Are There Any Ibanez' With A Thick-depth Neck, But A Thin Width (nut Length)?
Pavlov
Apr 13 2009, 01:06 PM
GMC:er
I'm in the market for a low/mid-range (400-500 euro) versatile guitar with coil-tapable humbuckers (or alternatively, a good middle single coil, or both). I heard Ibanez' are great for that, however, while I absolutely love guitars that have a thin width of the fretboard, guitars that have a thin neck-depth make my hands cramp up horribly.

Does Ibanez make any guitars that have what I want? Reason I ask for Ibanez is because, for what I'm looking for, Ibanez seems by far the most common here. There are very little if any Schecters and similar guitars around here.

The cheaper SA series seem like a pretty good buy, but I haven't been able to try them out yet. How are their necks?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pavlov: Apr 13 2009, 01:08 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 15 2009, 08:30 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I am not really the Ibanez expert here, I only had one in my life and that was in the middle of the 80's, but as far as I know most of their necks are rather flat.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Apr 15 2009, 09:03 PM
check the SZR series or the ART or Artcore series,

their necks are rounder and thicker...not as thick as a strat, but thicker than a regular ibanez neck

they are great for down tuning, some come loaded with active pick ups so the batterey and all that is already installed, and the price is right!

check the SZR720 model...its in your price range (i think) and it has a beautiful look, vine of life inlay, gold hardware, and its MIK (not as good as MIJ but good for the price)

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Apr 15 2009, 09:34 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Apr 15 2009, 09:30 PM) *
I am not really the Ibanez expert here, I only had one in my life and that was in the middle of the 80's, but as far as I know most of their necks are rather flat.

Thanks Marcus!

Today I went to the shop after an insane amount of research and came back with a SAS36, which have necks equivelant to a stratocaster.

I needed a versatile guitar. My Mustang no longer sufficed and I couldn't keep borrowing my friend's strat forever. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Apr 15 2009, 09:40 PM
good choice! those a great guitars!

the stock true duo system isnt bad either!

one thing i would suggest, is to replace the nut at the headstock with either roller nuts or graphite nuts, that way the trem will stay intune very very well!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Apr 15 2009, 09:58 PM
Oh, thanks for your reply too, Marc. I had not even noticed it - I began writing my earlier reply before you reacted, got distracted, then went back to finish it.

Regretfully, they didn't have the SZR series (I really like the gold hardware for some reason), but I actually went for the SA series, anyway, and came home with one of them!

Thanks for the suggestion. I did not realise the nuts made that big of an impact - I was thinking of upgrading to locking tuners sooner or later. I'll keep the nut in the back of my mind, too.

The only thing I dislike about the guitar currently is that it doesn't stay in tune as well as my friends USA strat (but I can't expect that!) and that it's made in China. For some reason I associate 'made with China' with 'horrid quality', but the salesman assured me that if they had not returned it, it means it was fully checked and approves by store staff.

It seems like a nice future-proof guitar. It works well now, and I can always upgrade certain parts. Looks wise, it's stunning.

It was a hard decision choosing between this one and a black SAS32(beautiful inlay!).

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Apr 15 2009, 11:49 PM
your guitar is not made in china!!!

at least i dont think! tell me the serial number on the bck of the headstock!

the reason why i say get a new nut, is because what happens with these stock ones, is that when you bend with the trem, it does not slide smoothly through the nut, that is what causes it to go out of tune...so using a roller nut, or a smooth nut like a graphite nut would work BETTER than locking tuners...locking tuners are a waste of your money if you dont have the proper nut. the sat pro 2 that comes with your guitar is a fine trem, it just needs a better nut to stay in tune, which is why your friends fender stays in tune so much better...he probably has a bone nut or what ever MIA fenders come with it.

this guitar takes upgrades like a champ, its one of ibanez's most underated guitars!

and even if it was made in china, you could still get a great guitar...

all guitars whether its MIA, MIK, MII, MIJ all are made on the same type of machine! the thing is, the "higher end" shops have better or more strict quality control...so china lets out more bad ones than good just because it has poor Quality control!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Apr 16 2009, 07:42 AM
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Apr 16 2009, 12:49 AM) *
your guitar is not made in china!!!

Haha, it proudly says 'Made in China' on the back of the headstock. tongue.gif

And thanks for all the tips. A nut replacement is not that expensive. You sure do know your ibanez!

