Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Overdrive?, what is ment by this?
post Mar 21 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.757

Im trying to learn H.I.M covers and alot/all of his songs in the tabs say the guitar is to be Overdrive.

Ive got alot of Distortion tones so it sounds too crunchy and gainy for them.

So I can attempt myself what is ment by Overdrive(n)? What would on a PODxt Live would you lower or raise etc?

.... or for a shortcut does anyone have a nice tone that I can load and compare with my other distorted ones?

Jackson RR24 Snow White
Schecter C-1 Exotic Star w/ EMG 81-85
LINE6 PODxt Live w/ all additional patches
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Emir Hot
post Mar 21 2009, 08:48 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.490

Overdrive is like distortion but not a strong one. If your amp has some natural gain or drive and you need more than that you can turn on your overdrive pedal and have more distortion. If you're using POD, there must be some sound that can simulate that. Tweak it until you're happy.

Check out my <a href="" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>
+Quote Post
post Mar 21 2009, 10:05 PM
Post #3

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

Overdrive is about overdriving the power tubes using a OD pedal, or simulating the sound of an overdriven tube amp using a OD pedal.

It differs from distortion in the way that distortion alters the signal by adding... distoirtion.
If you want to push your powertubes into distortion you raise the signal level of an OD pedal to inclease the signal strength into the preamp -> poweramp to be stronger.

Meaning also that for the purpose it's good you you're right below the sweet spot and the OD pedal pushes you over.

The often do come with a knob for tube distortion (could be called dist or something on the pedal) just for simulating the sound. With solidstate or tube amps, doesn't matter so much. The difference is that it then gives more of a distortion effect than signal effect.

+Quote Post
post Mar 22 2009, 05:57 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.835

The simple answer - Overdrive is basically a weak distortion. Distortions sounds much dirtier because of the harmonics involved with an overly clipped signal.

Just use the distortion on the ValveKing, and set it to around 9:00, and try using more Mids.

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Mar 22 2009, 06:19 AM

Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato
+Quote Post
post Mar 22 2009, 06:52 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1.189

Overdrives that are mods can be pretty neat. I have one from this guy. Here is one of them, not the one I have though, but it sounds similar. It sustains your note without going high pitched as it tails off. Sounds to me like it is a bit compressed. But really sounds good.|294%3A50

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
post Mar 22 2009, 10:57 AM
Post #6

Group: Passive
Member No.: 3.084

in other way overdrive more mid range frequency than treble/ bass as in distortion

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2016 - 07:23 PM