2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ok, This Young Man Can Really Play., You've got to use a metronome!
UncleSkillet
post Apr 10 2009, 04:56 AM
Post #1

Learning Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.915

This young man is really a great player IMHO.

He has a wonderful sense of rhythm / timing and I think most of this comes from practicing with a Kaz-Box (metronome). I just wanted to share this with everyone.

Think about it! How do you spend your time practicing? It might be worth thinking about. smile.gif I know I am looking at a lot of things differently lately. wink.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lcsdds
post Apr 10 2009, 04:59 AM
Post #2

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 5.825

You already know what I think about the Kaz-box..... biggrin.gif Awesome player.

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
post Apr 10 2009, 05:11 AM
Post #3

GMC:er

Member No.: 6.965

Very good player, great timing, teach me how to play like that!
How do ya remember all of that?

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Apr 10 2009, 05:30 AM
Post #4

Learning Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Apr 10 2009, 12:11 AM) *
Very good player, great timing, teach me how to play like that!
How do ya remember all of that?

Well Azzaboi, I'm not sure what I may be able to teach you. We can give it a go though smile.gif

What you need to do is apply in the MTP program HERE https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...0&start=120

Then PM me when you post your application and we will chat. Please post a video or MP3 of you playing.

Rock On!

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
post Apr 10 2009, 05:32 AM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.490

very cool song and playing

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ctodd
post Apr 10 2009, 05:41 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3.051

yeah, this is Jack Thammarat, someone posted this video awhile back of his playing... it's a great song, and I think it's an original

This post has been edited by Ctodd: Apr 10 2009, 05:42 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Apr 10 2009, 05:47 AM
Post #7

Learning Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Apr 10 2009, 12:32 AM) *
very cool song and playing

When are you going to be able to do the Joe Satriani /Vai Collab Emir? I'm ready and need something cool to work on and write.

Lets experiment with some melodic shred. smile.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
post Apr 10 2009, 05:53 AM
Post #8

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 5.825

QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Apr 10 2009, 05:47 AM) *
When are you going to be able to do the Joe Satriani /Vai Collab Emir? I'm ready and need something cool to work on and write.

Lets experiment with some melodic shred. smile.gif biggrin.gif

Yeah...C'mon Emir...get with it.... tongue.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Apr 10 2009, 05:59 AM
Post #9

Learning Tone Seeker

I have a new light bulb if you need one for your lamp Emir. biggrin.gif

No worries, it has a warrenty so if it "POP"S" we are good tongue.gif laugh.gif

LETS ROCK MAN!!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
razman
post Apr 10 2009, 06:01 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 6.972

A simply awesome player.

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez JS signature fitted with the GK2 pickup
PRS Classic
Music Man Stingray 5 Bass

Recording
Amplitube X-Gear, Metal, Amplitube 2
I have no amp at this time due to moving from the US and they lost (or someome stole) my Rocktron Prophesy.
Sonar 8 Producer, Ableton Live 7

Effects
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Line 6 Delay Modeler
Roland GR-20 Guitar Synth
I also have a Rocktron G100 but no AC adapter for it.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Apr 10 2009, 07:00 AM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.892

Great link, this guy can play for sure wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Apr 10 2009, 07:05 AM
Post #12

Learning Tone Seeker

And another! smile.gif

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
post Apr 10 2009, 08:49 AM
Post #13

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 4.882

ohmy.gif

Awesome!! How you memorise an 8 minute solo as complex as that Petrucci one is beyond me!!

Also, dont know if you European guys know this but the term "Glasgow Kiss" is slang for when a scotsman head butts you!!

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Apr 10 2009, 09:09 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Apr 9 2009, 10:56 PM) *
This young man is really a great player IMHO.

He has a wonderful sense of rhythm / timing and I think most of this comes from practicing with a Kaz-Box (metronome). I just wanted to share this with everyone.

