Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cutting The Nut
fkalich
post Jul 10 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.189

Just thought I would mention this. If you don't have a set of nut files, you should consider that. One nut will pay for them, about $50 for a good set on ebay. I have never seen the reason why a nut has to have extra height to it. To me, it seems it should give just a hair more clearance than over the 2nd fret when you fret it at the 1st fret.

If you do that, your action is so much lower. Also you have to be careful to not cut it too low. But if you do cut it too low, easy fix, you just get a needle and put a bit of super glue in the notch, and then pour either bone dust or backing soda over it, Turns rock like, and you cut it again more carefully.

Or you can pay someone to do it, and not be satisfied because they refuse to ever cut it as low as they could, or they screw it up somehow. But sure seems to me the playing is a lot easier and more enjoyable with the nut cut as low as possible.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Jul 10 2009, 08:58 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.189

Well you use any super glue. But you have to pour some backing soda on it. Just fill up the too-deep cut cut in the nut with the glue (on the thin slots I get a sewing needle to dab it in). Then just take some baking soda and pour it on top. Glue alone is not enough. It hardens to rock like right away, but I it set for awhile before I cut it again anyway.

They say you can use bone dust or the soda. I have a bunch of bone nuts that I thought to grind down for the dust, but have been too lazy. I think baking soda works fine.

Anyway, I don't understand any advantage of a nut higher than necessary to avoid any more buzz than you would get fretting a string. Maybe there is some reason on acoustic guitar, but I don't think that there is anything good about that for the styles we mostly play here (rock, metal, neoclassical). $50 for the set of nut files, but I don't regret it, makes this a lot easier, don't know how you can do it with a good set of nut files. My set has 9 different sizes, some guy on ebay makes them, and sells them cheaper than most do.

edit: spelling

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 10 2009, 09:03 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2017 - 04:06 AM