Passing Some Personal Advice/point Of View On Guitar Pick Ups
Marc_Maiden
May 4 2009, 04:41 AM
GMC:er
hello my friends!

i would like to share some personal information and tastes i have come to find when selecting and or playing with pick ups!

When I started guitar, I was of course, into heavy music like Iron Maiden and such. But I was also new at guitar, and did not know much about pick ups. I did my own research, and saw what the pros played, and i just picked the ones they used.

the first pair I bought in my early days was a Dimarzio Super distortion for the bridge, and PAF pro in the neck. (this is what Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden had used) I thought it sounded really cool! I was a happy metal playing kid, hated by the neighbors, and occasionally my family smile.gif anyways, because I did not know much about sound (how it works, what frequencies do ETC) the super distortion ended up being too much for me, and the PAF pro too little.

Then, a few years later, I was starting to get into "tone" meaning I decided try out other pick ups, and came across an idea where id go to guitar center, buy a pair of pick ups, try them, then return them.... (it works smile.gif )

heres what ive had:
Bridge: (D for Dimarzio, S for Seymours, GF for GFS, GS for Gibson)
D evolution
D super distortion
S JB
GS USA flying V pick ups
GF crunchy rails
GF power rails

Neck:
S 59
D evo
D PAF pro
GS USA flying V
GF Crunchy Rails
GF power rails

Ive also playing EMGs, and other higher output pick ups.

so after trying all those, and using the knowledge about tone and sound that I have now,
I decided that medium-low output is the way to go. no matter where you go, what forum, what store, there will always be the famous question "what pick up is good for metal"

the answer: ANY PICK UP

metal can be played even on a telecaster : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvKgb4QmGSs...feature=related

what happens when you get really high out put pick ups? you start to lose tone! To this day i still dont know why "higher" out put pick ups are preferred. maybe someone here can give me insight as to what makes a high output pick up better for metal?

is it because it gives you a boost in gain? is it because they are hotter? well look:

as I said, more output in your pick ups = less tone
however:

gain can come from your amp if you so need it,
if you need something to cut through the band, tweak your eq, that is one of the main reasons why its there

so my advice of the day:

leave the gain to your amps/pedals, and keep your pick ups for tone! that is what sends your tone to the amp which amplifies it a different way (or models it then amplifies it)

either way,

use your amp for gain,

your fingers AND TONE/VOLUME knob for dynamics, and it help increase tone, many people dont use them enough!!!!!

your heart to create the mood

and remember:

Metal/jazz/rock/classical.... they are all a type of music, not a guitar, not a pick up, not an accessory.

the sound comes from how you play.

right now I currently have in my main guitar:

D PAF pro in the bridge
D blues bucker in the neck

i get a really warm, smooth sound with the PAF pro, and cleans almost sound like a neck pick up would! with gains, i can really awesome sounds and tones using my amps eq

the blues bucker is essentially a single coil that has a "dummy" coil to preserve a "stratish" tone. I can do amazing blues sounds with the volume knob turned down, and i can do shred noodly stuffs with that and the gain of my amp turned up!

anyways, I encourage you to bring your own views and beliefs here! tell me what you think!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sted
May 4 2009, 07:52 AM
Learning Rock Star
Cool post mate!

I am completely with you on this, the high output pup obsession is utter nonsense, you are limiting your scope for tone so much that really your axe turns into a one trick metal show pony! It completely winds me up the way guitar companies exploit metal fans with some of the worst made gimmick ridden guitars ive ever seen.

If you buy a quality instrument then chances are you will have quality electronics in it, if you are heavily into the subtlties of tone then by all means investigate different pick ups, chances ae you will prefer a lower output pickup rather than a higher output one. I watched gary moore on friday night and i dont think he even uses an effect pedal ,all his tone is Les Paul, Marshall, fingers! The tone he gets is simply outstanding, why? Because he can play! not because he has dimarzio-funktastic-badger-death-super pups in his guitar.

Look at Jeff beck, he never uses pedals, just a strat and a marshall, he is widely acknowleged as one of the best players ever, the way he manipulates the volume, tone and whammy is unbeleivable, he doesnt even use a pick anymore!

I suppose my point is this, just stop farting about with gimmicks and play! cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Xuestor
May 4 2009, 05:25 PM
I prefer low output pickups aswell, It let's the guitar shine through rather than the pickup... As for metal, a important thing is to have a tight bass punch, which might be why people prefer hotter pickups for this, as they tend to have a much tighter bass-sound. low output and vintage pickups are rather spungey and loose.

This post has been edited by Xuestor: May 4 2009, 05:26 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
May 4 2009, 06:12 PM
I have a pair of Seymour Duncan blackouts in my jackson, and i think they sound really nice, not just for metal, but also for jazz and blues. Remember, Tone is subjective, The myth that high output pickups kill tone is just nonsense in my opinion.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
May 4 2009, 07:08 PM
i have to agree with you that tone is suggestive,
maybe you are right,

i def like blackouts over emgs, they have a lot more life for sure

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Frederik
May 4 2009, 07:19 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks biggrin.gif gotta get myself a decent guitar soon. though my tone is surprisingly smooth on this below 100$ washburn the sustain is no where to be found

-Frederik

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
May 4 2009, 07:27 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks for this post it really is helpful. As I am looking at buying a new Schecter C-1 ATX FR I was also thinging of saving up money and going all out on the best pickups. I think the whole "high output" pickups thing is just a chleche(I know I didnt spell that write), with metal guitarists. I'm going to actually use this advice when trying out some pickups. How do you try out pickups at guitar stores? Is it just playing with a guitar that has the ones you want to look at or what.

