3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Need Some Advices From Cat Owners:), I am thinking about having one:)
Jakub Luptovec
post May 4 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #21

Learning Tone Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.318

QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 4 2009, 03:10 PM) *
We've brought up cats from birth and also adopted them as kittens/young adults. Bringing them up from birth takes a lot of time and care. You may find it more rewarding to have them as kittens after they've been weened off their mother - when they're about 8 weeks old.

Thats what was my plan - to let them be weened by their mother and then take them. What sort of care do they need after that?

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AlexLion
post May 4 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #22

GMC:er

Member No.: 5.926

They able to train of course if you willing spent time on them ( circus cats are usual cats just trained alot). I think all can be trained\achieved in this world if you put your time, mind and soul to it smile.gif
My cats easily recognize when I`m or other family member call them and usually they run to see why someone calling them (especcially if you call them from kitchen biggrin.gif ). Well I think you could train them some simple commands without much effort (I didn`t tried myself ), but they are not so loyal as dogs, so you must expect that they just don`t want to "come here" or something.

THat dude seems a bit rough to them =|

This post has been edited by AlexLion: May 4 2009, 02:32 PM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post May 4 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #23

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

Yes I'd agree with Alex - cats tend to be intelligent and so are trainable. However they also tend to be very independent so training may take a bit of effort.

Kittens need more care as it's sort of like caring for a toddler. They need to be fed more often - depending on their age - and have more food intolerances than an adult cat. They'll need to be kept in doors 24/7 for quite a while until they know where they live, have developed their immune systems and are able to run and hide from other animals. In essence you take the place of the mother cat and need to feed, nurture and keep them safe.

Some general pointers that may help are:

Always make sure that they have clean water ready to drink and clean their food bowl after each meal.

Provide a dark,dry place that they can sleep and where they feel safe. They may not want to sleep in the place where you choose btw so you may have to move their bed/basket to their safe place. The bed/basket needs to be warm, dry and draught free - kittens can get a chill/cold quite easily.

Kittens often get stuck behind furniture when they run to hide but do let them explore just make sure the area is safe - no sharp or dangerous things lying about. be prepared to move furniture - I've had to unbolt and remove supposedly built in ovens and fridges to get at 'stuck' kittens before. A frightened kitten will try to get away and may scratch and bite - it may be better to let it escape and hide rather than grab it (unless it's trying to get out of the house too soon).

Be prepared to spend lots of time looking after and playing with the kitten.

As soon as you can take the kitten to the vet to be neutered and vaccinated.

You'll need to groom it with a suitable comb or brush - you can rain a kitten to accept a bath as well but use kitten/cat friendly detergents/shampoos.

If you want to put a collar on your kitten make sure its the sort that will break easily if it gets caught so that the cat doesn't get strangled.

Be gentle. It's very easy to hurt a kitten and even break a bone. When you pick it up make sure you support it properly.

From experience kittens sometimes fall when they're exploring and can hurt themselves - if it get's up too high you need to get it down. BTW cats do land on their feet when they fall but they can hurt themselves as their chins can bang in to the floor really hard.

Some things you may want to buy:

A food and a water bowl.

A bed/basket

A couple of cat toys.

A suitable brush/comb.

A good carry box.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
AlexLion
post May 4 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #24

Wow now that`s a lot of info Tony and it`s very true smile.gif

btw why someone would want to put a collar on a kitten?! ohmy.gif
Ok if it`s adult cat and you want to go with him outside(of course if cat wants outside), but they hate collars (or anything you try to put on them, they want immediately to get it off) and especcially they hate when you trying to get them where they don`t want to go. I tried once and saw that this is useless and unenjoyable to a cat, so I forgot about that smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
post May 4 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #25

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.387

QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ May 4 2009, 01:40 PM) *
Dejan: After reading Fkalichs, Artemus's and AxelLion's stories, I wonder if there is any reason why NOT to have a cat:) And those photos are sooo cute:)

I was also talking to one (extra hot:) ) girl in my class today, who has cats and she seemed to like the idea of me getting cat:D she also told me that their "natural calling" needs are kinda instinctive in terms of keeping things clean:)

A little heartbreak story
But to be honest with you guys, my main reason is, my girlfriend just left me after 4 years of relationship and I am kinda stricken by it and I dont even want another one - I just dont trust them anymore. I was trying to give her everything.. so many time and effort... for nothing. I just dont want to go thru this again
and this is from where the pet part is comming..

