4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Question For The Serbian Members And Instructors, something about a new law for music, is this true?
Pedja Simovic
post Jun 30 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #21

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.892

I didn't mean to insult anybody here. If you guys like turbo folk music, like it, I don't and have like hundred reasons why I don't. After all the music education, ear training and overall knowledge I find it insulting to listen to music that uses accordion in over 90% of the song that mimics the singers melody so singer doesn't sing out of pitch!
Bogdan, great songs - we can have discussion what defines great song ?
Its different for everybody anyways. I prefer to go to jazz rock funk blues fusion concert than go to folk music gig and listen to that music. We all know how these gigs go and end up anyways wink.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jun 30 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #22

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

QUOTE (jafomatic @ Jun 30 2009, 11:59 PM) *
Well, I went and listened to some more examples of the turbofolk style and I still agree that it is sorta "cheap" sounding musically but that was never the point of my warning.

I was not (and still am not) disagreeing with Pedja's assessment of the music, only that Pedja's argument was dangerously close to the government's own stance on "low art" music and that it would risk invalidating his opinion in an open debate.

I also didn't mean to stir up any drama.

Oh no there is no drama at all smile.gif
We have a general problem here in Serbia with that "turbo folk" music that everyone loves so much smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Jun 30 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.159

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 1 2009, 12:06 AM) *
We all know how these gigs go and end up anyways wink.gif

Bottle on some pure guy's head perhaps? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jun 30 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #24

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

It's true I'm afraid, but it's nothing to be overly concerned about really. In Serbia there is no order, people are looking ways to take other peoples money in various ways, and politicians are the worst kind of people cause they mostly use their power to make interest for them.
The golden rule is: where the money is that's where the politics is"
Politicians are just trying to hold monopoly on everything because they simply can, no one is there to stop them, that's the real problem. If they see big money in music business they will invent couple of laws and before you know it, all musicians have to pay. If young artists want to become major stars they have to be politically oriented towards certain power circles in order to provide connections for the way to the top.
This is of course most prominent in local ethnic type music that has roots in old Turkish and middle east music. Now, some 40-50 years ago national folk stars had some nice and quality songs, that was good music. Today the quality of this music is not something that is in the first place, it is more important to just make 1000 songs and make 10000 euros out of it. With money being the first thing important, you can rest assure that after a while quality of music will suffer and standards will become lower and lower.
However, I never felt frustrated about any of this, simply because here in Serbia I was raised like this, watched these things every day so I feel them like normal. If I were to go to some western developed country and observe the ways they treat people and musicians specially, it would probably be a revelation for me. So, having in mind that my country is very much in behind of the rest of the world by some 40-50 years (literally), it is not hard to understand why these things happen. People here don't care about rock&roll, they never did, they always cared for folk music, and this will make money. What brings money, this will get politics support (because of the massive corruption ofc), what doesn't bring money, this cannot exist as music art form at all. Why? Well.. it doesn't bring any money of course, and money is very important for politics... So it all goes in circles.
However, good music will always be good music and there will always be people who are interested in it. It will find a way as universal language even here on these unhappy territories. I keep my head up, and wouldn't be here telling you this if I really don't believe in that. No matter how bad they are, they can never destroy OUR music. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Jun 30 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #25

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 1 2009, 12:19 AM) *

That and some shooting or fights of course biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 1 2009, 12:20 AM) *
It's true I'm afraid, but it's nothing to be overly concerned about really. In Serbia there is no order, people are looking ways to take other peoples money in various ways, and politicians are the worst kind of people cause they mostly use their power to make interest for them.
The golden rule is: where the money is that's where the politics is"
Politicians are just trying to hold monopoly on everything because they simply can, no one is there to stop them, that's the real problem. If they see big money in music business they will invent couple of laws and before you know it, all musicians have to pay. If young artists want to become major stars they have to be politically oriented towards certain power circles in order to provide connections for the way to the top.
This is of course most prominent in local ethnic type music that has roots in old Turkish and middle east music. Now, some 40-50 years ago national folk stars had some nice and quality songs, that was good music. Today the quality of this music is not something that is in the first place, it is more important to just make 1000 songs and make 10000 euros out of it. With money being the first thing important, you can rest assure that after a while quality of music will suffer and standards will become lower and lower.
However, I never felt frustrated about any of this, simply because here in Serbia I was raised like this, watched these things every day so I feel them like normal. If I were to go to some western developed country and observe the ways they treat people and musicians specially, it would probably be a revelation for me. So, having in mind that my country is very much in behind of the rest of the world by some 40-50 years (literally), it is not hard to understand why these things happen. People here don't care about rock&roll, they never did, they always cared for folk music, and this will make money. What brings money, this will get politics support (because of the massive corruption ofc), what doesn't bring money, this cannot exist as music art form at all. Why? Well.. it doesn't bring any money of course, and money is very important for politics... So it all goes in circles.
However, good music will always be good music and there will always be people who are interested in it. It will find a way as universal language even here on these unhappy territories. I keep my head up, and wouldn't be here telling you this if I really don't believe in that. No matter how bad they are, they can never destroy OUR music. smile.gif

