Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pricey Guitar Vs. Cheaper Guitar?
Guitarman700
post Apr 28 2009, 02:52 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.632

My $1200 dollar Jackson (got it on sale for $650) is still the best guitar ive ever played.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
post Apr 28 2009, 05:05 PM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.927

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Apr 28 2009, 03:23 PM) *
Even if the frets need to be redone, you can still save money on it.

Yes, absolutely! smile.gif Especially for all those "wanna be luthier's" like myself laugh.gif

I've re-fretted a whole neck once... it was not easy, but in the end it turned out great! Only costed about 5 usd, or something like that... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
post Apr 28 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 6.124

im going to work on a project over the next few weeks and that is to see which "inexpensive" guitars are worth buying

so far im going to compare the following brands:

Switch
Douglas
SX
Squire
Ibanez
Epiphone

and maybe others

the objective of this is to find a guitar, that is playable and useable, while also being upgradable to a intermediate-pro level while still saving money

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
post Apr 28 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 1.632

QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Apr 28 2009, 03:04 PM) *
im going to work on a project over the next few weeks and that is to see which "inexpensive" guitars are worth buying

so far im going to compare the following brands:

Switch
Douglas
SX
Squire
Ibanez
Epiphone

and maybe others

the objective of this is to find a guitar, that is playable and useable, while also being upgradable to a intermediate-pro level while still saving money

Definetly add Jackson to that list. Great quality to price ratio.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
GuitarMonkey
post Apr 29 2009, 01:16 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 6.847

I currently own an "SX" Les Paul copy. It is the only thing I have to play on currently. I bought it 3 years ago. I replaced the pu's with DiMazrio's, and (IMO) is sounds ok. The tuners now need replaced, but other than that...not bad at all. If I recall, I only paid:$175.00 (US). I cannot really afford a real pricey guitar, and not sure if I even want one. I'm thinking about buying something cheaper, and adding upgrades as needed, and as I can afford them.
I think Marcus using cheaper guitars, and does a lot of upgrades...right? He seems to be doing great with this.
I'm thinking as long as the guitar sounds good, and stays in tune..what else do we really need the guitar to do. I guess I'm looking at the guitar as a tool, and not a piece of art.
Please let me know what you all think.

--------------------
[font="Tahoma"][/font][size="4"][/size][color="#008000"][/color]GuitarMonkey

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
post Apr 29 2009, 01:32 AM
Post #26

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 2.164

You can't upgrade the wood a guitar is made out of!

Sure you can replace every cheap piece of hardware but that's just there to recreate the guitar's tone through an amplifier. The diffrence between cheap wood and pricey, high quality wood is huge.

I had the real life example in my hands: My Gibson Les Paul Standard and my friends Epiphone Les Paul standard - left aside the diffrence in built quality and hardware, the gap between both guitars was huge!!
When played dry (without an amp), the epiphone sounds flat, while my Gibson is as loud as an accoustic guitar and sounds great. Both guitars are built equally but the diffrence in wood quality makes the guitar what it is. My guitar sustains longer, sounds fatter, weighs more -.- but it just sounds better (both guitars have the same pickups)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
post Apr 29 2009, 07:43 AM
Post #27

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.927

Good points there Zakk!

The louder the guitar is when played dry, the better it will sound when plugged in. I've heard several luthiers say that.

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
ballistic31
post Apr 29 2009, 07:53 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 2.218

just to add to this my main guitar i play is my 1980 honer body guitar lots of wood putty and bondy filling in extra pickup holes i didnt need. it has a cheep ibanez maple neck on it.......I love the thing plays way better than my more expensive gutiars i have......I agree with marcus a great guitar need time to settle in lol thats my 2 cents worth.

--------------------
[size=3][b]

+Quote Post
wrk
post Apr 29 2009, 08:45 AM
Post #29

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 723

I like cheap guitars, because there i have no hesitations to take out my tools and try to adjust everything to my liking... reshape wood parts like the backside of the neck or remover other corners. Not sure if i would easily touch a more expensive guitar that way smile.gif. Strat type guitars have a lot potential to be turned in a really good guitar as all the mechanics are so simple.

A few months ago i bought my first guitar of a bit better quality and the main difference i noticed is, that intonation on higher frets is somehow less fragile.

QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ Apr 28 2009, 06:05 PM) *
I've re-fretted a whole neck once... it was not easy, but in the end it turned out great! Only costed about 5 usd, or something like that... rolleyes.gif

I changed frets recently on one of my guitars as well and it's true ... not easy and awful a lot of work!! It turned out great as well, but i will think twice to do it again laugh.gif. Scalloping is easy and way more fun in comparison ..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Apr 30 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #30

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

It all comes down to individual instruments. You have to test each guitar you want to buy...I haven't found any really cheap basses to compare in any way of playability , comfort, workmanship ,and sound to some higher end models...Though I found an intermediate price range guitar to be pro quality and sound! Also I have found huge differences in sound and playability among higher end basses which doesn't justify price difference. Also cheaper of higher end models often sounded better to me. Gennerally there is a difference between cheap and expensive guitar, and its just natural... If you want higher quality wood and more precise work + good parts (pickups etc) you have to invest some money...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post Nov 4 2010, 11:48 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 11.477

you guys going probly say that i am deaf, but last week i tried a Fender Deluxe...and i most say i prefere 100x my Ephiphone SG than that Fender huh.gif
yah sure i a highest price instrument is most of the time better in qual/sound/etc, etc.
But i found that very relative, cuz it really depends of the person that is playing it.
also i think is just stupid being worry about it..like once a wise guitarist said.."get your own voice, and stop wasting time with useless things" rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 4 2010, 11:49 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
post Nov 5 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #32

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 2.164

Well your SG is a totally diffrent instrument compared to a strat! They sound diffrent so you can't say that the fender sounds better than the epiphone; however I am 100% sure that a Gibson SG will sound better than your Epi SG!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
emirb
post Nov 5 2010, 12:38 AM
Post #33

Experienced Tone Guru

Member No.: 10.457

Just a quick comment on the first (or second) comment:
"Why is Gibson, PRS, Prestige Ibanez, or Fender able to sell these high-priced guitars if the value you get out of your dollar did not equal the value of the instrument? "

Because they can. It's as simple as that. If fender for instance would raise the price on their deluxes for $200 people would still buy them. Also if they chop off those $200 same thing.

One of my absolutely best and favourite guitars is still japanese squier. damn fine guitar! my tele (usa deluxe) is also really a piece of instrument but not AT ALL like three times better than squier. This is regarding playability, action, tune-wise etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
post Nov 5 2010, 01:57 PM
Post #34

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 4 2010, 11:48 PM) *
you guys going probly say that i am deaf, but last week i tried a Fender Deluxe...and i most say i prefere 100x my Ephiphone SG than that Fender huh.gif

Just my 2 cents, I have both an Epi SG and a Fender American Deluxe, and as much as I like the Epiphone, the Fender is a much better instrument in every possible way. Sound, quality, finish, balance, weight... it's on another league.

As Zakk said comparing an SG with a Strat is hard as they are so different.

I happen to own a Gibson SG as well, and this is where a comparation with the EPi is more suitable. Again, the Gibson is so much better in every possible way, but I will mention the two which are most important: balance and pickups. The Epiphone is not well balanced. It's neck heavy, when I play it I have to keep it from falling, it doesn't "sit" on my lap without touching it like the Gibson does (and teh strat too, and even better). As for the pickups on the Epi, they are a "toy" compared to real, powerful humbuckers.

These are my opinions on these guitars based on a few years playing them through a tube amd with stomps, and also PODs and multi-effect units.

Epiphone SG is a killer guitar for its price. But it's far away from the real deal, obviously.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
newguyatgmc
post Nov 6 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 7.370

parker p44 pro.....600$

extremely versatile
piezo....
active seymour duncan pickups
and beautiful tone....sound wise it is better than most of the other guitar worth $1500 bucks.

Definitely worth a try....

If you are really serious, anything below 300$ is a waste.....except for some Ibanez models.....

Gibsons are good..but I just cannot make up my mind...so many models...so many different prices....only for the les paul model...way too confusing.....

But, I agree that 600 to 700 is a range were guitar models take leap in the quality...

This post has been edited by newguyatgmc: Nov 6 2010, 07:14 PM

+Quote Post
Fran
post Nov 6 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #36

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

QUOTE (newguyatgmc @ Nov 6 2010, 07:04 PM) *
Gibsons are good..but I just cannot make up my mind...so many models...so many different prices....only for the les paul model...way too confusing.....