I feel alone and in need of someone I can care for and watch over. Someone to dedicate my time to, someone to await me, when I come home. Is it a good reason?

I asked you that question to see your reason, and in a way to make you question yourself why do you want to have a cat and are you able to take care for it. I have a cat and a dog living with me in my apartment, and for me they are not pets anymore, they are part of my family and I commited myself to them, and organize my life that way. smile.gif

I cannot judge your reason, if you will provide a good home for any animal it would be great, but would not like if that cat gets kicked out if it ruins some furniture, or if you find a girlfrend that do not like cats, if you know what I mean smile.gif

And the main difference between cats and dogs, dogs will adore you even if you treat them bad, cats are different, you have to earn their love smile.gif

On the link I gave you in the previous post there are some info that can be of help to decide whether to adopt or not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post May 4 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

QUOTE (AlexLion @ May 4 2009, 02:23 PM) *
btw why someone would want to put a collar on a kitten?! ohmy.gif
Ok if it`s adult cat and you want to go with him outside(of course if cat wants outside), but they hate collars (or anything you try to put on them, they want immediately to get it off) and especcially they hate when you trying to get them where they don`t want to go. I tried once and saw that this is useless and unenjoyable to a cat, so I forgot about that smile.gif

Totally agree Alex but I've seen it done lots of times. I know one person who puts a collar on her kittens and the collar has a bell which she thinks is cute. The kitten hates it and has hurt its claws trying to get the collar off but still the woman won't remove it sad.gif .

We've never put collars on any of our cats or kittens - and now that you can microchip a kitten well is there really any need?

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
fkalich
post May 4 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ May 4 2009, 08:10 AM) *
I would prefere a young one too (just for the feeling of being their parent:)) but I heard, they are hard to train (respectively unable to train, in contrary to dogs) and those in shelter are taugh that already. I also want to name it myself:D Iscat able to recognize its name as dog? and recognize some simple commands as "come here" etc?

they grow up fast, really. And I think sometimes the ones that have had a hard time and ended up in a shelter, really appreciate you more. I know the 2 I got at 8 weeks, and the 3 that were their babies, are different from my 3 strays. Really I love them all, but the strays I think appreciate more what they get, the others expect it, they are more spoiled, they have never known what it was to suffer from cold, hunger, etc.

Cats won't have bad behavior from living in a shelter. Really. And all 8 of mine use the litter box fine. So long as a cat is neutered, it should not be a problem, certainly not after you have had it just a little while, and it feels safe and secure.
Just adopt one, and then take it to a vet for shots. It will be fine. You can talk the the shelter about possible problems, and I am sure they will give you some assurance. We have a great shelter here, they never kill animals. The community supports them very well. They even provide some people with money to get the animal neutered, when the person can't afford it. That is important, a pet that has not been fixed is a real potential problem. You don't do them a favor by not neutering them. I got Buddy neutered, I thought in time. But I did not realize that the male cat can still impregnate the female for several days after castration, they still have a supply left in their tubes. That is what happened to me. The day after he got fixed, I came home from work, and he was mounted on her. I figured "can't do anything". I even snapped a picture. Then about 6 weeks later I went out of town for 4 days and left a lot of food, and came back and thought "gee, you sure look fatter Sweetie". And then I noticed her nipples were standing out. That is when I found out that I should have kept Buddy away from her for several days after he was castrated.

QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 4 2009, 09:37 AM) *
Totally agree Alex but I've seen it done lots of times. I know one person who puts a collar on her kittens and the collar has a bell which she thinks is cute. The kitten hates it and has hurt its claws trying to get the collar off but still the woman won't remove it sad.gif .

We've never put collars on any of our cats or kittens - and now that you can microchip a kitten well is there really any need?

I put a color on mine, with a tag, because I think there is more chance that some pscyho might harm a cat without a collar. They are breakaway colors. I would not put one on a kitten. But all my cats go out at least a little.

