Zz Top Sound, how to....
Berglmir
May 8 2009, 04:38 PM
GMC:er
Hi David!

LOVE your ZZ TOP Lesson.
As said in the feedback to your lesson I like the typical sound of this great band - but that´s exactly my question:
How do you achieve that with settings (I use guitar rig 3) and/or playing technique??

I have noticed that your lesson is quite free of "harmonics" which I love so much in songs like "My Heads in Mississippi" and "Sleeping Bag". But are they really pinched Harmonics or "just" the way the guitar sounds?!

It´s a bit difficult for me to really point out what I´m meaning, but I think some of you might be able to help me out here?! ;-)

Thanks in advance!!
Cheers
Berglmir

PS. Sorry for the worng forum! huh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Berglmir: May 8 2009, 04:43 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 8 2009, 08:48 PM
Instructor
Hi Berglmir,
You're in luck!
I used Guitar Rig 3 as well and I simply used a preset from there.
Here it is upload in this post for you.
You will need to change the extention to .bnk for it to work. Enjoy!

Attached File  ZZTop.zip ( 6.68K ) Number of downloads: 1652

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Berglmir
May 9 2009, 02:29 PM
Thx very much David!

Unfortunately I can not make the GR3 bank work - I imported it allright but it´s more a less a caption oder header in GR3 without any settings behind it. Would be interessting to know if other people have the same challange.

My main question sort of remains: Do you know if Mr. Gibbons or you yourself in the lesson used pinched harmonics?
In solos in songs like "Sleeping Bag" oder "My Heads in Mississippi" I´m quite sure of it (although they don´t sound like "squealies".)
Highly appreciate any tips/answers! smile.gif

Cheers
Berglmir

This post has been edited by Berglmir: May 13 2009, 06:49 PM

+Quote Post
Toroso
May 9 2009, 04:19 PM
QUOTE (Berglmir @ May 9 2009, 09:29 AM) *
Thx very much David!

Unfortunately I can not make the GR3 bank work - I imported it allright but it´s more a less a caption oder header in GR3 without any settings behind it. Would be interessting to know if other people have the same challange.

My main question sort of remains: Do you know if Mr. Gibbons or you yourself in the lesson used pinched harmonics?
In solos in songs like "Sleeping Bag" oder "My Heads in Mississippi" I´m quite sure of it (although they don´t sound like "squalies".)
Highly appreciate any tips/answers! smile.gif

Cheers
Berglmir

Yes, BG uses pinch extensively. It's ingrained into his style of play. It is rumored that he used to use a Mexican peso for a pick to get those raspy sounding squeals. Try using the fat side of your pick with a little thumb brush. And a dirty amp setting too! smile.gif

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Berglmir
May 9 2009, 07:24 PM
GREAT Info Toroso - thx a lot!
When I have mastered Davids ZZTop Licks I´ll post the results

Cheers muchly!

+Quote Post
rico
May 10 2009, 11:32 AM
i david this is rico, it doesn't work for me windows said dommage file can't open , how do we proced, thanks dav the great

Hi Berglmir,
You're in luck!
I used Guitar Rig 3 as well and I simply used a preset from there.
Here it is upload in this post for you.
You will need to change the extention to .bnk for it to work. Enjoy!

Attached File  ZZTop.zip ( 6.68K ) Number of downloads: 1652

[/quote]

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 10 2009, 06:44 PM
Instructor
Sorry, I'm having trouble uploading a .bnk file on GMC.
I zipped it, unzip and let me know if that works!

Attached File  ZZTop.bnk.zip ( 1.96K ) Number of downloads: 764

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
rico
May 12 2009, 02:55 PM
doesn't work for me

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 13 2009, 06:16 PM
Instructor
Could it be because I am using a Mac?

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Berglmir
May 13 2009, 06:48 PM
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ May 13 2009, 07:16 PM) *
Could it be because I am using a Mac?

YUP - that´s what I though also when I unzipped your last upload. Would be a very rare occasion that something from Mac works for PC (and vice versa of course) wink.gif

Can you upload a screenshot of your settings/effects/amps you use for your ZZ Top Emulation?

Thanks in advance

This post has been edited by Berglmir: May 13 2009, 06:48 PM

+Quote Post
Berglmir
May 14 2009, 07:40 PM
As promised above - here´s my take on Davids lesson:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=27423

Looking forward to your feedback! unsure.gif

Cheers
Berglmir

PS. My recording is awful - I know!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:09 AM