> The Key Of....
Jenbu
post Aug 27 2009, 05:50 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.922

Hello!

I have been playing guitar on this site in a month or more.
Anyway I think it's time for some theory and a question I wanna ask.
When people say it's in key A... Does that mean you play the A minor pentatonic boxes
or A major(if that exists).

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
post Aug 27 2009, 05:52 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7.145

Without more information beyond "A" the likliest assumption would be major. Sometimes you can take an educated guess based on the music style or the general tonality of the chords used (if your ear allows).

There's a whole lot more to learn about this, but the short answer is that when someone just says "It's in the key of A" you'd try the major approach first.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Jenbu
post Aug 27 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6.922

QUOTE (jafomatic @ Aug 27 2009, 06:52 PM) *
Without more information beyond "A" the likliest assumption would be major. Sometimes you can take an educated guess based on the music style or the general tonality of the chords used (if your ear allows).

There's a whole lot more to learn about this, but the short answer is that when someone just says "It's in the key of A" you'd try the major approach first.

oki thanks but does each key exists of many scales?
maybe it is a bit too early to learn about this?

+Quote Post
jafomatic
post Aug 27 2009, 06:05 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7.145

I don't think it's too early, since you're asking about it. There's still a risk of being overwhelmed but the choice to walk away instead of learning it is ultimately in your control.

There are many scales you could apply to "the key of A" yes, but if you're looking for one of the "safer" places to start, I would choose one of these two pairs:

- major and minor pentatonic
- major and minor diatonic (also just "the major scale" and "the natural minor scale")

If you feel you are at risk for being overwhelmed by new information, you may want to set aside (like temporarily ignore) any other mention of scale names (including the modes) until you feel more comfortable with these first steps. Whichever, just don't freak out when someone tells you that those scales ARE modes.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
JVM
post Aug 27 2009, 06:06 PM
Post #5

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.984

QUOTE (Jenbu @ Aug 27 2009, 12:56 PM) *
oki thanks but does each key exists of many scales?
maybe it is a bit too early to learn about this?

It's never too early to learn about this smile.gif

It's true that it can be a bit overwhelming at first, but there are some tricks to help you remember things. If you haven't been yet, I suggest you go to Andrew's Theory Board and check out the 'where to start' thread. Read up on the basics at least for now smile.gif

To answer your question, hopefully I understood right, but yes, in each key there are many scales. In western music when we say we are in a certain key, usually it is explained that we are in for example A minor, or A (A major). Now, there is more to it, but for now this is a good starting point. Enjoy the reading smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
post Aug 27 2009, 08:07 PM
Post #6

Jazz Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 6.012

It could be both. A should mean A major.
But most songs on guitar are in minor, first chord is usually minor....so we often mean A minor when we say A...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Aug 27 2009, 08:25 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.892

It could be both A major and A minor type harmony. If they tell you more chords from that key it would be much easier to determine if you play A major or A minor pentatonic. Also, a lot of rock and blues guitar players like to play both Major and Minor pentatonic over major type chord, keep that in mind and you will do great !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 27 2009, 11:42 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

QUOTE (Jenbu @ Aug 27 2009, 06:50 PM) *
Hello!

I have been playing guitar on this site in a month or more.
Anyway I think it's time for some theory and a question I wanna ask.
When people say it's in key A... Does that mean you play the A minor pentatonic boxes
or A major(if that exists).

In blues music it is common to say the key of A instead of using major and minor, cause the major and minor scales are mixed up in one big scale. But when referring to harmony and chord progressions, I suggest you define it as A major. When there is no other info, it is usually A major type scale with major third.
How you build the solo from that moment on strictly depends on the harmony given and your ability to improvise over it.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 27 2009, 11:42 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2017 - 05:52 AM