Member No.: 3.341

QUOTE (DenisN @ Aug 28 2009, 06:16 PM) *
Well guys, I cnceled it and payed 90$ for the whole year....smile.gif

You did well I suppose?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
post Aug 28 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #82

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.056

If he's smiling, I guess it's good enough for him laugh.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
earthling
post Oct 15 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #83

GMC:er

Member No.: 7.481

Well this is goodbye for me at least...Years ago I went to college and took music theory, I left with holes in my knowledge because it was a one year course and mostly applied to piano so I came here to brush up on some technical chops. I'm not impressed with the theory content I found here. What I did find was sporadic and unorganized. I really only gained the insight and clarity of explanation from some of Dave Wallimann's contributions(nice work Dave). If you jack the price of a service you better jack the quality or you loose your customers, its that simple.
A little more on the importance of theory...you can learn a difficult song note for note but without learning the theory behind the song you wont really learn anything and when you go to write your first song you will sound like a disjointed mess. I just spent $105 on a famous series of books on music theory that have been around for over twenty years at seeing the rate increase. That $105 got me three books(700+ pages)and 3 dvd accompaniments. So tell us again why online instructional videos that you can't even download are worth $228 a year...they aren't...its just capitalism...It really is that simple. I had a hard time justifying the $90 a year fee to begin with.
I have been learning songs by ear for 15 years, what I needed was more solid knowledge. I wasn't getting it here. Furthermore throwing around the word "Master" is something people often do but rarely back up. Maybe you could rename the site AboveAverageBarCoverBandClass. You have some great teachers here but they didn't get where they are by learning difficult cover songs. I know people are going to point out that there is theory content on the site but it is not set up as a proper curriculum.

+Quote Post
Dexxter
post Oct 15 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #84

Learning Tone Guru

Member No.: 2.196

QUOTE (earthling @ Oct 15 2009, 11:11 PM) *
Well this is goodbye for me at least...Years ago I went to college and took music theory, I left with holes in my knowledge because it was a one year course and mostly applied to piano so I came here to brush up on some technical chops. I'm not impressed with the theory content I found here. What I did find was sporadic and unorganized. I really only gained the insight and clarity of explanation from some of Dave Wallimann's contributions(nice work Dave). If you jack the price of a service you better jack the quality or you loose your customers, its that simple.
A little more on the importance of theory...you can learn a difficult song note for note but without learning the theory behind the song you wont really learn anything and when you go to write your first song you will sound like a disjointed mess. I just spent $105 on a famous series of books on music theory that have been around for over twenty years at seeing the rate increase. That $105 got me three books(700+ pages)and 3 dvd accompaniments. So tell us again why online instructional videos that you can't even download are worth $228 a year...they aren't...its just capitalism...It really is that simple. I had a hard time justifying the $90 a year fee to begin with.
I have been learning songs by ear for 15 years, what I needed was more solid knowledge. I wasn't getting it here. Furthermore throwing around the word "Master" is something people often do but rarely back up. Maybe you could rename the site AboveAverageBarCoverBandClass. You have some great teachers here but they didn't get where they are by learning difficult cover songs. I know people are going to point out that there is theory content on the site but it is not set up as a proper curriculum.

Sounds to me like you haven't even seen what GMC has to offer. Video lessons are the "small" part.

+Quote Post
superize
post Oct 15 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #85

Ultimate Tone Guru
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 2.410

If you dont like it then you dont have to stay...... there are people here who like everything about GMC and the way it teaches guitar....

Go read your books now and have fun

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Bondy
post Oct 15 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #86

Learning Roadie
Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 2.884

You obviously have not checked the site fully, FYI there are only a few cover song lessons, there's a thing called browsing not just looking at the main page. Enjoy your books

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Oct 15 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #87

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2.159

Yeah, I believe you haven't browsed enough.
Speaking of theory, you must be aware (and I'm sure you ARE already)
that most of young players are attached to technique and soloing instead of
equal use of theory and technique straight from the start.
That is not big issue at all imo since we have tons of topics about theory here
and lots of discussion as well.
Main idea of lessons at GMC is video which is playing with fair amount of theory
explained either in video or in text.
What I do appreciate is when GMC member asks me a question about theory
behind lesson if I haven't explained it fully in details already,
it means that he is into more than just playing notes by note.
We must be careful with spending too much time on theory in video lessons
cause that might be major reason to reject consumers,
pretty opposite of what you said above. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Boson
post Oct 15 2009, 11:05 PM
Post #88

Learning Apprentice Player
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.981

Steady on guys, lets not just dismiss Earthling without carefully consideering what is said!