I'm no Gibson expert by no means, but I'll narrow it down:

Gibson LP Studio - Great guitar, around 1100 €
Gibson LP Standard - Again great, it has body & neck binding and it's supposed to be even better, around 2000 €
Gibson LP Custom - They say this is the greatest possible LP, possibly because of the awesome wood they use to make it.

There are others, like classic model which is similar to standard, and the supreme models, which are similar to the custom. And there are "faded" models, which are usually a bit cheaper than the Studio, and have a natural finish to them, because they do not have a nitro finish.

Just a simple way to tell them apart, I'm sure there are loads of extra details I didn't mention but this should do for starters smile.gif
Prices vary widely depending on finish, years etc.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post Nov 8 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 11.477

QUOTE (Fran @ Nov 5 2010, 12:57 PM) *
Just my 2 cents, I have both an Epi SG and a Fender American Deluxe, and as much as I like the Epiphone, the Fender is a much better instrument in every possible way. Sound, quality, finish, balance, weight... it's on another league.

As Zakk said comparing an SG with a Strat is hard as they are so different.

I happen to own a Gibson SG as well, and this is where a comparation with the EPi is more suitable. Again, the Gibson is so much better in every possible way, but I will mention the two which are most important: balance and pickups. The Epiphone is not well balanced. It's neck heavy, when I play it I have to keep it from falling, it doesn't "sit" on my lap without touching it like the Gibson does (and teh strat too, and even better). As for the pickups on the Epi, they are a "toy" compared to real, powerful humbuckers.

These are my opinions on these guitars based on a few years playing them through a tube amd with stomps, and also PODs and multi-effect units.

Epiphone SG is a killer guitar for its price. But it's far away from the real deal, obviously.

yah xD what i real meant was the body of fender !! man i don't know it just dont fit me and i dont feel comfortable playing it

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Captain Insaino
post Nov 8 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 11.081

i HAVE A HIGH DOLLAR CUSTOM CARVIN GUITAR OVER $2000, THEN i HAVE A 79 FENDER STRAT $1500, AND A HOME BUILD FRANKEN FENDER, AND i GO FOR THE FRANKEN FENDER EVERY TIME. BUILD IT FOR ABOUT $700 CUSTOM NECK, FRETS, PICKUPS AND WIRING. IT PLAYS AND SOUNDS BETTER THAN BOTH OF THE OTHERS... lOOKS KIND OF FUNNY CAUSE OF ALL THE MISS MATCHED PARTS BUT IT SHURE OUT SHINES ANYTHING i HAVE PLAYED AT THE LOCAL GUITAR SHOP....

iF ITS GOOD TO YOU AND MAKES YOU WANT TO PLAY IT THEN ITS A GREAT GUITAR....

--------------------
If you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all

+Quote Post
ztevie
post Nov 13 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #39

Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 4.557

QUOTE (Captain Insaino @ Nov 8 2010, 07:20 PM) *
i HAVE A HIGH DOLLAR CUSTOM CARVIN GUITAR OVER $2000, THEN i HAVE A 79 FENDER STRAT $1500, AND A HOME BUILD FRANKEN FENDER, AND i GO FOR THE FRANKEN FENDER EVERY TIME. BUILD IT FOR ABOUT $700 CUSTOM NECK, FRETS, PICKUPS AND WIRING. IT PLAYS AND SOUNDS BETTER THAN BOTH OF THE OTHERS... lOOKS KIND OF FUNNY CAUSE OF ALL THE MISS MATCHED PARTS BUT IT SHURE OUT SHINES ANYTHING i HAVE PLAYED AT THE LOCAL GUITAR SHOP....

iF ITS GOOD TO YOU AND MAKES YOU WANT TO PLAY IT THEN ITS A GREAT GUITAR....

I HEAR YOU! AND I AGREE!! biggrin.gif

I have had a few guitars through the years, and the one that I play the most, that never let me down is the cheapest. A Peavey Vandenberg that used would cost a couple of hundred bucks... If you can find one.

When I bought an acoustic, I went around shops and tried out everything. I had a price limit of about $2000, but ended up with a Yamaha for about 1000... It just felt best for me and was a quality build from scratch. Some of the more expensive guitars had flaws which shouldn't exist for that money. For example sharp fret ends.....

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master , Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* ESP Eclipse CTM1 , Bridge EMG 81, Neck EMG 60
* Peavey Vandenberg 2nd Edition , Bridge Tom Anderson HN3, Neck DiMarzio Chopper
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars , Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 07:49 PM