Well said Ivan, I agree with you but nevertheless it is very frustrated that these guys control whole music monopoly in Serbia.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jun 30 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 1 2009, 12:06 AM) *
I didn't mean to insult anybody here. If you guys like turbo folk music, like it, I don't and have like hundred reasons why I don't. After all the music education, ear training and overall knowledge I find it insulting to listen to music that uses accordion in over 90% of the song that mimics the singers melody so singer doesn't sing out of pitch!
Bogdan, great songs - we can have discussion what defines great song ?
Its different for everybody anyways. I prefer to go to jazz rock funk blues fusion concert than go to folk music gig and listen to that music. We all know how these gigs go and end up anyways wink.gif

Its not insulting at all, I don't listen to turbo folk either. smile.gif And I dislike it as much as you. smile.gif
Well great song may not be appropriate expression but I meant mostly on hit songs. Songs that a wide audience accepted and likes and knows by heart etc etc. I mean, its very hard to make a hit song in any genre. I just don't think its any easier to make such a song in that pop/folk genre then in the rock one for example. And you can't force a song to become a hit if it doesn't have that special ingredient. I often see underground bands that make alternative songs etc, that are pretty "bad" and uninteresting to me - maybe they could study other genres and see the common ingredient - interesting vocal line for example, or arrangement...so they would then make better songs and ultimately make rock music the mainstream one. I don't think Serbian people are programmed to listen to turbo folk and if you bombard them with good quality rock and other genres songs - they can change in time. But you will need of course hit songs for that, ones that "click in" to major audience and I don't think they have to be cheasy or something to do that.We already have big hit songs in other genres as example, we now just need more of them smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jun 30 2009, 11:24 PM

--------------------
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Jun 30 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #27

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jul 1 2009, 12:24 AM) *
Its not insulting at all, I don't listen to turbo folk either. smile.gif And I dislike it as much as you. smile.gif
Well great song may not be appropriate expression but I meant mostly on hit songs. Songs that a wide audience accepted and likes and knows by heart etc etc. I mean, its very hard to make a hit song in any genre. I just don't think its any easier to make such a song in that pop/folk genre then in the rock one for example. And you can't force a song to become a hit if it doesn't have that special ingredient. I often see underground bands that make alternative songs etc, that are pretty "bad" and uninteresting to me - maybe they could study other genres and see the common ingredient - interesting vocal line for example, or arrangement...so they would then make better songs and ultimately make rock music the mainstream one. I don't think Serbian people are programmed to listen to turbo folk and if you bombard them with good quality rock and other genres songs - they can change in time. But you will need of course hit songs for that, ones that "click in" to major audience and I don't think they have to be cheasy or something to do that.We already have big hit songs in other genres as example, we now just need more of them smile.gif

I agree with you Bogdan, you said some great things in this post. There are hit songs in other genres but problem remains in other areas. For example, how many TV and Radio stations can you name that play contemporary styles, and how many play turbo folk music ? Of course you can name way too many for turbo folk, but few for contemporary styles !
Another thing, how many shows are there for contemporary music, how many for turbo folk? Again, turbo folk wins.
What sells more in Serbia - turbo folk or contemporary music ? In other words turbo folk concert always packed vs canceled concerts of other stars (in some cases people from whole region need to come to fill in some place for contemporary music).
One thing I am afraid of and that is reality right now is how people trained their ear to turbo folk music. That stuff is as I said before, accordion following singers melody so singer doesn't fall out of pitch. Whats even more worrying for me is that people don't even hear when singer goes out of pitch (high or low), because in turbo folk those high and wide vibratos have a lot of out of pitch notes !!!
So that my friend directly influences people who are forced (in a way) to listen to that music and train their ear totally wrong!
Then what can you expect? Somebody to play tune with one modulation or different arrangement and orchestration and people will accept it ? No way man, unfortunately doesn't work that way - a lot of training in schools (from young age) is needed to change and educate generations towards hearing these things. Its too late for people who listen to that music for decades. They don't know any better and have learned to love it. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jun 30 2009, 11:34 PM
Post #28