QUOTE (Dejan Farkas @ May 4 2009, 09:32 AM) *
And the main difference between cats and dogs, dogs will adore you even if you treat them bad, cats are different, you have to earn their love smile.gif

I don't know about that on dogs. Dogs cause you problems when you mistreat them. They may still be attached to you, but they may also cause you problems. I am the only one of my brothers and sisters, that has a dog that listens, that has not bad issues. They all had dogs with behavior problems. Sure they loved them, but they loved peeing in the house too. Mine would explode before he did that. I also like having a dog that would never bite anyone, I raised him special, to make sure he had none of that in him. He will bark at night if anyone come around the house. That is enough, I don't want a dog that might bite someone. Mine does not know what mean is. That is the kind of dog I wanted. You have to do certain things to get a dog to be that way, and you have to do these things when they are puppies.

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 4 2009, 04:01 PM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post May 4 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

One of our most affectionate cats, Blackie, was a stray as well fkalich. She was always just grateful when we fed her. When Blackie first arrived at ours she was pregnant and she gave birth two nights after - this was when she was maybe about 9 months old.

Our vet told us that Hermita was pregnant some time ago. I said that she was too young (she was 4 months old) and the vet x-rayed her to check. Outcome was, 'Sorry she's not pregnant just fat'. Female domesticated cats however need to be neutered as early as possible @ 6 months. Leave longer and expect kittens.

Our other stray - Boca - spent months where he'd hide when we put food down for him. He'd wait until we left before he'd come and eat as he just didn't trust humans at all. It took a long time, over a year, before he came to trust us. Sadly Boca died just over a year ago from poison. I spent 48 hours injecting him with vitamin k, hydrating him and force-feeding him GAC every 4 hours but his liver was shot and his heart couldn't pump the thickened blood sad.gif .

Around here very few cats are neutered as they are 'farm cats' - they're semi-domesticated cats kept to keep down vermin. Farm cats here tend to have a very hard and a very short life. The logic is that the population number self-regulates ohmy.gif . May be rationale but to me it's not reasonable.

All of our cats we regard as domesticated so we keep ours neutered.

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 4 2009, 02:58 PM) *
I put a color on mine, with a tag, because I think there is more chance that some pscyho might harm a cat without a collar. They are breakaway colors. I would not put one on a kitten. But all my cats go out at least a little.

Yes - I think that's a good enough reason as there are some sad people who think it's ok to hurt a stray.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
post May 4 2009, 05:00 PM
Post #29

Learning Tone Guru

QUOTE (Dejan Farkas @ May 4 2009, 04:32 PM) *
I cannot judge your reason, if you will provide a good home for any animal it would be great, but would not like if that cat gets kicked out if it ruins some furniture, or if you find a girlfrend that do not like cats, if you know what I mean smile.gif

:-O they exist? maybe allergic girlfriend, but then she will have to get resistant to it:D I also doubt, that I would like girl, that hates cats - I sort of like girls with that cats grace and cuteness, so she would most probably feel her as her blood biggrin.gif But yes, I can see where you are comming from - thats why I opened this thread and why I am trying to gather as much info as I can. You guys are such a huge help.. all of your posts are really informative and inspirative as well.

Just to sum it up, is it really such a huge effort, to raise a kitten? I need to count the pros and cons and see what will be better for the animal. I guess I'll be happy with adult cat as well (but those kittens are just sooo cute smile.gif), but first of all, I want to have a happy, healthy cat to which I will be able to provide all it needs

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: May 4 2009, 05:02 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
AlexLion
post May 4 2009, 06:04 PM
Post #30

I think you could get 3-4 weeks old kitten smile.gif From that period they start to eat not only milk mix, but also special food for kittens (wet, lol, not that dry pieces) and (ok here I used translator so something maybe horribly wrong :\ ) low-fat cottage cheese, low-fat beef, fish and egg yolk. And from that period you don`t need to feed them over night anymore. Once in 4 hours approximately will be good. And usually when kitten is hungry he start to mew and pretty loud smile.gif

After all it`s not that big job to nurture a kitten, and it`s much more enjoyable and rewardable(?!) when he grows up a bit. Ok if you take 3-5 days old kitten, it`s completely another story.

