> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Purple Hayes - Blues Bass Groove 2, Original lesson by Bogdan Radovic
purple hayes
Aug 2 2009, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
Now that I've listened to this video on my laptop and a computer with cheap speakers, I feel the mix sucks. I'll go home tonight and work on a better mix of the same take. If I can't improve that to an acceptable level, I'll have this submission locked/deleted and I'll resubmit another take.

EDIT: At PH's request, here is the new mix!

Original Lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/blues_bass_groove_2/

Equipment: Yamaha John Myung Signature RBX6JM Bass, PD X3 Live, Reaper, Sony Vegas 8

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by skennington: Aug 12 2009, 02:33 PM

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 3 2009, 10:43 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Rhythm placement: 4.8
Cleanness: 5
Feel: 4
Posture: 5
Sound: 2.5

You have nicely held the groove over the whole track.Only one lick is slightly rushed in terms of time. For cleanness I couldn't give objective mark as I can't hear you bass with clarity. Your feel is good, but you are also playing a little mechanic and somehow notes sound too "staccato like". Try to loosen up and get into the blues groove more and get those notes ringing longer like they should. Posture is good. Sound was not very good. It's just all in bass frequencies. With bass you don't want to exaggerate those frequencies as you are already in that range and have them plenty. What you want to do for internet recording especially is a tone rich in middle frequencies. Those mids are what will essentially let you cut through the mix and give your bass sound definition and precision. I recommend starting with a flat EQ (12 o'clock) on both your bass and "virtual" amp (POD X3 Live). Then going from there tweak sound on the amp and/or bass eq. But do it subtly, you will most likely end up as high as 1o'clock on amp/bass. Now see if you can find DI Blend in option on that POD (I have it on ux2). That one will blend in natural bass sound to mix with the amp sound. Do it something like 50:50. It will give you lots of definition. You may perceive that mids rich sound to appear a little "nasal" sounding but its good for mix. And in the end once you record natural sounding bass, you can EQ it later more in the Reaper for small adjustments to overall bass sound. Using compressor will help too, to smooth out your playing. Hope these tips will help you setup bass tone. Its not that easy to find a good tone for bass especially on modeling devices like POD, Toneport which I have etc... Cool bass btw! smile.gif Keep up the good work!

EDIT:

Sound: 4

Same goes for feel, you are playing a little too much "staccato" like. Try to let the notes ring more to loose that sound. You may also try picking harder with your right hand (you will get a better sound that way too). Sounds was pretty good, but it could have even more clarity. Try mixing in some DI sound (direct) and playing with eq on the bass itself to loose the muddy sound.

Very good take overall!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Aug 5 2009, 02:19 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Aug 3 2009, 12:34 PM
Instructor
Could you do another mix or another take and then re-upload the file? You can easily reach a top score with this lesson smile.gif

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 4 2009, 11:20 PM
Instructor
Indeed, I'll wait for better audio ( bass sound )
and then edit my post with ratings,
it would be shame to keep it like this
since you nailed it pretty nicely!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
skennington
Aug 8 2009, 03:59 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
*bump*

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 10 2009, 05:47 PM
Instructor

I didn't hear the previous one but this sounds very good. I will agree with Bogdan's marks here.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Aug 11 2009, 10:49 PM
GMC:er
Rythm Placement: 4
Cleanness: 4.5

Very well done. I noted that some notes at the end are a bit out of tempo. Not bad at all, just a bit, but is a really good take!. Keep it up!

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Aug 11 2009, 11:31 PM
Instructor
Rhythm placement - 4.5
Cleanness - 4.5
Feel - 4.5
Posture - 5
Sound - 4

Glad to see this new take. Nothing to add to the previous posts.

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

+Quote Post
skennington
Aug 11 2009, 11:54 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
89.6% on this one man, glad you got the audio sorted out. (pass)

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:53 AM