> Great Solo Inquiries
Gerardo Siere
post Mar 16 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #1

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.558

Hi everyone, I want to ask for your opinion on what a great solo should have on it, it should be long short, has certain kind of licks or use certain modes, anything you find important on solos you like. Thanks.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
post Mar 16 2009, 01:43 PM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.056

For me, what's important in solos is the message you want to send: Sadness, Hapiness, and that is translated by the correct use of modes. I like sadness mostly, so I try to go to the minor scales such as aeolian and Harmonic Minor, I get my feelings out of them mostly. A solo should only be long, if it's melodic to me, I can't hear like 3 minutes of shredding licks over and over again (Malmsteen I hear like 2 minutes of a song, and that's it). The kind of licks it should have will reflect on the type of playing each one has in my opinion smile.gif

Cheers
Filipe

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
post Mar 16 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.490

I like a good and logical concept in a solo. Like you writing a book. You start slowly then build up and start to increase tension. Somewhere in the middle you play some more advanced lick to announce the "explosion" and a proper action. In this part the "secret" should be revealed smile.gif After that you lay down on some more relaxing notes and finish nice and smooth. Always look to connect the end of the solo with the rest of the song so the song flow remains logical with nothing too much in it and nothing to simple. Usually in songs the last chorus comes after a solo. That chorus should be the most powerful one before the end of the song. You should leave it some space with the end of your solo so the last chorus really stands out. I like melodic solos with a couple of advanced licks in it. If you watch my "rock ballad solo" there you could recognise this approach where I tried my best to make a solo that has all these ingredients. I hope this helps.

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Mar 16 2009, 01:50 PM

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
post Mar 16 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.464

Emir is right. Basically you need to "say something" with your solo, not to show how fast you can play.
Also if you can sing a solo, probably the solo is good. Brian May is a good example about this topic.

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars : Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps : Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs : Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other : Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks : Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear : Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew6
post Mar 16 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #5

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.319

I agree with Emir, my favourite solo being No More Tears By Ozzy. So much raw power end emotion in that solo

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Rogue Electric Acoustic (CHEAP lol)

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Mar 16 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.892

It depends on what style of music we are talking about here.
If you are thinking in Pop/Rock contest, popular music that millions of people are listening to (easy listening music, requires no ear training, simple harmonies, very repeating etc) than you need short and effective solo. That solo has to have some sort of quick build up, some flashy licks of a sort and climax towards the end , if not at the very end.

If you think about Jazz music for example, its totally different as solos are open and can go for as long as improviser feels the need to do it. That way you can have all sorts of different elements in whole solo overall, but also if you brake down each individual section and chorus, you will find motive development, repetition, sequence, approach patterns, arpeggios, tensions, half time vs double time feel, outside playing etc.

So if I had to compare Jazz to any other style of music, I would most of the times prefer Jazz solo to any other style of music solo. Simply put it requires more skill in every area (harmonic , rhythmic and melodic) as well as incredible improvisation/composing in real time skill, not to even mention ear training as not everybody can solo with melodic minor modes and do outside playing. If you develop your ear, you really start to appreciate gifts that Jazz music has to offer...

Edit : Of course every solo has to have a story, otherwise it sounds like bunch of notes and as technical exercise ! Intro development conclusion - just like in language, works same way in music smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Mar 16 2009, 02:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
post Mar 16 2009, 02:20 PM
Post #7

Instructor

Member No.: 1.439

Awesome post Gerardo!
For me, a great solo is one that I can remember.
It needs to have a good opening and good closing. It's just like when you meet someone, you often remember the first impression and last thing he says to you.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
post Mar 16 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #8

Learning Tone Guru

Member No.: 2.318

+1 to david, also I think in killer solo has to have some very catchy melody (in middle most probably), it doesnt even have to be singable (brian may style), it may be fast as hell.. just imagine Rising force solo. Those arpeggios will stick in your head, even if you are deaf.