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
post May 4 2009, 08:42 PM
Post #31

Learning Tone Guru

Well, I guess I have all the infos I need to make the right choice:) My mother just agreed, I am allowed to get a kitten as my 19th birthday gift:) It will take a cca six weeks from now since I will get it:) Will post pictures ASAP. I am pretty sure, I will have a happy birthday this year;)

Just a last tip - him or her?smile.gif

To Tonymiro, AlexLion, Fkalich, Canis, Sted, Facjata, Dejan and Artemus - Huuuge thanks guys:) You showed once more, GMC is the coolest place to be smile.gif

(sorry if I forgot anyone:) wasnt my intention wink.gif )

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: May 4 2009, 08:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Canis
post May 4 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #32

Learning Rock Star
Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 3.108

Np ^^

In my opinion, I like female cats better. Maybe it's just coinsidence, but the female ones I've come across seem less agressive tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
post May 4 2009, 09:04 PM
Post #33

I agree GMC members are so helpful biggrin.gif
As I observed male species usually are more active, and more willing to play ( and destroy something biggrin.gif ), also they run like mad across the house when they bored and willing to get some attention smile.gif Female are more calm and not so unpredictable. Well it`s in general of course.

Canis of course they are less agressive. Any male species are agressive by it`s nature ( human`s too) biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: May 4 2009, 09:05 PM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post May 4 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #34

Group Icon

Nice one Jakub and look forward to seeing the pics (I'll post some of our cats when I can).

Female cats, least in my experience, are easier, tend to stay closer to home then males and are less aggressive like Canus says. Cats though often tend to chose their owners - so you could go to the cat sanctuary intending to get a queen and come away with a tom smile.gif .

You can always do what my wife does and get several - she starts by saying , 'We'll get only one cat!' then she sees them and goes, 'They're so cute I want them all!!!' biggrin.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
post May 4 2009, 09:48 PM
Post #35

Learning Tone Guru

Yes, I can see it happen, that first I will have my own cat, then my mother will want one for herself, then one, which we will shaer together.. and then one more, so they are two pairs... biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
post May 4 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #36

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 3.084

i have one but you need a special food and special sand that's would be more healthy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
post May 4 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 6.124

QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ May 3 2009, 12:17 PM) *
Angry note:
my best friend has dog, and I was about to kill it a few times - we were drinking at his place one day, and at 4:00 am we were kinda... sleepy tongue.gif lying on beds, chilling off, falling asleep... and that vile creature started barking.. I almost wet myself from that shock. Then he stopped for a while... and then started again.. i wanted to throw him out of balcony, but my friend stopped me... sad.gif

well if the cat gets on your angry side,

you would have to thow it off the balcony 9 times before shes dead hahaha

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
besip
post May 4 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 2.798

skus tuhle rasu tahle vypada dobre biggrin.gif a podle mne neni zhulena jen se proste povedlo super video

{try that one}
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMyvDknDexU

take easy cool.gif

This post has been edited by besip: May 5 2009, 04:14 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
post May 5 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #39

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.387

QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ May 4 2009, 09:42 PM) *
Just a last tip - him or her?smile.gif

I don't have any experience with female cats, but for males it is recommended to neuter before their hormones start to work, I did mine when was 4 months old. The main reasons for that are as follows, male cats often mark their teritories by urinating on walls and furniture (if it happens, neutering will not be of help anymore, so it had to be done in advance), then male cats want to escape to find their mates. My cat is now almost 2 years old, and I don't see any negative effects of neutering smile.gif

You're welcome Jakub, I am sure you will have additional questions once you got the cat in, we'll all be happy to help you smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
post May 5 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (besip @ May 5 2009, 01:37 AM) *
skus tuhle rasu tahle vypada dobre biggrin.gif a podle mne neni zhulena jen se proste povedlo super video

{try that one}
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMyvDknDexU

take easy cool.gif

What that people done to him??!! laugh.gif

Cats are so funny smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2017 - 07:18 PM