Thanks Marc.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
May 4 2009, 07:46 PM
yes, i try to find guitars with the pick ups i want to try in them,

the problem with that is you get a lot of generic stuff like the seymour duncan jb/59 combo or EMGs 81/85

this website: guitarfetish.com has many good quality pick ups for relativley less expensive than others, ive used them before...they have something for everyone, including colors etc..

check out these sound clips: www.myspace.com/projfate

most were recorded with the GFS crunchy/power rails which i loved a lot

dimarzio.com has a really cool feature which helps you find what you are looking for, also they tell you what players play what so if you are trying to emulate a sound, that helps as well and they have sound clips and such

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 4 2009, 09:50 PM
Instructor
Nicely explained Marc, cheers. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
May 4 2009, 10:06 PM
QUOTE (Frederik @ May 4 2009, 11:19 AM) *
Thanks biggrin.gif gotta get myself a decent guitar soon. though my tone is surprisingly smooth on this below 100$ washburn the sustain is no where to be found

-Frederik

sustain can come from many things other than pick ups

your wood is one,
your string gauge,
your type of bridge
the way your tuners are layed out (strat style or gibson style
your amp

but of course, your pick ups do help in this one

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 4 2009, 11:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
High output does not kill your tone, it compresses the signal so you have to dial back the gain of your amp to get the real tone out of your pickups...

I prefere using high output pickups to get the amount of gain I need out of my Marshall instead of using a lower output pickup and an additional overdrive pedal to get your tone. If your amp is a high gain amp then you won't need a high output pickup, if you already have one then just dial back the gain so that the tone won't get killed in the distortion.

Sure lower output pickups have more dynamics, they clean up better and you can get all the characteristics of your guitars tone but on the other hand those pickups aren't really tight in their response, they get really muddy when you are downtuning your guitar and they get fuzzy and stingy when they are driven too hard.
It also is a tonewood question; a low output pickup just doesn't cut through thick mahagony body guitars (>you loose your heights)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
May 4 2009, 11:24 PM
cool response zak

i see where you are at, makes sense from that point of view, especially for down tuning! and even cutting through! i agree though, mahogany def needs some higher output pick ups to get through that dense wood

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 5 2009, 12:19 AM
Instructor
Nice topic Marc, thanks for sharing the experiences! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Aug 5 2010, 02:47 PM
Learning Roadie
Cool Topic .. Do you think that the Gfs Crunchy Pats would be good for a vintage v 100 lemon drop ???

Here are the specs of the guitar :

Vintage® V100 ICON Series
Body: Mahogany
Top: V100CS Flame Maple
Neck: Mahogany – Set Neck
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Scale: 24.75"/ 628mm
Frets: 22
Neck Inlays: Pearloid Crown
Tuners: Wilkinson® Deluxe WJ01 Chrome
Bridge: Tune-O-Matic
Pickups: Wilkinson® Double Coil x 2 (N) MWVC (B)MWVC
Hardware: Chrome
Controls: 2 x Volume/ 2 x Tone/ 3-Way Toggle

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Aug 5 2010, 02:48 PM

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 6 2010, 07:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
Nice Necro bump dude! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 6 2010, 08:57 PM
Agree. Focus should be on fingers for most of us, other stuff can just be distractions. If I ever feel that I play with artistry, I will worry more about something like pickups. But not important at this time. You can get just fine tone with the pickups that come with a good guitar.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 6 2010, 09:03 PM

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Aug 7 2010, 05:05 PM
when I used Crunchy Pats, I used them in a mahogany bodied guitar...let me find my old music myspace, you can hear a sample of them in a recording (not a good one, one thats is like 4 years old haha)

listen to desert rose: http://www.myspace.com/projfate

QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ Aug 5 2010, 06:47 AM) *
Cool Topic .. Do you think that the Gfs Crunchy Pats would be good for a vintage v 100 lemon drop ???

Here are the specs of the guitar :

Vintage® V100 ICON Series
Body: Mahogany
Top: V100CS Flame Maple
Neck: Mahogany – Set Neck
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Scale: 24.75"/ 628mm
Frets: 22
Neck Inlays: Pearloid Crown
Tuners: Wilkinson® Deluxe WJ01 Chrome
Bridge: Tune-O-Matic
Pickups: Wilkinson® Double Coil x 2 (N) MWVC (B)MWVC
Hardware: Chrome
Controls: 2 x Volume/ 2 x Tone/ 3-Way Toggle

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Aug 7 2010, 06:54 PM
Learning Roadie
It sounded Cool to me smile.gif but I think I will go for the Poboy´s Alnico pro II

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 10 2010, 06:53 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
So why do people choose high output pickups such as EMGs? Two words: chugga chugga tongue.gif Metal has alot of palm muting between notes and low output pickups do get somewhat farty. Although I have to agree, low output pickups can do metal, just not as tightly as high output pick ups, as ZakkWylde has said.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:44 AM