplets (3 notes per beat) at no faster than 80 bpm.
I want you to concentrate on pre-fretting the notes when changing strings like we talked about on skype. Speed is not the key here, CLEAN AND ACCURATE IS THE NAME OF THE GAME. NO FASTER THAN 80 bpm or else I get the milkbone and hungry dog. If you don't know what I mean by this ask Jer!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

5 MIN:
Major or Triad shapes. Do Major one day and Minor the next. Play them both vertically and horizontally on the neck

10 MIN:
Major or Minor Triads played with sweep picking. These are from the tabs I sent you. Again, alternate days as far as Major and Minor shapes.

20 MIN:
First half of Phrygian begginer lesson by Muris. I'll send you a tab for this that spells out how I want you to practice it.

20 MIN:
Advanced type licks pulled from the Phrygian Advanced tab?

I'll be back....

yes you were cutting in and out a little bit

Ill do that routine...

3 notes per beat is going to give me a problem but ill do it and get it down..

what about the sweep etitude?

Attached File(s)
Attached File  intro_and_main_riff_2.mp3 ( 2.93MB ) Number of downloads: 132

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 04:54 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Finished your routine post. smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 3 2009, 05:11 AM
So i wanna get all this straight...

5 minutes - pulloffs using these the boxes in the A ionian scale ..
http://jguitar.com/scale?root=A&scale=...mp;notes=sharps

5 minutes - using the triads in the guitar pro file you have here
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&id=13923

10 minutes - the tabs you made for me on sweeps

20 minutes - this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/phrygi...loing-beginner/

20 minutes - this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/phrygi...loing-advanced/

10 minutes - this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/sweep-etude/

15 minutes - group lessons/ collabs

I just wanted to get it all together for easy access..

Is this right or am i missing anything?

This post has been edited by Outlaw2112: Mar 3 2009, 05:43 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 3 2009, 05:33 AM
Beginners Theory Part 1

NOTES.

There are 12 notes in music.

A
A#/Bb
B
C
C#/Db
D
D#/Eb
E
F
F#/Gb
G
G#/Ab

A# and Bb are the same note. As are C# and Db. Etc.....

There are no notes in between E and F and none between B and C.

Make sense?

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 3 2009, 05:35 AM
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 3 2009, 05:33 AM) *
Beginners Theory Part 1

NOTES.

There are 12 notes in music.

A
A#/Bb
B
C
C#/Db
D
D#/Eb
E
F
F#/Gb
G
G#/Ab

A# and Bb are the same note. As are C# and Db. Etc.....

There are no notes in between E and F and none between B and C.

Make sense?

yeah i know all those... all the notes, i thought you were talking about some scale notes and ive actually never counted all those notes to see that they are 12 notes..
thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 05:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 3 2009, 05:11 AM) *

5 minutes - pulloffs using these the boxes in the A dorian scale ..

20 minutes - this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/phrygi...loing-beginner/

20 minutes - this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/phrygi...loing-advanced/

All good but the first one John. I want you to learn A Ionian from the same tab that the triads are in. Same shapes as A Dorian just positioned on the neck differently. I want you to focus on associating the shapes with the names I have given them. smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 3 2009, 05:44 AM
A
A#/Bb
B
C
C#/Db
D
D#/Eb
E
F
F#/Gb
G
G#/Ab

Alright then, we have our notes. Now how do we construct the major scale?

Say..... E maj Do you know that?

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 3 2009, 05:47 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 3 2009, 05:11 AM) *

5 minutes - pulloffs using these the boxes in the A ionian scale ..

just redid it... im using the A ionian scale to do my pulloffs on

Also hey monte,

what scale is battle axe played in? and what key? and how would i figure this out for myself?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 3 2009, 05:53 AM
see my new post above when you have time John. You posted about 1/3 of a second after I did. May have missed it.

More tomorrow.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 3 2009, 05:58 AM
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 3 2009, 05:44 AM) *
A
A#/Bb
B
C
C#/Db
D
D#/Eb
E
F
F#/Gb
G
G#/Ab

No idea how to do that... sad.gif

wwhwwwh ?