Instructor
Group Icon

Pedja, some things have to be clarified if you are talking about music that is trash. This is very generalized statement.. why? Well because when you say folk music is trash you are basically saying that ALL folk music is trash right? I haven't seen that you were referring to any special composition or something. Also what are the boundaries of folk music for you?

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
post Jun 30 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #29

Learning Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.825

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jun 30 2009, 11:19 PM) *

You guys play rough in the Balkans..... tongue.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jafomatic
post Jun 30 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #30

GMC:er

Member No.: 7.145

Well, then I have two (possibly three) opinions on turbofolk and the control over the music industry in that area.

1. It seems to be in the same position as the terrible american pop music that is splattered all over the radio stations here. Change is discouraged by the station owners (like ClearChannel) because it may cause a decrease in listeners and thus "units sold" which means the station owners discourage change to the record labels. The labels will not support or seek out new and interesting musical acts but rather look to create for themselves "the next big thing" which will maintain the status quo (theoretically) forever.

2. If the above is as similar as it reads (to me) in the balkan area with folk/turbofolk then I'd say the way to foster a change away from that music is from within. Start making that music style better bit by bit. Here's what I heard from a few quick samples on youtube:

- thumpy club / rave music
- balkan/gypsy melodies
- little to no variation of themes within the songs

So. You can dance to it and the majority likes it? It sounded like "gypsy trance" to me, but perhaps it appeals to a different age bracket. If I wanted to change that music style, I'd get as many musicians as I could to start injecting more interesting ideas into the style; just a little bit at a time. Over time, perhaps too much time, this would cause influences to reinforce a new direction for the style.

The alternative is drastic change, which is always at risk of being rejected by the audience. That risk decreases slightly as you add marketing capital but it never goes away fully.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Jun 30 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #31

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 1 2009, 12:34 AM) *
Pedja, some things have to be clarified if you are talking about music that is trash. This is very generalized statement.. why? Well because when you say folk music is trash you are basically saying that ALL folk music is trash right? I haven't seen that you were referring to any special composition or something. Also what are the boundaries of folk music for you?

Ivan, let me clarify for you smile.gif
I am talking about folk music where :

- Singers sing out of tune, with out of pitch vibratos and way off high notes
- Where arranging "hook" is for accordion to mimic melody of a singer
- Where the primary tonality is harmonic minor and most common mode used is Phrygian dominant
- Where there is always some harmonizing in 3rds
- Where there is fake/midi drum beat sounds and arrangements but emphasis is on how hot singer looks and acts (like some adult star)
- Where there is always same modulation in the tune etc

I can mention a lot of other things but it annoys me a lot to see people stealing music from other countries and claiming it at their own. Our turbo folk stars have done that for 20 years now and they have made millions on it , and nobody got punished of course because there is no copyright law in place in Serbia.

My friend from Berklee came back to Serbia, finished Music Business there and went to president Tadic for meeting about music copyright in Serbia. Can you believe they laughed at the guy ? They were like " Where did you think you came, and what do you plan to do ? " Mission impossible in Serbia to set standards like in other western countries.

Like you said, Serbia is behind 40-50 years if not more , and this is especially true for Music.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jun 30 2009, 11:52 PM
Post #32

Instructor
Group Icon

You see the problem with folk music here is that it went into "fabricating" mode so the speak.

Any music can be like that when you start to fabricate it for money. Take something serious like jazz or blues for example:

If you have audience that likes Jazz for example and you push the music to mainstream, the music will suffer, and standards will fall just like any other music. There will be 1000 jazz "experts" who make standard, simplified, similar tunes just for the money.

