Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Kind Of Keyboard Should I Get
post Jul 3 2009, 04:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.051

Hey gang,

recently I've been really looking at getting a keyboard/piano, though recently I've been leaning more in the direction of a keyboard.

I'm thinking that I definitely want it to have MIDI capabilities, but past that I have no idea. I know weighted keys are a plus, but most of those seem way out of my price range. I'm looking to spend no more than ~$200-$250.

I've never really played piano/keyboard ever in my life, the only thing I know is that I can find the C note, and I usually just go from there when finding other notes.

Anyway, what kind of keyboard would you recommend? I'm probably going to wind up buying a used one off of craigslist, but I want to get an idea of what kind of features I should look for and such.

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jul 3 2009, 06:37 PM
Post #2

Experienced Tone Seeker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 1.135

I have an M-Audio Keystaion 88es that fits your price range. It's a USB/Midi keyboard, 88 semi-weighted keys. My daughter is a piano player and says that it's not a bad alternative to her acoustic piano, and uses it to record her studies.

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.
+Quote Post
post Jul 5 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4.360

For that price you can get a decent controller keyboard, this is a keyboard which itself produces no sound, it works with MIDI and you have to hook it up to a pc, or a sound module. These keyboards are a lot cheaper than 'real' keyboards.
With the right VST's a controller keyboard can sound pretty good. The downside is that you need a decent pc if you want to play your keyboard 'live' (you press a note and you immediately hear it), which is probably something you want.

I'm not an expert but if you want to play piano I think that you will need a keyboard with at least four octaves. Choosing a keyboard also depends on how many programmable buttons you want, if you want a pitch/modulation wheel or joystick, etc.
Here are some decent MIDI keyboards in your price range, but I'm not exactly sure what features you want.

M-Audio Keystudio 49I

Edirol PCR-300

You'll see the Edirol has a lot more buttons and even has faders, it's up to you to decide if you need these or not.

If you want to play piano I can recommend Native Instrument's Akoustik Piano, it's expensive but the sound is very good.

Guitars: Peavey HP Special Custom, Gibson SG Standard, Ibanez RG1570
Amps: Marshall TSL601, Fender Frontman Reverb, Fender Champion 600
+Quote Post
post Jul 7 2009, 04:39 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7.312

I just recently sold my Yamaha PSR292 a few months back as I was getting out of keyboard and into guitar. (And thus had funding issues) A great keyboard, was bought new for I think $300 back when I was in high school....about 6 years ago. Yamaha Grand Piano sound is very impressive for a low-end keyboard, and the ability to transfer MIDIs from computer to keyboard via USB is a plus. Few ports on the back but mostly the essentials. MIDI In/Out, Sustain only complaints were the keys were strike-sensitive but not weighted...and there was no pitch wheel. But 6 years ago, those features where much more expensive.

The M-Audios are very nice, especially for the price. Personally if I were just learning I would prefer something that I don't have to setup next to the computer though. Also, I'm not sure about the M-Audios software, but I know my Yamaha had a nice selection of Backing Tracks-style stuff...which can be put into any key! Hindsight...wish I didn't sell it as it could be a great guitar friend.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2016 - 08:41 PM