QUOTE (jer @ Mar 3 2009, 05:44 AM) *
A
A#/Bb
B
C
C#/Db
D
D#/Eb
E
F
F#/Gb
G
G#/Ab

I would say
EF#G#ABC#D#E

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 06:04 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Also hey monte,

what scale is battle axe played in? and what key? and how would i figure this out for myself?

See if you can hunt down a GP file and I'll take a look at it. smile.gif smile.gif

Good job on the E major scale BTW! smile.gif

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 3 2009, 01:29 PM
wwhwwwh ?

Exactly!

pick any note and go wwhwwwh and you'll have the major scale for that key.

Always. Its a law of the universe.

So if I were starting a notebook of theory stuff I knew I'd write the 12 note names and the formula (wwhwwwh) of the major scale.

Now we have our Emaj scale.

EF#G#ABC#D#

Do you know how to find the chords that we would use to play in the key of Emaj?

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 3 2009, 01:38 PM
Im guessing we could use any chords in here EF#G#ABC#D#, just E would have to be the starting chord
and main chord used most often

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 3 2009, 02:46 PM
Here is how ya do it.

You take your scale. E F# G# A B C# D# and you "stack thirds". What do I mean by that? Well, each scale has 7 notes. (also called degrees) The first degree here is E, the second degree is F# etc....

We'll have 7 chords available to us. One for each note of the scale.

For the first chord, start with E, then count forward in the scale 3 notes (starting with E, so its kind of like 2 notes really depending on how you count) E --> F# --> G# So the first chord has E, then G#, then do it again from G# count forward 3 notes, starting on G#. G# --> A --> B.

That gives us E G# B And that is our first chord.

You can also look at stacking thirds as leap-frogging notes.

What would be the 2nd chord in the Emaj scale? It starts with our 2nd note in the scale.....

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 06:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 3 2009, 02:46 PM) *
Here is how ya do it.

You take your scale. E F# G# A B C# D# and you "stack thirds". What do I mean by that? Well, each scale has 7 notes. (also called degrees) The first degree here is E, the second degree is F# etc....

We'll have 7 chords available to us. One for each note of the scale.

For the first chord, start with E, then count forward in the scale 3 notes (starting with E, so its kind of like 2 notes really depending on how you count) E --> F# --> G# So the first chord has E, then G#, then do it again from G# count forward 3 notes, starting on G#. G# --> A --> B.

That gives us E G# B And that is our first chord.

You can also look at stacking thirds as leap-frogging notes.

What would be the 2nd chord in the Emaj scale? It starts with our 2nd note in the scale.....

Thanks for the help Jer. Keep going with Outlaw in this thread until you get him up to speed. Tell him the story about my Death Metal band if you need to but make sure he is on the same page as the rest of us. Good job dude! \m/\m/ smile.gif

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 10:06 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Outlaw,
What is the deal with your screename? 2112 is Rush right? What is outlaw? Not in the witness protection program are ya? tongue.gif

Alright, here is your tab for the Phrygian advanced. You will notice that above some of the measures I have wrote a Lick1, 2 etc, and specified which bars comprise that lick.

There are four of them. Each one of them focuses on a different technique as you can see from my notation. Make sure you figure out how these are played with relation to the beat so you can work them up to tempo with the Kaz-box, otherwise you will never get these bad boys down. If you need my help you know where to find me. wink.gif

Your assignment for the week with these is to just get them memorized and under your fingers and count them in your head so you know where the beat should fall. That way when you start working on them with the Kaz-box it will be easier. These are some tough licks, been working on them for a few months myself, so these are long term goals.

I think you have everything you need now as far assignments. Keep going with Jer and he'll get you up to speed with the rest of us on the theory.

Get to work dude! smile.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Mar 3 2009, 10:08 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Phrygian_Advanced.gp5 ( 8.19K ) Number of downloads: 81

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 3 2009, 10:36 PM
Hey John,

We last left off here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=348080

If you are confident answering that go ahead and list the notes for the other 5 chords for that scale. If you arent sure feel free to take it one chord at a time. No worries.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:14 PM