--------------------

+Quote Post
berko
post Jun 30 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 4.782

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened either in Serbia or in any of the neighboring countries. In Hungary it's a bit more "sophisticated" - there are a few producers, a few "major" songwriters and a few sponsors. If you don't have connection with these people: you're underground. It's amazing how small the music industry is in Hungary - and how big the scene of underground music ranging from ska to progressive thrash metal. If Serbia wants to make this law, I can see it as "normal" as Ivan would see it, because it could happen here as well, only it does not because we don't have this very consistent "taste" for one particular genre. There are loads of folk-based tecno stuff with accordions but there you'll also find some really weak copies of r&b dominating.

I can agree with basically everyone here. It would be a good idea (and a pretty obvious one) to expose the Balkan region to some rock fusion jazz contemporary pop music other than turbo folk, but this would take another century I guess - unless there isn't some kind of revolution.

However, I can understand why Pedja is fed up with all the turbo folk stuff. Personally, I don't regard this stuff as folk anymore. The accordion is there, the trills, vibratos and all those cheap trademarks are featured in these pop-folk songs but it's about money. They become "hits" because they are played and are meant to be played. An original folk song (and I know what I'm talking about because through 4-5 years in school music classes every Hungarian learns at least 50-100 of the Hungarian heritage of around 8000 folk songs that were transcribed by Bartók and Kodály) is totally different, it has a context when it is sung. Turbo folk songs, however, are not "bad" simply because they are not "traditional", but the traditional folk song at least are not thrown together form a bunch of clichés just to make money with.

The conclusion after all is that it's definitely not a good scene for any kind of music when industry is pushing over it's limits with the aid of greedy politicians. There is nothing new in this situation in Serbia, it's just seriously disturbing.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Jul 1 2009, 12:07 AM
Post #34

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (jafomatic @ Jul 1 2009, 12:39 AM) *
Well, then I have two (possibly three) opinions on turbofolk and the control over the music industry in that area.

1. It seems to be in the same position as the terrible american pop music that is splattered all over the radio stations here. Change is discouraged by the station owners (like ClearChannel) because it may cause a decrease in listeners and thus "units sold" which means the station owners discourage change to the record labels. The labels will not support or seek out new and interesting musical acts but rather look to create for themselves "the next big thing" which will maintain the status quo (theoretically) forever.

2. If the above is as similar as it reads (to me) in the balkan area with folk/turbofolk then I'd say the way to foster a change away from that music is from within. Start making that music style better bit by bit. Here's what I heard from a few quick samples on youtube:

- thumpy club / rave music
- balkan/gypsy melodies
- little to no variation of themes within the songs

So. You can dance to it and the majority likes it? It sounded like "gypsy trance" to me, but perhaps it appeals to a different age bracket. If I wanted to change that music style, I'd get as many musicians as I could to start injecting more interesting ideas into the style; just a little bit at a time. Over time, perhaps too much time, this would cause influences to reinforce a new direction for the style.

The alternative is drastic change, which is always at risk of being rejected by the audience. That risk decreases slightly as you add marketing capital but it never goes away fully.

You are on the right track here Jafo ! smile.gif

I just posted above what main characteristics are of the turbo folk music, check it out it will make a lot of sense.

What you are suggesting in theory might sound work but in practice (like you said) will take a lot of time and even that doesn't guarantee it will work.

Let me give you example...

There is this great player in Serbia who finished Berklee, he plays keyboard/piano and is massive music celebrity in Serbia. His name is Vasil Hadzimanov. His parents are famous musicians so thanks to their connections he had his path easier than others might have. None of the less, he is great player! Very strong jazz fusion player with great vocabulary. He is everything but turbo folk player smile.gif
What he did on his last couple of albums was he made some sort of jazz fusion with turbo folk music. Now musicians that he has around him are among the best players in Serbia. I used to play some gig with him when I was living in Belgrade for very short period of time. Trust me when I say, all these guys can play great stuff !
One of the gigs I went to say hi to him, I encountered a situation that I will never forget for the rest of my life. These guys were playing awesome grooves improvising being all over the place such a high energy amazing stuff really, and there were like 200 people there from which everybody was staring and didn't know how to react. After the song they took a brake and I approached and said "Vasil awesome playing, that improvising you did there with augmented and superimposing was spot on " etc He just smiled and was like "Man did you see nobody heard that? Wait for our next song after the brake and check out reaction from the crowd!" I was like , ok lets see whats up. Straight after the brake they did typical one two (1 2) with minor to dominant 7th chord- very turbo folk gypsy music characteristic, and drummer was doing the same type of groove as turbo folk songs have (as simple as it gets).
People started jumping and screaming their lungs out !!! Vasil was playing some phrygian dominant and looked at me and I just shook his head , as I did, and we didn't even have to talk about it - we knew the situation too well.

