Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need a bigger amp
DranoMax
post Jan 22 2007, 04:51 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
From: I'm not telling! But it is in the US. In Utah. Near Cedar City.
Member No.: 561

Hey guys, I need to buy a bigger amp for gigs, but I don't know which one to get. I have a fender frontman 50 right now, and I love the distortion it has at lower volume levels. The problem is when I turn it up too high, as with most cheap amps it muddles up and loses it's lower end. I was wondering what kind of amp I should get that has the same amount of distortion (Warm and Chunky...mmm...) but won't cost me $1000. Oh and I play mostly hard rock and the Ozzy type metal. Sorry, not a dimebag fan.

--------------------
People make mistakes, that's why guns have bullets.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jan 22 2007, 05:35 AM
Post #2

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

I just love amps :-)
First off, for gigging you should definitly get a tube amp. And depending on the size of your gigs you should choose your wattage. It's too common people pick a 100W just because 100 is more than 50 or 30...
But to get that tube amp sound you have to put your amp to work... and if you play a 100W in a small pub people will just leave.
30W for small to medium size rooms, 50W for mid size to large halls and the 100W you bring out for stadium rock ;-)

Ok.. I shouldn't be talking I just got a 100W amp head myself but it didn't come in any smaller size so I had no choise :-D

You should get the wattage you like, I'm just saying a 30W cranked upt to 10 can be LOUD and sound better than a 100W with the volume set to 3.

For a budget amp you can check out the Peavey Valveking, it's got a lot of distortion.
Since you live in the USA there's whet they call a budget Mesa Boogie, named B-52. Perhaps could be something? Never heard it myself so I can't judge if it's any good.

Or for that real brown sound you get a Marshall, the one series I could suggest is the AVT, they are tubed in the pre amp.

The one killer amp Marshall makes today which would cover your needs to play Ozzy is the DSL, man... that one rocks. I almost went for that one myself but changed my mind in the end. You can make it sound Plexi... but it's a bit more expensive though.

Most tubes and most distortion for the money could be the Peavey Valveking afterall.

EDIT: Should mention Laney, killer amps, especially the GH series, not too expensive but they could ruin your budget since you'd need a cabinet aswell.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jan 22 2007, 05:43 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
DranoMax
post Feb 5 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the reply man! I'm going out of town to this big guitar store and I'm going to have to look these amps up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
post Feb 5 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.088

AVTs sounds pretty nice (when cranked), very unreliable amps though. I'd take a Valveking over an AVT. I've never heard of the Mesa B-52, I wonder if it's possible to get them in the UK...

This post has been edited by Zee Deveel: Feb 5 2007, 07:21 PM

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Feb 5 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #5

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (Zee Deveel @ Feb 5 2007, 06:59 PM) *
I've never heard of the Mesa B-52, I wonder if it's possible to get them in the UK...

It's not a Mesa, it's just called B-52 I think. Don't know if they sell outside the US.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DranoMax
post Feb 7 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #6

I've been looking through different amps on musiciansfriend.com and I've been wondering if I should buy a cabinet. But then I wouldn't know which head to get for it. Is it better to buy an amp with all the distortion and everything built in or to get a cabinet and a head? I don't have a bundle of money but it's still going to be a while before summer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
post Feb 7 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1.088

A cab is just a bunch of speakers, it does nothing without a head. It depends what you want really, stacks sound huge but they're a c*nt to transport.

I checked out the B52, even hunted down a guy that sells them in the UK but I've been told while they sounded pretty good they are very likely to break down.

I'd go for a Peavey Valveking I think.

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
Ironhead85
post Feb 15 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1.203

For all these suggestions, especially people mentioning B-52. That amp is freaking awesome for the price. I got my ATA-100 for onliny $1000 with the matching cabinet during a sale. I saved like 2 or 300 dollars. But the amp sounds awesome, my friend constantlly tells me how much better his Marshal JCM-2000 is, but we both use a BOSS EQ-7, and with the right touch you can really get a crisp yet dirty metal sound, or a really warm clean tone. It has one some awards based on quality and price comparisions. Here is their website. http://www.b-52stealthseries.com/start.html they are an American company that specialized in audio, especially PA and sound systems, but they recently got into guitar amplification and its awesome. The only complaints I've read were that SOME not many, have had the tubes blow a bit faster than most amps. I run mine for a few hours at a time, and I have not had any problems.

+Quote Post
dogman
post Feb 17 2007, 06:18 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 985

QUOTE (DranoMax @ Jan 21 2007, 10:51 PM) *
Hey guys, I need to buy a bigger amp for gigs, but I don't know which one to get. I have a fender frontman 50 right now, and I love the distortion it has at lower volume levels. The problem is when I turn it up too high, as with most cheap amps it muddles up and loses it's lower end. I was wondering what kind of amp I should get that has the same amount of distortion (Warm and Chunky...mmm...) but won't cost me $1000. Oh and I play mostly hard rock and the Ozzy type metal. Sorry, not a dimebag fan.

I dont know what you have for a cabinet, but if you are thrifty and shop Ebay,
you can pick a JCM 800 2205 (50 watt) or 2210 (100 watt) head for about $700-900 dollars
a 2 channel marshall that is just perfect for what you're looking for.

Then check out Avatar Speakers on Ebay. Talk to Dave and he can hook you up with
a cabinet with celestion vintage 30"s (hellatones) brand new for about $400.00 (that's a steal and a half)

Now you have the ultimate marshall half stack for $1,00.00 (give or take a little)

I have also gigged with my Pod 2.0 & floorboard straight into the board using the marshall hi gain setting as far as amp simulation and achieved tones very close my marshall stack screaming wide open
The only problem with the Pod setup is lenth of time it takes to break down your gear. You're done so fast the drummer expects you to help him hump his cage...lol.

This post has been edited by dogman: Feb 17 2007, 06:37 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2017 - 05:29 AM