Right Hand, Coördination?
Zynex
May 15 2009, 09:00 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys,

Lately I have been practicing a new way of picking, because my old technique was not very effective.
I used to have my pinky, ring- and middlefinger stretched open and clenched to the body of my guitar. I did this to have some coördination over my strings, but it limited my movements. Both Pedja and Muris told me it was better to have you picking hand floating over the body, rather than clenched to the body to give more freedom to move my picking hand.

Indeed there were right, and my hand feels alot more free this way. The only problem I have now, is that my coördination sucks since I started this new technique sad.gif. I have been hitting the wrong strings more than I used to... Esspecially when doing string skipping and picking chords. I feel like a total beginner again. So my question is.. How do you guys get the coördination of your right hand stabil?

Greetz,
Zynex

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
May 15 2009, 09:26 AM
Instructor
well, it´s easier to learn something new than to correct something you was doing wrong for long time :S
just keep practicing everything you have to play and pay attention on this new position. don´t give up man, in a few weeks you´ll be fine.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
superize
May 15 2009, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (Zynex @ May 15 2009, 10:00 AM) *
Hi guys,

Lately I have been practicing a new way of picking, because my old technique was not very effective.
I used to have my pinky, ring- and middlefinger stretched open and clenched to the body of my guitar. I did this to have some coördination over my strings, but it limited my movements. Both Pedja and Muris told me it was better to have you picking hand floating over the body, rather than clenched to the body to give more freedom to move my picking hand.

Indeed there were right, and my hand feels alot more free this way. The only problem I have now, is that my coördination sucks since I started this new technique sad.gif. I have been hitting the wrong strings more than I used to... Esspecially when doing string skipping and picking chords. I feel like a total beginner again. So my question is.. How do you guys get the coördination of your right hand stabil?

Greetz,
Zynex

When learning something new its like you are a biginner again in the start but work at slow tempos and you will get in no time.........

It will feel akward at first but once you get the hang of it its going to be easy

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
May 15 2009, 10:25 AM
Learning Tone Guru
I am comming from the same place as you.. I was pivoting my pinky and I had it even harder - i could shred with closed fist and play rythm only with my pinky pivoted and pick held between thumb, index and middle.

As times goes by - its like month and half since the change I am slowly getting able to play easier rythms (basic powerchords and sliding octaves... no fat E triplet pedalling yet:)) with fist... its all about this. When you change something about your picking, you are starting all again.

But trust me - its for the better wink.gif

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Zynex
May 15 2009, 11:59 AM
GMC:er
Thanks guys smile.gif. Yeah I know it's neccesary is I want to get better smile.gif. It's just a real bummer to redo everything youve been working on for 3 years haha. But I do feel this is for the best. Im still figuring out the best way to get my coördination back on track.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 15 2009, 12:44 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
You probably have gone through this but I wanted to reply as this subject is also bothering me. smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...nchronisation1/

I practiced this for 2 days now and I can speed up and hit the note accurately than 2 days ago. Well, all the excercises in this particular lesson is simple as I have been doing this for quite sometime now. The very last few seconds is where I was enlightened. The Ring and the Pinky combination. I wasn't just fast enough in this combination because my pinky was bit weak. Once I practiced that, I am beginning to feel that strength on my pinky and something has just changed.

Don't think its an easy lesson (I am sure after 3 yrs you will find this easy) but wow.. that was one simple trick. I will practice that more to get that timing and speed.

Next, is picking definitely. I am still learning this but you should check out lessons from alternate picking and all sorts of picking by Muris Varajic!

AND THE GREAT TRICK OF ALL....

NEVER PIVOT YOUR RIGHT HAND PINKY!!

This post has been edited by maharzan: May 15 2009, 12:46 PM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Artemus
May 15 2009, 01:29 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
In terms of adjusting to a new technique, as everyone here has said, it's a matter of going through the right exercises and having the patience to give yourself the time to adapt to the new style. However, with regard to having some sense of where your hand is i.e. coordination, I use the part of my hand the mutes the strings to gauge whereabouts my hand is along the strings. It doesn't take too long before having an intuitive feel for where the strings are without looking.
Also, for string skipping it helps me to focus on trying to "memorise" the distance which my hand has to move. It will take a while before muscle memory kicks in but by zoning into how your hand needs to move and being aware of how is should "feel" will hopefully give you the stability you need with the picking hand and also the security of knowing that your technique works.
Hope this helps smile.gif

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 15 2009, 02:17 PM
Instructor
Donny post video with new picking technique, lets see what you are talking about wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 15 2009, 04:01 PM
Instructor
It always happens when you change your picking,
take some serious practicing and it'll be just fine,
the most important is that you feel more free this way. smile.gif

