Louisiana Red, One for the Blues fans!
sted
Apr 18 2009, 12:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
Went to see a true living breathing blues master last night in Southport, Louisiana Red. For those who dont know him here is a short excerpt from his life.

"Louisiana Red was born in Alabama in 1932, and is one of the last great
bluesmen still performing, who earned his place in the blues via the harsh
realities of life and who learned his craft from the fathers and grandfathers
of the blues; Son House, Elmore James, Lightnin’ Hopkins, Arthur Crudup,
Robert Nighthawk, Muddy Waters & John Lee Hooker, to name just a few!"

It was a small gig alongside Michael Messer who is an amazing slide player, only about 150 people in a small venue, to hear this guy talk about the days growing up and touring with Muddy Waters (Muddy used to introduce Red as his adopted son!) and running errands forArthur Crudup when he was thirteen was just amazing.
He's now 77 and a little unsteady on his feet but i just cant describe the feeling that i got when he started singing, it was like Muddy Waters and john Lee Hooker all rolled into one, everybody was just mesmerised.
If you get the chance go see him coz he wont be around too much longer and guys like him will soon just be a you tube clip.

I should mention a young girl also done a spot (didnt catch her name), only seventeen years old and up on stage with a dobro playing a son house number, good to know the blues is strong with as it ever was with all the people.

http://www.michaelmesser.co.uk/LOUISIANA%2...EL%20MESSER.htm

http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?hl=e...4&ct=title#

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Apr 18 2009, 02:04 PM
GMC:er
Yeah, he toured with Wentus Bluesband, a blues band from Finland. Unfortunatly I never got the oppuortunity to see them live. Saw a documentary of the tour though. Fun to watch.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 18 2009, 03:09 PM
Nice one!!!!! I'll have to check if he's playing any London Shows!!!

Micheal Messer is awesome, I've worked with him at quite a few Shows/Festivals!! I first met him in '89!!!!

Quick edit!!
18/04/09 Norden Farm, Maidenhead
19/04/09 Norden Farm, Maidenhead
SLIDE GUITAR WORKSHOP

That place is about 3 miles away and I'm busy tonight and tomorrow!!! mad.gif

Still, I'll try and catch them at this one!
26/04/09 Green Note, London.

I'm seeing Ultravox on the 24th, got a big Birthday Party on the 25th too!!!
I can see it all getting a bit silly!!!
unsure.gif blink.gif ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Apr 18 2009, 03:13 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 18 2009, 05:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 18 2009, 03:09 PM) *
Nice one!!!!! I'll have to check if he's playing any London Shows!!!

Micheal Messer is awesome, I've worked with him at quite a few Shows/Festivals!! I first met him in '89!!!!

Quick edit!!
18/04/09 Norden Farm, Maidenhead
19/04/09 Norden Farm, Maidenhead
SLIDE GUITAR WORKSHOP

That place is about 3 miles away and I'm busy tonight and tomorrow!!! mad.gif

Still, I'll try and catch them at this one!
26/04/09 Green Note, London.

I'm seeing Ultravox on the 24th, got a big Birthday Party on the 25th too!!!
I can see it all getting a bit silly!!!
unsure.gif blink.gif ohmy.gif

ultravox?!? wow, didnt know they were still going, they were out when I was a kid!!

Cool that youve worked with Michael, I had a quick chat to him and he seems a really genuine guy. I got him to sign a copy of Lucky Charms (His new album, not the cereal for everyone else!) which is a great album, I'm hoping to sign up for one of his teaching seminars so if you hear of any let me know please mate!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 19 2009, 04:52 PM
QUOTE (sted @ Apr 18 2009, 05:44 PM) *
ultravox?!? wow, didnt know they were still going, they were out when I was a kid!!

Cool that youve worked with Michael, I had a quick chat to him and he seems a really genuine guy. I got him to sign a copy of Lucky Charms (His new album, not the cereal for everyone else!) which is a great album, I'm hoping to sign up for one of his teaching seminars so if you hear of any let me know please mate!! biggrin.gif

Ha, the Ultravox thing is a One-off show with the original line-up! I never went to see them back in the day, I was too busy watching Rock and Blues Bands! This could be the last time they ever play so I thought I'd better go! Rumour has it that John Foxx will be joining them to complete the very original Line-up!

Micheal is a very genuine Guy!! I think he's going to be doing some Seminars at some of the Bath Guitar weekend things. As soon as I hear anything I'll post some details here!!
smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:12 AM