Getting Sweeping Down
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 11 2009, 12:40 PM
GMC:er
I have been playing sweeping for awhile now and I still cant get the efficient and smooth change in the shapes and even get the sweep's to a point where they sound good.

After I played Alternate Picking for a while there was a just a point where from muscle memory and other things, my hand just took right after it.

After awhile does sweeping every feel more natural and not as foreign as it has thus far for me ?
Getting the muting down with distortion on is just such a pain dry.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bsamn
May 11 2009, 01:08 PM
Yup, dont worry bro, it took me 2 months!, another 1 to 1.5 months for 5 string!
havent tried 6 strings yet though, but right now could not care less about them.

Just stick to bpm you right now at the metronome, and try to increase it even if its just 1 or 2 bpm,
i mean anything is better than nothin right smile.gif

one more thing, just dont give up. no matter what!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
purple hayes
May 11 2009, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
I've been working on sweeping for 20 min. a day for 6 weeks. it's just now beginning to sound like I know what I'm doing. I figure another 6 weeks and I should be doing much better.

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
kjutte
May 11 2009, 02:13 PM
I have probably swept for 1 hour a day for many months, and it's still not muris clean. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Oxac
May 12 2009, 01:32 PM
Just make sure that you've got every motion perfected before trying to synchronize them.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Artemus
May 12 2009, 02:43 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
2/3 years on and I'm still not a proficient sweeper.. Mind you, I'd probably be a bit better if life didn't get in the way of guitar practice though. Yes, sweeping looks easy but because of the necessity for super syncronisation between both hands, a lot of work has to be done before it starts to feel even the slightest bit natural.
I'd estimate this would take a matter of months, at least, but everyone's differenct. As I said, I've been trying for nearly 3 years and I'm still sloppy

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
purple hayes
May 12 2009, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
I'm just glad palm muting didn't take as long as sweeping to get down. ph34r.gif

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
DaniHel
May 12 2009, 03:28 PM
Learning Tone Guru
You don´t really need to be all that focused. I sometimes watch tv, listen to music etc while doing sweeps, tapping and other techniques. Just going through shapes and stuff. Slow of course, so you can create muscle memory then speed will come much easier. That´s how i did for my alternate picking and it´s how it worked for my sweeping. Just noodling around, didn´t really practice any exercise at all.

You just need more "flight hours" with the technique smile.gif go for it!

Also, as a personal tip, at least for me, it helps if i focus on the sound instead of my fingers, if i focus on what i want to hear, every note clean and fluid it will sound much more clean and fluid than doing them while thinking "this finger goes here, then here, then there".

This post has been edited by DaniHel: May 12 2009, 03:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 12 2009, 06:59 PM
Instructor
Like everybody nicely said, sweep (as any other technique) just needs some time. Even if you can play it perfectly, you have to play it for quite some time to really make it feel natural and get a nice warm balanced tone while you play them. Difficult to explain, but your tone will just get more "mellow" and fine tuned as time goes by with sweeps.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
May 12 2009, 09:49 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Well sweeps are a pesky little technique. Wonderfully sounding but still buggy. I've practiced for months on good synchronisation and muting technique to have clean sweeps - only to find out, that at higher speeds, after one longer sweep run above 100 BMP, my left hand dies and is not able to uphlod the tempo. I can sweep pretty well - for pretty short time.. I guess, there is ALWAYS SOME PROBLEM with sweeps. Not clean enough, not fast enough, low endurance... Get used to it biggrin.gif

But to your problem.

Very good thing to do is to create your own sweeps run, that sound good to your ears, so its more fun to practice. I can also recommend the "Loomissweeps" how I call them. They are standart 5 string sweeps, with just added 5th under the root. For example A min arpeggio the Loomis's way:

|--3-| |--3--| |--3--| |--3-| |--3-| |--3-| |--3-| |--3-| --- ---
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
E||--12-8-------------------------8--
B||-------10-------------------10----
G||----------9---------------9--------
D||------------10---------10---------
A||---------------12-7-12------------
E||-----------------------------------

This is kinda good exercise for 5 string minor shape and major and 3 string minor and diminished shape. Sounds cool as hell as well when played at speed:

|--3-| |--3--| |--3--| |--3-| |--3-| |--3-| |--3-| |--3-|
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
E||--12-8-------------------------8-12-8---------8-11-8---------8-|
B||-------10-------------------10--------10---10--------10---10---|
G||----------9---------------9--------------9--------------9------|
D||------------10---------10--------------------------------------|
A||---------------12-7-12-----------------------------------------|
E||---------------------------------------------------------------|

|-3-| |--3--| |--3--| |-3-| |-3-| |--3-|
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S Q
--11-8-----------------------8-11-8----------------||
-------9-------------------9--------9--------------||
---------8---------------8------------8------------||
-----------10---------10----------------10-8-------||
--------------11-6-11------------------------11----||
---------------------------------------------------||

Another note - regarding that muting stuff. Everything above the string you play should be right wrist. everything under should be the finger you are playing with - when you play note, you mute the string right under it with finger flesh. One by one, sweep by sweep, it will start feeling natural and easy:) It did for me and for others as well.. no reason why it shouldt for you.

Or you can go the Gilbert way and just string skip and APick instead of sweeps smile.gif

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: May 12 2009, 10:14 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 13 2009, 03:35 AM
Thanks guys, all this great info swept me off my feet rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

I Will keep at it!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:39 AM