> improvisation in Am !!, /m/ Am /m/
ezravdb
post Feb 13 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 764

hello you crazy guitar people biggrin.gif

I thought it was time to finally post something on the upload board again after a while biggrin.gif

I think I improved a lot since my lost upload from kirk hammett XD

and this is an improvisation, so i made everything up while playing.

as you can see the backing is in Am and I played in the A minor scale and addes a few arpeggios as well.

I tried my best to make it as much fun for the listener as I could
(however I didnt push my technique to its limit, maybr by the next upload)

I hope you guys can give me some good critique so that you push me to improvise more biggrin.gif

thank you here it is

greets

E.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  improvisation_A_xD_by_Ezravdb.mp3 ( 1.85MB ) Number of downloads: 492

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jeff
post Feb 13 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 706

Good job! I like the arpeggios and the A minor scale sounds cool. I think it would be beneficial to slow down in some parts and let the notes ring out. Mellow it out some - hold them a little longer.

Save the fast stuff for the passages between the notes that you really want to come alive. Perhaps some more bending and slight vibrato.

I like it!

smile.gif

+Quote Post
ezravdb
post Feb 13 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (jeff @ Feb 13 2007, 05:53 PM) *
Good job! I like the arpeggios and the A minor scale sounds cool. I think it would be beneficial to slow down in some parts and let the notes ring out. Mellow it out some - hold them a little longer.

Save the fast stuff for the passages between the notes that you really want to come alive. Perhaps some more bending and slight vibrato.

I like it!

smile.gif

I understand biggrin.gif thank you

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Feb 13 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #4

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (jeff @ Feb 13 2007, 11:53 AM) *

I like it!

smile.gif

Hey - you have some nice sweeps and speed picking going there, gives me hope that I can get there one day;)

I would suggest that now you have some of the basic techniques down you start to take a step back and think more about how to connect the different parts of a solo together to get a few differences in timing, scales speed etc. The way I do this is to improvise for a loooong time, then pick the bits that work the best and build them into a much shorter solo. Another way is to be so hugely experienced that the right bits just fall into place but that is really hard to do, and beyond me except at a basic bluesy kind of level (not knocking blues, but it helps that there is really only one common scale, and fewer chord progressions)

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
ezravdb
post Feb 13 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 13 2007, 06:59 PM) *
Hey - you have some nice sweeps and speed picking going there, gives me hope that I can get there one day;)

I would suggest that now you have some of the basic techniques down you start to take a step back and think more about how to connect the different parts of a solo together to get a few differences in timing, scales speed etc. The way I do this is to improvise for a loooong time, then pick the bits that work the best and build them into a much shorter solo. Another way is to be so hugely experienced that the right bits just fall into place but that is really hard to do, and beyond me except at a basic bluesy kind of level (not knocking blues, but it helps that there is really only one common scale, and fewer chord progressions)

Thank you Andrew Cockburn (ouch! XD) for the kind words.

I will work on it immediatly smile.gif and i will also post a new file soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fretdancer
post Feb 14 2007, 10:22 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 370

I can tell you have been practicing 3 note per string and shred type playing, and clearly you have been trying to build speed and had some success there so well done.

I would suggest that you put the patterns you have learned into more defined phrases and perhaps finish each lick off with a long bent vibrato'd note that lasts a bar or more. Just to define each lick, and to emphasise the melodic content, otherwise they tend to blend into a bit of a repetitive drone.

I know phrasing is difficult and its something I have issues with too, I think its down to concentrating more on the mechanics of playing, than the actual end product (at least with me). Once you become more proficient with each lick you concentrate less on the mechanics and start to add the flourishes like vibrato and also able to play notes with different time values better.

I would say that to make it more musical and melodic, its perhaps better to break up the fast play with passages of slower play, and even silence at times, and then perhaps the odd bar or 2 of fast licks.

I could not hear the correalation between what you were playing and the backing track, though I suspect that may be to do with how you recorded it. Were you microphoning the amp and playing the backing track through a different speaker? - it may be helpfull to increase the Backing track volume?

Clearly your proud of how far you have come, and it shows that practice makes for improvement. I can hear that you have got your fingers working quickly and are getting to grips with it.

You also posted in this forum your vibrato. I have to say that your playing there is pretty good, very rocky bluesy and melodic. It reminded me of Hendrix. I guess you were not trying so hard there but it gave us a glimpse of the real you and your style perhaps and I thought that showed more in 10 seconds than this clip did over a far longer period of time.

Thanks for posting - keep posting more for us.

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Feb 14 2007, 11:41 AM
Post #7

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

I agree with what's been said! You need a melody to build your shred licks around.

Also - why not post the links to your old uploads too so we can track your progress better/easier? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Liam
post Feb 14 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 747

Thats some crazy stuff from a grazy player biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ezravdb
post Feb 14 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #9

when i finish homework Im going to jam again and this time I focus on something shorter, and Im going to think of a melody before i begin.

stay tuned tongue.gif

oh and fretdancer thanks for your post, it was very useful (like they usualy are!) smile.gif

This post has been edited by ezravdb: Feb 14 2007, 02:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
PickNGrin
post Feb 14 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 873

What the others said.
It seems like one long chord on an organ, and it sounds diminished. The mix was yeilded some dischord. I agree you have progress in speed building techniques!

+Quote Post
ezravdb
post Feb 14 2007, 04:52 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (PickNGrin @ Feb 14 2007, 04:24 PM) *
What the others said.
It seems like one long chord on an organ, and it sounds diminished. The mix was yeilded some dischord. I agree you have progress in speed building techniques!

i dont understand what you mean with: The mix was yeilded some dischord" but i think its negative smile.gif

after listening the file again i found some points i already can solve today

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratman33
post Mar 15 2007, 11:30 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1.300

i thought the background music was pretty dumb to me.i didnt like it because to me it sounded like elevator music lol. but you played pretty well.in your picture, the guitar your playing, is that the one you play now or what?

This post has been edited by stratman33: Mar 17 2007, 01:06 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Mar 16 2007, 12:05 AM
Post #13

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (stratman33 @ Mar 15 2007, 11:30 PM) *
i thought the background music was REALLY dumb, but you played pretty well.in your picture, the guitar your playing, is that the one you play now or what?

Stratman - if something doesn't sound good to you - don't just say it's "dumb" - instead explain exactly why it doesn't appeal to you. Otherwise no one will be learning anything in this forum!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Mar 16 2007, 01:22 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1.243

I must say I did enjoy it. Your fun to listen to but i agree with fret dancer. There was a vast difference between what you were playing and the backing track. But overall it was a cool jam ! biggrin.gif

How old are you ?

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
ezravdb
post Mar 16 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Mar 16 2007, 01:22 AM) *
I must say I did enjoy it. Your fun to listen to but i agree with fret dancer. There was a vast difference between what you were playing and the backing track. But overall it was a cool jam ! biggrin.gif
How old are you ?

Thank You, I'm 15...have tomorrow my first gig ^^.
I haven't played much with backing tracks and improvising and stuff. so im really workin on it now, incorporating licks and so on...
so I hope my uploads will get better in future, and I will also post a song or something pre-written smile.gif

laters

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Mar 16 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 1.243

Cool ! Keep up the good work !

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
ezravdb
post Mar 29 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (stratman33 @ Mar 16 2007, 12:30 AM) *
i thought the background music was pretty dumb to me.i didnt like it because to me it sounded like elevator music lol. but you played pretty well.in your picture, the guitar your playing, is that the one you play now or what?

I know, and that's not my current guitar anymore but Im to lame to change the picture

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2017 - 12:06 PM