I don't see it that way, and realize nobody is going to agree with me, but to me he sounds kind of sterile, and I attribute that to way too much backing track practice, or drum beat or metronome. I found him to be very clean, and accurate, which I admire, but a bit uninspired, and so a bit uninteresting.

I use them some for drills, but have grown to solidly feel that if you really ever want to take it to your potential, you need to do most of it on your own, and not overdo the background support. This is not a novel opinion, there have been teachers in the past, who would not even let students use one at all, such as that taught classical. I feel that the background noise not only makes you sterile because of the clock like timing, but also the sound covers up your own imperfections, and lulls you into thinking that you sound better than you really do.

Here is an old recording by an 83 year old woman, on piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk23BePlKNA

I came across this when I was learning Hot's Alla Turca, and found that he was quite similar to this, at least I think so. Imagine how good she must have been in her prime. And as far as backing goes, Hot did a fine job on the backing. And I like playing against it some.

I was trying to figure out her bpm, and found she was all over the place, ranging maybe from a little over 120, to maybe 145. That is how you play music, not like you are a robot.

Anyway, everyone who read this can tell me how stupid I am, and how I don't know anything, although I am going to continue to be stupid like this, because it makes sense to me.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 10 2009, 09:18 AM

+Quote Post
Chokehold
post Apr 10 2009, 09:30 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 5.563

QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 10 2009, 09:09 AM) *
I was trying to figure out her bpm, and found she was all over the place, ranging maybe from a little over 120, to maybe 145. That is how you play music, not like you are a robot.

Anyway, everyone who read this can tell me how stupid I am, and how I don't know anything, although I am going to continue to be stupid like this, because it makes sense to me.

I don't get it, where does the bpm change?
If you stamp your foot with the song you don't need to change tempo anytime in the song.
But as it's just foot stamping and not by my metronome so can i be wrong, sorry about that.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Epiphone SG, Some old fake Strat, and an acoustic of unknown brand.
Amp: Marshall MG 30DFX.

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Apr 10 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (Chokehold @ Apr 10 2009, 03:30 AM) *
I don't get it, where does the bpm change?
If you stamp your foot with the song you don't need to change tempo anytime in the song.
But as it's just foot stamping and not by my metronome so can i be wrong, sorry about that.

There are parts where she varies tempo, sometimes for a brief period, or as a buildup to some faster section. Any great play, classical play, has variations in rhythm, organic and often subtle variations. The main reason I don't do the backing or beat as much as I used to, is that they lull you into thinking you sound better than you really do. Maybe not a simple metronome, but a drum beat or backing will do that. But also just that while it is good to be able to hold a steady beat, and I do use them for that purpose, to make interesting music, inspired music, if you really want to do that, I think you have to get away from that to an extent, and find your own organic rhythm.

edit: echo can do the same. I like echo, but really it can cover up a lot of flaws. When I first started I might hear someone play something real fast with a lot of echo, and it sounded great. But now later I can hear a lot of imperfections. I don't want that for myself. You have to be patient to get things right, or you can turn on the echo and say forget it, nobody on youtube knows the difference. To each his own. As I said, this guy is not inspired, his music is to me very accurate, but way too clock like. Other may feel differently.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 10 2009, 10:01 AM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Apr 10 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #17

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.159

Cool take on Glasgow Kiss. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Jesse
post Apr 10 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 5.426

LOVE that glasgow kiss. I adore the irish influences,so melodic and inspiring:D But I agree, that this guy is a bit robotic:D I mean, he seems bored (I know hes probably not) . He know's it TOO well. I think he play's it TOO good, know what I mean?BTW, when I hear music like this, with those irish things in it. I get an immense sense of patriotism all of a sudden:D Not kiddin;)

This post has been edited by Jesse: Apr 10 2009, 10:46 AM

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Startear
post Apr 10 2009, 02:15 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 7.023

cool smile.gif

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
post Apr 10 2009, 02:18 PM
Post #20

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 5.023

That was really good. God this really reminds me that I need to break out my metronome. smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2017 - 04:56 PM