P.S. I changed my picking like 3-4 times, approx 5-6 years wasted picking wise. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 15 2009, 04:14 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 15 2009, 04:01 PM) *
It always happens when you change your picking,
take some serious practicing and it'll be just fine,
the most important is that you feel more free this way. smile.gif

P.S. I changed my picking like 3-4 times, approx 5-6 years wasted picking wise. biggrin.gif

Muris, are you saying that your current picking is the best technique (for you) or are you planning to change it again? biggrin.gif

That reminds me of a problem I am having. If its a fast riff, I am feeling that putting the pick straight is very hard and it skips some notes whereas putting it slightly angled feels easier and doesn't skip the notes but my right hand feels a little awkward. If its too long (excercises), it starts to hurt. I need to find a better way. What do you recommend? How do you do it?

This post has been edited by maharzan: May 15 2009, 04:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 15 2009, 07:54 PM
Instructor
Just take your time man, and push the new technique as often as you can through practice. It will not show right away, your hands will tend to anchor again, specially on some well rehearsed picking patterns that you did before, but in some time, you will see the progress. It will not happen overnight, so you may get the feeling that you are not progressing too much with floating hand, but trust me, after some time, bit by bit, your picking hand will float more and more.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 15 2009, 09:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ May 15 2009, 05:14 PM) *
Muris, are you saying that your current picking is the best technique (for you) or are you planning to change it again? biggrin.gif

That reminds me of a problem I am having. If its a fast riff, I am feeling that putting the pick straight is very hard and it skips some notes whereas putting it slightly angled feels easier and doesn't skip the notes but my right hand feels a little awkward. If its too long (excercises), it starts to hurt. I need to find a better way. What do you recommend? How do you do it?

I'm not planing to change it atm, no,
I said that I changed it several times in past
but I was actually talking only about the way to hold pick, close/open fist etc
when playing lead stuff like alternate picking per example.
However there's no need to keep the same grip or hand position for everything,
some rhythm stuff would need more relaxed hand with less attach
while some metal riff would demand totally different approach,
not to mention how to strum wide and full of tone open chords etc.
So yeah, you need to adapt your hand for the things that you play atm,
just be sure that you're not doing anything completely "wrong or weird".
The only recommendation that I can offer you right now is not to panic
and too keep practicing as much as possible,
it does hurt, it hurts always when we practice a lot,
I just hope that this hurting you feel isn't over the top tho. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
May 16 2009, 01:34 AM
Jazz Instructor
picking style comes naturally if you practice technique correctly and have good playing habits...
you can't just impose that on your self...

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 16 2009, 03:12 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
cool.. I am really looking closely to the lessons and how left / right hand are positioned. following them closely.

Thanks Muris.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
May 16 2009, 07:08 AM
Instructor
The biggest thing to remember is as you progress always analyze what is most comfortable for you and sounds the best to you. The way you pick is part of your tone. I know that alot of shred players play with a closed fist, but there are alot of players who play with open hand too.

Micheal Angelo Batio for example plays with an open hand and quite often anchors his middle finger on the edge of the neck pickup.

Tony MacAlpine also plays with an open hand. Eddie VanHalen also has a strange way of picking, but it works for him. He holds the pick with thumb index, and middle finger and has his wrist at an odd angle.

I for a long time played with a closed fist, but recently within the last year developed an injury that involves the ulnar nerve in the right arm. So i am having to change to an open handed technique to reduce the stress on that nerve that runs down the arm into the pinky.

I guess i have come full circle, not by choice though. When i first started playing i played with open hand anchored, then switched to close fist floating, now switching again to open hand, but not as anchored as i was, more like a floating open hand.

Its all about conservation of motion for how YOU play. Some people just need different angles because of how their muscles developed etc.

Experiment, find the best balance of techniques that you can.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 16 2009, 12:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ May 16 2009, 04:12 AM) *
cool.. I am really looking closely to the lessons and how left / right hand are positioned. following them closely.

Thanks Muris.

You're welcome, keep working and it shall be just fine. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
May 16 2009, 12:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey, I let my hand rest on the part holding the strings (where the whammy-bar is inserted), this lets me move my hand quite freely smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 16 2009, 12:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alexiaden93 @ May 16 2009, 01:48 PM) *
Hey, I let my hand rest on the part holding the strings (where the whammy-bar is inserted), this lets me move my hand quite freely smile.gif

I do it pretty much like that.
only I rest it on upper part of the bridge,
something like when you do palm muting. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 16 2009, 10:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 16 2009, 01:59 PM) *
I do it pretty much like that.
only I rest it on upper part of the bridge,
something like when you do palm muting. smile.gif

+1 here, I rest side of my palm actually smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:05 AM