Well done you guys for jumping to defend GMC. Thats cool, some of us (myself included) really appreciate what GMC is about and value what it gives us. The price hike has raised a few eyebrows but it is a personal choice as to whether you think it provides value.

However we must accept that GMC cannot possibly be all things to all men. It gives a lot but what it isnt is an overly academic and theoretical approach to guitar playing. In my opinion it is more approachable, friendly and well rounded than that. If you want the theoretical academic ethos then I'm sure it can be found elsewhere. Here I think a love of community and of music and guitar playing comes before that. GMC does provide theory but it is not the primary goal. GMC allows us all to learn and practice without the theory being in our faces but yes it is there if we want it. IF you have a question you only have to ask.

I agree there isnt necessarily a theory curriculum but with the MTP and REC and collaborations and forum and lessons and theory board and wiki and ..... and ...... need I go on? There is scope for us all to learn and progress in our playing and theory knowledge if we wish. GMC is what you make of it!

So Earthling, GMC is not for you, but thanks for trying it out, I note you have only been with us a short while. We wish you well in your quest for theory knowledge. Should you come back to us I am sure you will be made welcome, GMC is that sort of place!

We all want to play well there is more than one route toward s achieving that.

--------------------
"Better to live one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep"

+Quote Post
Gus
post Oct 15 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #89

Group Icon

Member No.: 3.920

So tell us again why online instructional videos that you can't even download are worth $228 a year...they aren't...its just capitalism...It really is that simple. I had a hard time justifying the $90 a year fee to begin with.

I actually spend little of time on GMC lessons, because there is so much more.

For me, MTP and collabs are the killer features which make me think renewing my subscription when current one ends.

$228 is a lot of money for sure, but a good guitar teacher is probably no less than $20 dollars a hour, anywhere in the world. So, I prefer paying $228 and getting MTP with a world class guitarist, than paying $90 and not having access to it.

If for any suggestion to GMC, I think it makes sense to divide it in basic subscription (lessons) at maybe a $100 and advanced subscription (everything) at the proposed price. I am sure there is market for both things

This post has been edited by Gus: Oct 15 2009, 11:12 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
opeth.db
post Oct 15 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #90

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 5.886

QUOTE (Dexxter @ Oct 15 2009, 05:22 PM) *
Sounds to me like you haven't even seen what GMC has to offer. Video lessons are the "small" part.

Amen brother!

You forgot to mention that the moderators treat the paying customers like children and run the forum like a day care and all the sheep that follow these ludicris mods.

To MikeM- Thought I forgot about your comment directed to me huh?
If you care to get banned that will happen if you publicly keep questioning how we moderate the forum. Just go ahead!

Didn't know the moderators were in the buisness of threatening the users too. You can politeliy go ...

Really.

No you can ban me and remove the post. We all know what happens here when you speak your mind.
Hopefully all the 11 year olds that come here will be able to afford the 200% increase.

Opeth you neatly encapsulate why a forum needs moderation. We have members who are minors and we also have minors who read the board. That you feel that it is ok to flame and use foul language says much about you imho. I have suspended your posting rights

Tony - on behalf of the moderating team

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Oct 16 2009, 12:00 AM

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
post Oct 15 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #91

Member No.: 901

"Earthling" sounds like a piece of work. He needs to stop buying guitar lessons and take some courses in Tact instead.

Personally I think $30 a month for new members is too high, especially when they aren't going to see the value of it until they become a full blown member. Don't get me wrong, I think GMC has great features and vids and all and if you compare it to live lessons its a great deal, but from a business standpoint you need to look at the competition online. I am afraid you might deter new members with that pricing. I am also bummed I let my old GMC membership lapse, which means when I want to sign up again, I am going to be paying a much higher price. Personnally, I signed up for Guitar Tricks because of 2 things that GMC is lacking for the moment: 1) a full Guitar Cirriculum/Lesson plan laid out(Although GMC has tons of videos it was hard for me to figure out what to practice next in logical order), and 2) All of their lessons are spoken, meaning the teachers talk to you like you are sitting in front of them. (near the end of my GMC membership, I was only looking for 101 spoken lessons). At least for me, there is something about a teacher actually telling you how to play something and discussing nuances about string muting etc that seems to work better for me than just watching a teach play something at different speeds and reading a tab of the passage)

I personally felt GMC was more advanced for me, and planned on returning once I got through the Lesson plans at the other site There are things GT is lacking too that GMC is way better at, but it seemed a better fit for my current skill level(which is beginner/intermediate).