This story ( I hope) serves you to some extent to realize what kind of situation we are dealing with.

7-8 million people live in Serbia, country was in couple of wars in last 20 years, and were under Ottoman empire for 5 centuries ! That must have consequences and it definitely reflects the way people think act and most definitely music that they listen.

In USA you have over 300 million people, that allows you to have variety and fan base for everything. This is why Britney Spears can be big, but so can Pat Metheny or John Denver or Metallica or John Mayer for example !

I just hope this typing was not for nothing hehe smile.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 1 2009, 12:52 AM) *
You see the problem with folk music here is that it went into "fabricating" mode so the speak.

Any music can be like that when you start to fabricate it for money. Take something serious like jazz or blues for example:

If you have audience that likes Jazz for example and you push the music to mainstream, the music will suffer, and standards will fall just like any other music. There will be 1000 jazz "experts" who make standard, simplified, similar tunes just for the money.

There is a lot more problems then just fabricating fact, but I agree that it is one of the factors.

I don't agree with you on this one simply because all over the world in developed countries you have scene for Jazz and Blues music (since you mentioned them) and those styles will never vanish. Why is that? Simply because in Jazz music (for example) its all about creativity in all forms (rhythm melody and harmony). So even if you hear one standard performed by 20 different performers and bands, you will hear different way melody is played, different orchestration and arrangement, and definitely different improvising. In fact, you will see arrangers chorus (also known as composers chorus) - something that definitely separates Jazz music from not falling into that trap of becoming predictable.

Listen to Frank Sinatra with big band do something and then listen to Chick Correa with his electric bend do same tune. They sky is the limit smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jul 1 2009, 12:11 AM
Post #35

Group Icon

heheh well people need a certain beat in order to dance to it smile.gif You can dance to jazz but very little people know how to do it. Its pretty understandable that general audience (not jazz one) wouldn't appreciate out loud cool jazz improvisation.Depends from the crowd, if it was a jazz festival I guess people would react accordingly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jul 1 2009, 12:18 AM
Post #36

Instructor
Group Icon

I haven't said Jazz and Blues will vanish in developed countries, we were talking about Serbia and pushing music into mainstream for the sake of money. When that happens, music quality suffers, it becomes simplified, any music style.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Jul 1 2009, 12:30 AM
Post #37

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jul 1 2009, 01:11 AM) *
heheh well people need a certain beat in order to dance to it smile.gif You can dance to jazz but very little people know how to do it. Its pretty understandable that general audience (not jazz one) wouldn't appreciate out loud cool jazz improvisation.Depends from the crowd, if it was a jazz festival I guess people would react accordingly.

Actually I have another story to tell you about that smile.gif

It is well known fact when you go to Jazz gig and player finishes solo, audience starts clapping and cheering! This happens regardless of size of band and intention of this is simple - communication between audience and musicians ! Audience love the solo they will clap whistle scream , if they taught it was decent they would just clap accordingly.

Now story is this... I was in Belgrade at Brenford Marsalis quartet concert. 3 out of 4 players are major known Jazz players and anywhere I went to hear them reaction was awesome. Just to make sure you know who I am talking about - Brenford Marsalis (Tenor, Alto Soprano saxophone), Jeff Tain Watts (drums) and Joey Calderazo (piano).
Concert was in "Sava Centar". First of all, it was not packed smile.gif Lots of lots of seats and I mean like hundreds or more. I came all the way from Nis to see these guys because they are my all time IDOLS and Music GODS if I may say that smile.gif Anyways, the concert start, they were amazing in the solos, what do you think audience did ? smile.gif I give you one guess smile.gif Of course they didn't clap because they don't have culture for this kind of performance. Marsalis would finish the solo and then he would hear me and like 50 other people clap and everybody else was quiet !
They acted whole concert like it was some CLASSICAL concert where they have to keep quiet during performance and wait for the end to clap.
After the concert I went backstage of course and talked to Joey Jeff and Branford, took pictures etc. This was of course one of the things I talked about because I saw them live in New York and Boston before and it was always crazy full of energy screams and clapping during. Branford asked me in front of bass player : " Pedja, Belgrade crowd is very hard to please ha? " With a big smile of course smile.gif Then I went on to explain to him where he came and the whole music industry talk + luck of contemporary concerts and gigs in country = uneducated audience (which is my whole point of todays posts anyways!). He just told me at the end "If anybody told me that before we started playing here, we wouldn't be shocked as we were after the gig. It makes sense now when you put it like that..."
Do I need to say more ? smile.gif