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Apr 16 2009, 03:01 PM
hahaha ive been a proud ibanez user for 6-7 years, and ive been a member of their forum for 2 years so i know a lot more than a i should....but its good because now im the gmc ibanez expert! haha

i didnt know though that the SAs were chinese...interesting because they dont feel like chinese guitars! maybe its a new thing because last year SAs i could have sworn were made in korea

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Apr 16 2009, 08:32 PM
Used an online Ibanez serial decoder thingy:

Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Sae Jung Plant, Indonesia
October 2007
Production Number: 57558

Odd. The shop told me it was made in 2008, and the neck says China.

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Apr 16 2009, 08:35 PM
read ME the serial please

if that thing is right

your serial should say

I0757558

which i think is missing info because usually ibanez guitars tell you the month it was made as well, but that might be and older serial number thing

pictures would be nice too biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Marc_Maiden: Apr 16 2009, 08:35 PM

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Apr 16 2009, 08:40 PM
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Apr 16 2009, 09:35 PM) *
read ME the serial please

if that thing is right

your serial should say

I0757558

which i think is missing info because usually ibanez guitars tell you the month it was made as well, but that might be and older serial number thing

pictures would be nice too biggrin.gif

Close!

The number is 'J071057558'.

Pictures will come tomorrow. I love the guitar except for the binding. Looks like it's made of plastic. Then again, it probably is. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Apr 16 2009, 08:46 PM
i knew it was wrong!

J=Sejung which is a chinese factory

07- it was made in the year 2007
10- it was made in october of 2007
57558- it was the 57558th SA36 made!

like i said though, the quality control for the SA series are great..ive never heard a story of a bad one! treat her well! give her a good set up, make sure you oil the fretboard, striaghten the neck, level the trem, and she will be good to go for a while

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Madvedon
Apr 16 2009, 08:48 PM
by the way you could just buy a good ibanez and get a custom neck for your fitting.
I had an old ibanez once with a wizard neck but it was fukigen plant made (japaneese) those are cheap guitars with a legendary quality.
But don't worry man I have an epiphone that is made in china its really good guitar, I hate her neck thought because it has no good curve for my hand but the sound is really good quality

Sae Jung Plant, Is in china really what a silly mistake on this serial dater project

This post has been edited by Madvedon: Apr 16 2009, 08:51 PM

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Apr 16 2009, 08:56 PM
actually madvedon is right,

in the 80's and 90's

90% of ibanez guitars were MIJ, and they were priced very well...thats how they built their name...their quality is still good, not as good as before, but moving production to china and indonesia made it possible for even cheaper guitars

people often make the mistake and say "oh the 80's and 90's rg550s and s540s (or any variation of them) was waayy better than any of the guitars on the market now"

thats an inacurate claim, because new, those guitars sold for $800+
thats pretty much a prestige,
and the ibanez prestiges are not the same as the older guitars, but they are still pretty high on quality.

for you to change your neck, you would need to find an AANJ ibanez 22 fret neck, and very few of those came in wizard I form

This post has been edited by Marc_Maiden: Apr 16 2009, 08:57 PM

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Madvedon
Apr 16 2009, 09:05 PM
The old MIJ guitars and the prestige are much different, the prestige now is all about a better hardware : dimarizo pups, edge pro or zrIII tremolo and the best thing is the 3/5 piece maple neck with (mahogany I think) stripes

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Apr 16 2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the information. I'm relieved about Chinese quality, and nice to know where it's from.

I don't think I would be able to change the neck, since it's a set neck, basically. But that's okay, I like it. Great practice guitar and maybe in the future for the first couple of gigs too.

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Apr 17 2009, 07:35 PM
Marc, I have an additional 'problem'.

When I tune all the strings to a different tuning, the moment I hit the strings they're out of tune again, and I have to retune them about 2-3 times before they stay in tune properly. Is that because of the nut, too? And as for nuts, which one do I need? There are so many. I have done some research, so it's not that I'm just too lazy to look. But I don't know which one fits the SA36 neck.

This post has been edited by Pavlov: Apr 17 2009, 07:38 PM

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Apr 17 2009, 09:26 PM
have no fear my friend...

the sat pro 2 is somewhat of a floating trem, meaning when you change tunings, you have to tighten or loosen the springs on the back of the guitar to get the trem level

the link in my signature explains it more and in depth

im not exactly sure which nut you would need, i think that they are universal...all the info you are looking for though, should be in my link in my signature with a link to ibanez guides made by players for players

need anything else lemme know

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:52 AM