Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your Tone
vampire18
post May 12 2009, 10:18 AM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.741

iv'e been desperately trying to achieve the tone which you got on the canon rock video which is basically the reason i joined gmc because i made such excellent progress with your lesson but i was no where near able to get that song nailed down. now its been a couple of month and i wanted to see how far did i go and i got a pod and im trying to get your tone.

this is what you wrote you used

Cubase SX 3.0 (Daw)

Toontrack Superior (Drums)

Trilogy (Bass)

Waves SSL (Compressor)

Hardware: Guitar:

Jackson SLSMG

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 (OD 2 channel with gain on 90%, bass and treble on high and

mid almost on zero). The amp is connected straight into my soundcard with no

additional processing.

i found the pod equivalent of your jmp 1 and i dont know if you can or how you change channels in the pod but i put the gain to 90 and the bass treble and middle to what you said, i dont know what to do with the presence.
what did you put on you compressor? how much threshold and how much gain? and another thing i noticed at least in 4:11 of the song you can clearly hear delay did you use it all the way or just there cause its almost like you can hear in a couple of places but in others i cant quite hear it (edit: after some hearing and re hearing ive come to the conclusion that you use delay all the way(though my ear is very untrained i might be mistaken) so how many ms feedback and mix should i put?)

im sorry im being such a pain but i have been spending a whole day fiddling with virtual nobs and getting nowhere. of course im not expecting to get your tone with a squire and a multieffect but im not getting anywhere near. any help would be much appreciated.

This post has been edited by vampire18: May 12 2009, 11:07 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
post May 16 2009, 03:17 AM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 4.261

Hia smile.gif
And thanks! It's really nice to hear you've found the lesson so useful! smile.gif

On my JMP i've set the presence to 6 (which is max). Not sure why i havent put that in the description. I'll do that from now on.
I dont use any compressors directly on the guitar-tracks, i just put a compressor on the allaround mix of the song to enhance every instrument, so it's kinda difficult to say what the equivalent settings would be on a direct guitar-compressor.

And you heard right, i did use a delay on the lead-tracks on that lesson.
I use a software delay thats integrated in Cubase (DoubleDelay).
I've set the time to 1/4th of the of the BPM (200bpm in this case) which would according to my calculation be the same as 300 ms delay and the mix is set to 15%.

Hope this helps smile.gif

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: May 16 2009, 03:18 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
thefireball
post May 19 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #3

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 9.801

QUOTE (Trond Vold @ May 15 2009, 09:17 PM) *
Hia smile.gif
And thanks! It's really nice to hear you've found the lesson so useful! smile.gif

On my JMP i've set the presence to 6 (which is max). Not sure why i havent put that in the description. I'll do that from now on.
I dont use any compressors directly on the guitar-tracks, i just put a compressor on the allaround mix of the song to enhance every instrument, so it's kinda difficult to say what the equivalent settings would be on a direct guitar-compressor.

And you heard right, i did use a delay on the lead-tracks on that lesson.
I use a software delay thats integrated in Cubase (DoubleDelay).
I've set the time to 1/4th of the of the BPM (200bpm in this case) which would according to my calculation be the same as 300 ms delay and the mix is set to 15%.

Hope this helps smile.gif

well, crap. no wonder i can't get that sorta delay. my pedal only goes up to 200 ms delay i do believe. but perhaps my amps effects will do it....i'll have to see. But yeah, i've tried to get your tone with my stuff i use, but it's still not the same of course. I think i'm close though.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 08:02 AM