> Good Audio Interface?
Thunder9513
post Aug 20 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.466

Hey Everyone,

I'm in the market for a new audio interface. The reason is, my friends throughout the years have bought me Christmas or birthday presents of Amplitube2, Amplitube METAL, Revalver MKIII and Guitar Rig 3. I have recently bought a pod x3 but I will be using it mostly for live, now that I'm in a band that plays every weekend. So, now I want to use these software's. What do you guys recommended? BTW I use the DAW SONAR 8, so it must work well with sonar. All prices and brands are welcome, the interface has to be good tho.

Thank you!!
-Eric
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
post Aug 20 2009, 05:28 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.490

This is what I will buy soon. Great piece of hardware.

Check the specs here

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Sergio Dorado
post Aug 20 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #3

Flamenco Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 4.906

I guess there is a lot of audio soundcards, internal and external, that can work. Line 6 devices (like toneport, pod studio GX or even pod xt) allows you to use amplitube, Guitar Rig, etc. Also try Jamvox, that has great sounds and only 2- 3 ms of latency as a soundcard (line 6 driver has 5ms). This is an important aspect to use Guitar Rig or Amplitube in "direct monitoring", with sounds in real time

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Aug 20 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #4

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

Thunder, can you provide more info:

number and type of connections; do you need phantom power; how do you want to connect it to pc; OS on your pc ; price range. More info will help narrow down the options smile.gif

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Thunder9513
post Aug 20 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6.466

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 20 2009, 09:58 AM) *
Thunder, can you provide more info:

number and type of connections; do you need phantom power; how do you want to connect it to pc; OS on your pc ; price range. More info will help narrow down the options smile.gif

I need at least two inputs, 48v phantom power, USB and any price. Thanks!

+Quote Post
coloneldrew
post Aug 20 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6.411

I picked this up early in the spring this year and let me tell you, it works WONDERS. Read the specs and see if this is what you need.

I used to have an EMU (like the one Emir posted earlier) but it shorted out and the new model was the same price as this Tascam so I figured, for the same price why not get more tracks?

Easy to set up (especially in Cubase).

+Quote Post
Gilmore
post Aug 20 2009, 08:50 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2.932

I just bought this today. Just newly released product that I think is good quality for decent price (359 euros). There is also another version of this that does not have VRM built in (285 euros). This device got everything you need, including firewire connection with zero latency, 2 mic preamps that Focusrite are famous for and plenty of inputs and outputs.

http://www.focusrite.com/products/saffire/...ire_pro_24_dsp/

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Aug 20 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #8

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

I use toneport ux2 (POD Studio ux2) and its pretty good and easy to use. But that EMU card would be more interesting option I guess...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Aug 20 2009, 10:53 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Links to the products where I wrote 'here' btw wink.gif .

Quite a few Sonar users seem fond of Motu (Mark of the Unicorn) and Tascam audio interfaces. Both are good though arguably Motu are more pro quality then Tascam. (Tascam is aimed more at starter home studio but is generally still good kit. Motu are more premium end home studio and nearly in to pro end.) A lot of Motu interfaces are firewire but the 828 MkII here is USB and would cost about 500USD. An 828 has more than enough i/o for you.

A tascam 144 is I think limited to 2 mic/instruments (one is HiZ for guitar). A tascam 144 here would be about 250USD

- The one that a few usuers have reported issues with are Presonus like their firebox here for some reason. A bit odd as Presonus are generally OK but be cautious.

Edirol (Roland) have just launched an interface, the V-Studio here, that's specifically designed to integrate the Sonar. I've not seen too much about these yet - not sure if they actually hit the stores yet - but I think they are expected to retail for around 700USD. They carry a price premium as they are an audio interface plus a hardware control surface for controlling Sonar without having to use a mouse.

Another possibility is an RME external audio card like a Fireface USB here. These are about 1000USD and sit at the premium home studio end.

I don't use Sonar so exactly how well any of the above will work straight out the box I can't say. Sorry sad.gif - but all (ith the exception of Presonus) tend to get good reviews and feedback.

One thing to bear in mind on price - if you spend 1000USD on a good audio card you should also link it to good studio monitors or you will, imho, be wasting your money. As a general rule of thumb we usually match a card with monitors of about the same price.

FWIW I use RME audio cards (I have 2 HDSP 9652 cards) and AD/DA converters (I have an ADi2) for our recording and mixing set up and am very happy with both the audio quality and how robust they are. My oldest HDSP card is now about 6 years old and has never caused me any trouble. IMHO if you need better audio and conversion than RME (and possibly Motu) then you end up going in to pro end stuff like Lavry/Prism/Cranesong and so on. We use a Lavry Blue for mastering but that is about 4000USD ohmy.gif and not really aimed at home recording wink.gif.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
TheKeplerConject...
post Aug 20 2009, 11:02 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7.261

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 20 2009, 05:53 PM) *
Edirol (Roland) have just launched an interface, the V-Studio here, that's specifically designed to integrate the Sonar. I've not seen too much about these yet - not sure if they actually hit the stores yet - but I think they are expected to retail for around 700USD. They carry a price premium as they are an audio interface plus a hardware control surface for controlling Sonar without having to use a mouse.

I have a V-Studio 100 and it's awesome.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Aug 23 2009, 01:29 AM
Post #11

Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Group Icon

Member No.: 4.276

Steinberg MR816CSX is the best audio interface I've tried.
Compared it to Line6 (different models), Echo Audio cards, E-MU (Not the one Emir suggested, as I haven't tried that), and M-audio cards..

Expensive, but DARN good! biggrin.gif

Link: http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/hardware/mr816csx.html

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 23 2009, 07:54 PM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

This should work nice for you, Cakewalk sells it, it's directly compatible with Sonar and around 500$

Cakewalk UA-101

Specs:
* 10-in/10-out USB 2.0 audio interface
* Dedicated monitor output
* All balanced I/O
* Included signal router/mixer software
* Built-in limiter
* 40-bit internal processing
* MIDI I/O
* Optical S/PDIF (Ch. 9-10)
* Low-latency drivers: WDM, ASIO 2.0
* Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0) and Full-Speed (USB 1.1) compatible

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 23 2009, 07:56 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Aug 24 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (audiopaal @ Aug 23 2009, 12:29 AM) *
Steinberg MR816CSX is the best audio interface I've tried.
Compared it to Line6 (different models), Echo Audio cards, E-MU (Not the one Emir suggested, as I haven't tried that), and M-audio cards..

Expensive, but DARN good! biggrin.gif

Link: http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/hardware/mr816csx.html

Correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK that is firewire only - no USB2?

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Aug 24 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #14

Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Group Icon

Member No.: 4.276

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 24 2009, 12:34 PM) *
Correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK that is firewire only - no USB2?

Yeah, that is correct smile.gif

Only Firewire, but that's the most stable between the two when it comes to soundinterfaces..
Not all computers have it though sad.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2017 - 12:03 PM