Oh and by the way, Jazz music was popular in 1900's and 1920's 40's etc in USA , and it was dancing music. Standards that are known as Jazz standards nowdays are songs that got basically overplayed at those types of gigs and ballroom dances , that they became well known and needed to be notated and written.
About this I learned at Berklee smile.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 1 2009, 01:18 AM) *
I haven't said Jazz and Blues will vanish in developed countries, we were talking about Serbia and pushing music into mainstream for the sake of money. When that happens, music quality suffers, it becomes simplified, any music style.

In Serbia, Jazz music or any music that has more complex rhythm harmony and melody must suffer! The reason for this is uneducated audience and poorly developed ear training skills, and that Ivan is thanks to that mainstream turbo folk that brainwashed whole population.
There are people that listen to other styles of music, but they are minority and of course you can't make living as musician on them long term. This is why Vasil does fusion with balkan music (some people call it Etno Jazz - don't even get me started on that smile.gif - not because he loves it but because thats the way other people might buy into it and he can perhaps get some gigs here and there and charge 100+ euro for gig.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jafomatic
post Jul 1 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 7.145

I see that while I was posting you did lay out some of the shortcomings of that musical style, and it sounds like your friend is a good source of change and new ideas for the style.

It does sound EXACTLY like the problem we're having in america with "pop music" though. The word "Fabricated" is exactly right. The best we can do as musicians is to buck that "norm" either as hard as we can, or as subtly as we can. There's no real way to force the populace into suddenly having better taste.

And, frankly, if it's making them happy ... who are we to say that their taste is wholly "bad" to begin with? We may still agree, but how can you tell a happy person that they're wrong or ignorant? Only by providing better examples and hoping that they'll slowly catch on and want to explore on their own.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jul 1 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #39

Group Icon

Hmm that may be as well isolated case smile.gif Did it happen to you on every jazz concert you saw in Serbia? On concerts I attended (jazz and similar genres) audience was pleased and was clapping and shouting after solos and everything.I mean people that like jazz bought the tickets and had fun and respect for the gig...

edit:

My remark on dancing was mainly on the point - you can't dance to a crazy syncopated groove and solo. You can but not many people can smile.gif
That reminded me of Chad Smith at modern drummer festival. Every drummer was doing some crazy sticking and drums solos, all over the place, really fast and impressive but not groovy. And what he did, instead of playing such solo he just played one simple funky straightforward beat for the whole 5 minutes and crowd loved it! After he explained his stand on importance of groove etc.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jul 1 2009, 12:38 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sondre
post Jul 1 2009, 12:43 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 5.288

Very interesting read, and a lot of good arguments from many different people. I would like some examples of this turbo folk music, so i can make up my own mind on the music tho.

As an outsider (Well, here in Norway everything big is pop. We have some local guitarplayers that basicly covers some known songs, Hallelujaj ftw.), I would say I have to land in the middle here. I can see Pedja's argument about the music being to simple for an educated mind, but if it pleases people, it has got some value. My guess is that you have to wait for the next generation of politicians(I dont know anything about politics in Serbia, btw), to wait for some new influnces.

I dont want to drag of topic, but there is a lot of bad music in Norway, it is basically the hits in America that gets big in Norway. We had brought our guitars to school, a friend of mine and me to practice for a concert to celebrate the end of school, and we started playing Master of Puppets, and we got stopped. sad.gif Of course, I can understand MOP, but basically everything that is not mainstream majorchords with a easy-to-listen vocalline about love, no one will listen. We did play Bohemian Rhapsody on the concert (Totally nailed the solo! cool.gif ), and some of the parents really liked it, but even Queen is too complicated for many. "Oh ma gad, a bassline, like, com ohn!!!1"

This post has been edited by Sondre: Jul 1 2009, 12:44 AM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th March 2017 - 05:08 AM