Chromatic Scale, scale notes
thrasher
May 10 2009, 12:43 PM
GMC:er
Hiya all,

Ive been playing guitar for a while now and have a pretty good understanding of the basics. (he say`s). I started off learning the Am penatonic scale and progressed from there. However i only now scale patterns, but i dont know the notes i playing and i feel it would really help me to know where every note is on the fretboard and life would be so much easier i feel. I know the chromatic scale but wondered if anyone had any good tips on a good way to getting to know the notes on the fretboard.

Cheers guys

Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kjutte
May 10 2009, 12:50 PM
QUOTE (thrasher @ May 10 2009, 01:43 PM) *
Hiya all,

Ive been playing guitar for a while now and have a pretty good understanding of the basics. (he say`s). I started off learning the Am penatonic scale and progressed from there. However i only now scale patterns, but i dont know the notes i playing and i feel it would really help me to know where every note is on the fretboard and life would be so much easier i feel. I know the chromatic scale but wondered if anyone had any good tips on a good way to getting to know the notes on the fretboard.

Cheers guys

Chris

You are Absolutely RIGHT!

Patterns are not the same as notes. To different chords, patterns change tonality etc, and this is absolutely vital knowledge eventually. Also, there are so many scales, and we can't go around learning their patterns, so a goal is definitely to think in notes and scale formulaes, not patterns.

Anyway, I am working with the same thing, it's just so damn boring.
I presume you know all the notes of your neck, just not by heart, yes?

the strings:

6 E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E
5 A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A
4 D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D
3 G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G
2 B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B
1 E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E

Good luck, man!

Edit: And to answer your question, lol.
The best way to get acquainted is to know the octave rules, and to know the notes that are on the middle of octaves.
Example:

E: low string 0, A string 7, D string 2, etc.
Also, what helps is knowing what notes is a string below the one you're at.

If you're at a D, you know that the note on the string straight below would be a G (unless you're going from G to B string, as B string is a semitone higher, and it would be G#)

ETC smile.gif good luck again

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by kjutte: May 10 2009, 12:53 PM

+Quote Post
Frederik
May 10 2009, 12:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
There is a donationware called "fretpro" google it and DL
U could also practise arpegios and chord inversions

-Frederik

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 10 2009, 03:35 PM
Instructor
Use dots, remember all notes on dotted frets
and use them as a guide. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 10 2009, 11:16 PM
Instructor
While you practice the scales on slow tempo, pronounce the notes, it will help you to remember them very quickly. When I say quickly I don't mean in a week, it takes time, but it will definitely help. If you know Am pentatonic patter well, learn all the notes from that first since you are most comfortable there..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
May 10 2009, 11:56 PM
Instructor
I think the best way to learn the notes is to learn really really well the C major scale in all positions.

1- Learn the 7 shapes of the C major scale (3 notes per string)
2- While learning them be sure to sing along the pitch and the name of the note so you'll recognice them. This will help you to get an idea of the register and the note names.
3- Then combine all the positions, mix them, play the scale on one string.
4- Once you've done that work you can work the same way with the F# major pentatonic scale so you'll get the notes that you missed while you were practicing the C major (the missed notes are F#, G#, A#, C#, D#, the complement of the C-D-E-F-G-A-B to get the total chromatic scale).

I hope this helps, if you have more questions post them or send me a PM smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
kjutte
May 11 2009, 01:41 AM
Great tip ramiro, I should do that too.

+Quote Post
thrasher
May 11 2009, 08:25 PM
QUOTE (kjutte @ May 11 2009, 01:41 AM) *

Cheers for all the advice guys. Like your idear Muris in using the dots, cheers.
Had a look at that fret pro Frederik and will also use that.
Also like the idear from Ivan.
Cheers for the help and advice all. Think its gonna take time but gotta start somewhere.

+Quote Post
Matt23
May 11 2009, 09:07 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I recommed Fretpro as well as Frederick. It's how I learnt the notes of the fretboard.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 12 2009, 02:45 AM
Instructor
You can use dots like Muris mentioned, but you can also practice ONE NOTE AT THE TIME and learn where octaves are from it on all other strings.
There is only 12 notes, so you can do 3 notes a week and have 12 notes memorized withing a month time !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
May 12 2009, 02:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (kjutte @ May 11 2009, 01:41 AM) *

I'm glad I helped you in anyway biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:20 AM