2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Become The Best Guitarist, Practice makes master ???
Ivan Milenkovic
post Apr 11 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #21

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 11 2009, 12:50 AM) *
It all goes down down to how well you analyze your own progress/needs/difficulties - not the amount of hours.

This is definitely something that I would agree with 110%!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sigma7
post Apr 11 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #22

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.917

wuts makes another guitars better than others, ... soul. I think people missed mentioning this but it is also important that u find ur own style and technique, that may take years. Some already mention that u r not going to be great and playing excessive hours isnt going to help u. Find the things u need or want to learn, and spend an hour too with them.

It is like anarobics (spelling) vs aerobics. Those who are into physical fitness may know this. Jogging for long periods of time does not make u burn incredible amount of fat. It just makes u run longer.(Aerobics) But if you put all ur concentration and effort into 2 minutes, u will build up metabolism and stamina. (Anarobics) Same applies for the guitar. Doodling for hours will only make u able to doodle for hours if no concentration is involved. If you limit urself to one hour but purely focus on ur task, u will see a greater increase in skill and ability.

Im an idiot haha but the analogy works

This post has been edited by sigma7: Apr 11 2009, 08:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
RyanS.
post Apr 11 2009, 08:23 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 3.350

QUOTE (29a @ Apr 11 2009, 05:08 AM) *
2 Hours, 4 hours, 8 Hours, 16 Hours, damn don't you guys have a job / life. I'm happy if I manage 2 hours a day and may be 6 hours on a weekend (when my girlfriend isn't around). How the hell do you guys get so much time to practice?

Jonas

I agree! I wish I could play my guitar everyday for HOURS but with a job and family its not going to happen. I wish I started playing guitar years ago! But I can't that time is gone SO...... I feel I'm trying to do my best to get the best I can be the fastest I can get there. smile.gif Some times I think im doing good but some times I feel Im wasting my time!

+Quote Post
Chokehold
post Apr 11 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 5.563

QUOTE (29a @ Apr 11 2009, 02:08 PM) *
2 Hours, 4 hours, 8 Hours, 16 Hours, damn don't you guys have a job / life. I'm happy if I manage 2 hours a day and may be 6 hours on a weekend (when my girlfriend isn't around). How the hell do you guys get so much time to practice?

Jonas

I usually play 4-8 hours/day, and i got alot of time just because i don't have any really good friends.
The few i have is mainly interrested in playing video/computer games so i don't really leave have to leave the house often and i'm close to the guitar and internet all the time.

So you can't really have a life if you want alot of time with the guitar smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Epiphone SG, Some old fake Strat, and an acoustic of unknown brand.
Amp: Marshall MG 30DFX.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Apr 12 2009, 02:08 AM
Post #25

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

I think you can have a normal life while practicing the guitar, go out and hag out with friends. It just comes down how you wanna live the life you have. Man is a social being, and need other people in order to function properly, so going out, even ocassionaly, will be a great venting system.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JVM
post Apr 12 2009, 03:22 AM
Post #26

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.984

QUOTE (RyanS. @ Apr 11 2009, 03:23 PM) *
I agree! I wish I could play my guitar everyday for HOURS but with a job and family its not going to happen. I wish I started playing guitar years ago! But I can't that time is gone SO...... I feel I'm trying to do my best to get the best I can be the fastest I can get there. smile.gif Some times I think im doing good but some times I feel Im wasting my time!

I've been there bro. I think it was Hendrix who said something like, 'Sometimes you hate the guitar, but you have to keep playing' or something to that effect. Been through all that. And I know, it can be really rough sometimes, making you want to quit, and times when you see no progress, thats natural, but you've got to stop worrying. When you start worrying about your progress instead of enjoying the level that you're at, you begin to make up little excuses why you aren't as good as you want. Things like 'I don't have enough time to practice to become great'. And these are flat wrong, the only thing that determines how good you can be is how much you want it, you'll find the time to get there. For some it might take years, others months, but if you have the determination that you MUST play the guitar, you will.

This post has been edited by JVM: Apr 12 2009, 03:24 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
kahall
post Apr 12 2009, 03:34 AM
Post #27

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.393

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 11 2009, 08:08 PM) *
[..] Man is a social being, and need other people in order to function properly, so going out, even ocassionaly, will be a great venting system.

Will you go with me? I'm kind of scared. heh!

I get sick of the guitar sometimes. I take the day off and catch up on my Movie viewing, say hello to the wife. That kind of thing. I have the guitar for about 3 hours a day, I mean in my lap, but really only practice for about 2. On the weekends I try to keep from buying stuff I think I need but don't by playing as long as I want.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Apr 12 2009, 04:58 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 1.189

Well do what Robert Johnson did, he could hardly play, and went away from his community and wife for 9 months, came back and was the best guitarist anyone had seen. They say he sold his soul to the devil. Try going to a grave yard at midnight with a dead cat, and wave it around. Don't kill a cat, you have to find one that is dead already, keep your eyes out for road kill. That is supposed to work, I read that in Tom Sawyer. Then maybe the devil will come and you can cut a deal.

edit: Wait, I'm wrong. That was for removing Huck's warts. Well you can look up what you do to make the devil come, I am sure there are sites on internet that will tell you.

edit2: here he is singing about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MCHI23FTP8...=PL&index=1

As I remember it, the devil took him pretty early, so make sure you get it in writing, that he has to wait awhile. He makes you the best guitarist, and you get to live to very a very old man in good health. You can't trust the devil you know, because, well, he is the devil, so get it in writing.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 12 2009, 05:25 AM

+Quote Post
29a
post Apr 12 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 6.464

That reminds me of a metalocalypse serie where dethklok try to sell their soul to the blues devil smile.gif

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
djohnneay
post Apr 12 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 6.760

Reminds me of this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FRtkek-Et4...PL&index=47

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Apr 14 2009, 04:09 PM
Post #31

Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Group Icon

Member No.: 4.464

I agree, 1 hour of focused practicing will help much more than just playing around all day long. And selling your soul as Dethklock did will for sure help too tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Jesse
post Apr 14 2009, 04:41 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 5.426

Hey lads, I put this practice routine together, since I've never used one. It's really to focus on my weaknesses, such as tapping and legato and to discipline! biggrin.gif:D:D
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Crazy_Chord_inversions.doc ( 57K ) Number of downloads: 105

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017 - 03:36 PM