Getting An Accoustic
29a
Apr 7 2009, 03:30 PM
GMC:er
I fiddled a little bit with an acoustic guitar yesterday and I enjoyed it quite a bit. So now I want to get an acoustic guitar myself. So I read some stuff about acoustics but I'm still quite unsure. So I need your help guys.

First what I wanna play. I guess its mostly picked stuff. I'm not a big fan of crazy strumming. I'm interested in classical pieces, rock and so on. And I want to play the bards song for sure. I hope that makes sense.

So where I am now.

I think classical guitars are not really the right thing for me. They seem to be so clunky. So I guess what I want is a western guitar. They seem to be far less clunky. Now Dreadnought or Jumbo, oh well I have no Idea. I've also noticed ovations roundback guitars. They seem to be quite interesting to me.

I think that one could actually be something for me:
http://www.thomann.de/de/ovation_2778ax5.htm ...at least it looks cool AND it says elite rolleyes.gif !

As you can see I've got no clue about the subject, please help me.

First how much money does a good acoustic cost?
By good I mean one that will make me wanna play it because it sounds and feels good not a perfect instrument.

Am I right with my assumption that I'm probably better off with a western guitar than a classic concert guitar?

Are Ovations something for me?
Especially the one linked.

What other guitar would you recommend?

Jonas

EDIT: why can't I correct the accoustic in the title sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by 29a: Apr 7 2009, 03:37 PM

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
sted
Apr 7 2009, 06:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
A good starter point would be to say that you want a semi acoustic with a cutaway for higher fret access, avoid the rounded back types as they are ok for amps but sound rubbish acoustically, I would also be wary of designer types that have fancy soundholes and stuff, guitars have been made a certain way for hundreds of years for a reason!
As far as budget its take your pick! They differ even more than electrics and are harder to tell apart too unless you know what you are looking at.
for your first acoustic I would recommend by Crafter, Takamine and some of the fenders for around the 400-700 euro range, upwards of a 1000 euro you should be looking at Martin, Fylde and the like.
As for size Dread's have a great sound but can be tiresome to play, spanish bodies have a nice tone but can be a little refined if you want to crash a few open G's!
If you want a guitar to treasure why not go see a luthier? You would get a damn fine acoustic for the same as an off the peg job tailored to your needs, it wont say Martin on the headstock but it will be your personal frien for years!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:05 AM