> Ear Trainign
Bogdan Radovic
post Mar 6 2009, 09:21 PM
Post #21

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.410

This takes years..I would for start recommend including ear training in your guitar practice time..You can do both at the same time.Start with intervals..Play them on guitar while singing to them.Next you can try playing the first interval (and singing it) and then singing the second interval before playing it on the instrument (to check accuracy and train your ear)..You can do same with scales...Its not that time demanding and will give you a lot of practice and you will feel it instantly. (Doesn't matter how good or bad your singing voice is)

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Mar 6 2009, 09:22 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JamesT
post Mar 6 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #22

Accomplished Tone Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.872

If you have a piano, it's best to use that, cause the keyboard is laid out so nicely for this. Start by memorizing the easy intervals: octaves, fifths, thirds (maj and minor). Play the two notes in sequence, then simultaneously until you can recognize the character of each interval. From there, once you get the easy ones down, go for the rest, 2nd, perfect 4th, 6th, etc. Move on to triads after you've got the basic intervals down.

Also if you can get someone else to play the notes and "quiz" you on which interval it was, it helps. In fact that's how our ear training professor in the ear training class I took in college did it. He assigned us to go practice by ourselves then he quizzed us all together in class each week for a few weeks.

It's definately true that you can eventually recognize all the intervals. I aced my ear training class back then. (hey, if I can do this anyone can laugh.gif ) Today I'm not sure if I could get all the intervals, but I did great during that semester and had them down pretty well. It was worth the effort, cause learning tunes by ear on guitar became so much easier after that.

Jim.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Mar 6 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.892

QUOTE (JamesT @ Mar 6 2009, 10:18 PM) *
If you have a piano, it's best to use that, cause the keyboard is laid out so nicely for this. Start by memorizing the easy intervals: octaves, fifths, thirds (maj and minor). Play the two notes in sequence, then simultaneously until you can recognize the character of each interval. From there, once you get the easy ones down, go for the rest, 2nd, perfect 4th, 6th, etc. Move on to triads after you've got the basic intervals down.

Also if you can get someone else to play the notes and "quiz" you on which interval it was, it helps. In fact that's how our ear training professor in the ear training class I took in college did it. He assigned us to go practice by ourselves then he quizzed us all together in class each week for a few weeks.

It's definately true that you can eventually recognize all the intervals. I aced my ear training class back then. (hey, if I can do this anyone can laugh.gif ) Today I'm not sure if I could get all the intervals, but I did great during that semester and had them down pretty well. It was worth the effort, cause learning tunes by ear on guitar became so much easier after that.

Jim.

This quiz type approach is great !

I was running a special 9 week course in Boston at private music school I was working at.
It was introduction to intervals and ear training. In each lesson we covered one or two intervals and were learning their sound ascending and descending. I was playing to my students things via Piano , Guitar and played them real life examples of how those intervals are used in music (from pop all the way to jazz styles). Of course, in class I asked everybody to sing the intervals !
It was very good experience for everybody and people who attended every other week that Masterclass series passed the class with 2 hours with me in the classroom there.
I might run something similar here as soon as I sort my instructor board, so stay tuned for that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2017 - 02:28 AM