I still do peruse the forums here at GMC too, but I think GMC should come up with other access pricing for those of us that don't need all the features(Like MTP) - You have to remember that not all members have the same goals - I am a 40 year old insurance broker that own his own business and has 3 kids, so my playing the guitar is more therapeutic - I'm not trying to become the next Steve Vai, so limited access would be fine for someone like me.

This post has been edited by Guitar1969: Oct 16 2009, 12:15 AM

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Artemus
post Oct 16 2009, 12:14 AM
Post #92

Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!

Member No.: 6.743

QUOTE (Boson @ Oct 15 2009, 11:05 PM) *
I agree there isnt necessarily a theory curriculum but with the MTP and REC and collaborations and forum and lessons and theory board and wiki and ..... and ...... need I go on? There is scope for us all to learn and progress in our playing and theory knowledge if we wish. GMC is what you make of it!

That's pretty much the way I look at it.
Theory is essential, yes, but useless without understanding.. and understanding comes from putting theory into practise, which is where this site comes in. That, at least, is how it works for me but it's not necessarily everyone's bag.
Sorry to see you go Earthling - we all learn best in our own way and I can appreciate the difficulties of the hike in price; I'm staying as long as my bank account allows me to but alas, I may have to go if my financial circumstances do not improve.

Until then, theory in motion guys - that's the key to expression wink.gif

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
kahall
post Oct 16 2009, 03:40 AM
Post #93

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.393

QUOTE (earthling @ Oct 15 2009, 04:11 PM) *
[..]
...its just capitalism...It really is that simple.
[..]

You say that like there is something wrong with it. LMAO!

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
grathan
post Oct 16 2009, 05:08 AM
Post #94

Member No.: 5.957

I'd propose a pay for what you use tier as well, 'cause I only use 6 hours a year, and most of that is just spent sifting through looking for something useful to learn.

+Quote Post
vampire18
post Oct 16 2009, 08:56 AM
Post #95

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 6.741

your talking about a very small part of gmc, ok so i agree the instructional videos alone might not worth the 228$, but try to chat with pedja for example for an hour and tell me that there are holes in your theory that no one answers. further more you get almost 24 hour of as close as you can get over the internet to face tiem with very very good instructors, not to mention the recently started mtp, and the REC program which you can get honent feedback about you playing or the collabs that try and teach you and train you in actuall writing of songs, and if you look deep inside im sure youll see that you progressed more in your time here than you have progresses in your 20 years of playing

p.s
opeth i feel you and i feel the same about the kinder gardening but there is a time and a place to say it, and say it like an adult

and guitar 1969
you are right if i may say, the thing that gmc really lacks is some kind of order of lessons of where do i go or what do i do now, i really feel like im lacking structure in my gutiar learning but the mtp togather with my RL teacher should probably help that, thogh i would still like some kind of progress bar, cause doing lvl 2s and than when nailing one going for lvl 3s wont work, but on one thing i dont agree the 101 lessnos, first of all a lot of lessons have a talking video but i dont have the pations to see a whole 101 lesson. on the other hand i really do feel the new price is more adult guitar players oriented while the sire is still kinda teenager oriented with a lot of showing of and shredding(i like it i just dont think for example my father would)

This post has been edited by vampire18: Oct 16 2009, 09:09 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gus
post Oct 16 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #96

Group Icon

Member No.: 3.920

QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Oct 16 2009, 12:41 AM) *
I still do peruse the forums here at GMC too, but I think GMC should come up with other access pricing for those of us that don't need all the features(Like MTP) - You have to remember that not all members have the same goals - I am a 40 year old insurance broker that own his own business and has 3 kids, so my playing the guitar is more therapeutic - I'm not trying to become the next Steve Vai, so limited access would be fine for someone like me.

Exactly what I think. The subscription should be separated in basic subscription and advanced subscription, where the higher price of advanced subscription is justified over more advanced features (specially MTP).

$228 definitely do not fit all needs.

This post has been edited by Gus: Oct 16 2009, 11:02 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Matt23
post Oct 16 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #97

Accomplished Tone Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.866

Maybe GMC could offer a cheaper subscription with adverts, so people can still afford it, and GMC get's the same amount of money.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
post Oct 16 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #98

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 2.164

I wont subscribe to GMC again. Not for those prices...

I love the site and I would accept a double in the pricing but not the current fees!
I see it as a silent protest to the 200% raise

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Oct 16 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #99

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

Thanks for the comments -

We do understand that the new prices will not suit everybody - and that a price raise in itself is never appreciated (may it be 10% or 300% ). Making this decision was not an easy thing to do.

Some of the new posts here are quite insensible and could potentially be bad for GMC - so this thread will be closed.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2017 - 07:42 AM