To make it short -
1) you need to say hi (some good opening,possibly bends, slide, or that fluid run kinda thing, that Marcus Lavendell does in Winding roads)
2) you need to let it breathe and flow - even in some technical death metal, it cant (well shouldn) be 170 BPM 16th triplets from noon till dusk (dont know any good sounding example for this... wonder why) As in conversation - remember that when you make a pause somewhere, it will still ring in listeners head, thus making some nice harmony and then giving unexpected pause can have great effects
3) Catchy phrase - good example can be outro from Flood by Pantera or Sea of lies by Symphony X as well, this is the part of solo (generally), which brought most of us here smile.gif This is the part where you say "Holy jesus, that was amazing!"
4) Some crescendo/decrescendo - it has to come to climax, catarsion = call it how you want. Fast run, cheesy slides.. do what you want, just end it on strong note - or dont. Rule of the thumb is that the last note is a make or brake - nail it, and even medicore solo will be listenable:)

Just my two cents smile.gif

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Mar 16 2009, 03:50 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
post Mar 16 2009, 03:55 PM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 4.895

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Mar 16 2009, 09:50 AM) *
I like a good and logical concept in a solo. Like you writing a book. You start slowly then build up and start to increase tension. Somewhere in the middle you play some more advanced lick to announce the "explosion" and a proper action. In this part the "secret" should be revealed smile.gif After that you lay down on some more relaxing notes and finish nice and smooth. Always look to connect the end of the solo with the rest of the song so the song flow remains logical with nothing too much in it and nothing to simple. Usually in songs the last chorus comes after a solo. That chorus should be the most powerful one before the end of the song. You should leave it some space with the end of your solo so the last chorus really stands out. I like melodic solos with a couple of advanced licks in it. If you watch my "rock ballad solo" there you could recognise this approach where I tried my best to make a solo that has all these ingredients. I hope this helps.

I´ll copy this in my notebook!!! hahah smile.gif great tip!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew6
post Mar 16 2009, 04:00 PM
Post #10

Learning Rock Star

Nice tips Jakub! I think I will have to bookmark this thread! Excellent idea Gerardo

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
post Mar 16 2009, 04:07 PM
Post #11

Jazz Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 6.012

Great solo, or any solo must serve the certain function for the song, and cannot ever be analyzed with the relationship with whole song, for example perfect solo is guitar solo in Duran Duran's "Ordinary world" short and unforgettable! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
post Mar 16 2009, 05:51 PM
Post #12

GMC:er

Member No.: 5.926

Here`s few videos which consists minblowing solos:)

Solo starts at 2-36 smile.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Mar 16 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #13

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

Wow, some fantastic posts guys! This is what I call a quality thread biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Mar 16 2009, 07:22 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Sondre
post Mar 16 2009, 08:48 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 5.288

Amazing solo. No fast shredding, just simple melodies, bulding up to a climax! Amazing!

(3 solos!)

This post has been edited by Sondre: Mar 16 2009, 08:49 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew6
post Mar 16 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #15

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Sondre @ Mar 16 2009, 04:48 PM) *

Amazing solo. No fast shredding, just simple melodies, bulding up to a climax! Amazing!

(3 solos!)

and a Neil Young cover tongue.gif Nice

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
Sondre
post Mar 16 2009, 08:54 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 5.288

Yes, it is a Neil Young cover, but I prefer it to the original. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Mar 16 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #17

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Great solo should directly express players mood and character, and allow him to translate his emotions to musical expression. The musical content can vary dramatically, more structured, less structured, but good solo always has a sense and purpose, depending on the situation where it is used.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Mar 17 2009, 01:55 AM
Post #18

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

I sometimes "stop breathing for a moment" when listening to a great singer's line (and lyrics)...I kinda do it unintentionally like I'm identifying with him (imagine that I'm singing) and not wanting to make a noise while the verse is playing...Sometimes that happens when I listen to a great solo...Great solo IMO is exactly that - breathtaking ! It expresses beautiful melody and emotion, and great players are able to transfer all their energy , character and feelings in that solo and that's what it makes it so great! Its not what is played but how.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
post Mar 17 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #19

Jazz Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 6.012

Love that solo on Dave Metheus!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
post Apr 3 2009, 03:36 PM
Post #20

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.558

Thank you guys for your deep useful and nice replies, I will try to have all this in mind.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2017 - 09:07 AM