> Pentatonic Lesson 3
mattacuk
post Mar 1 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #1

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me. Im haveing real problems getting to grips with the first lick on this video;

Pattern 1

e|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
b|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
g|-------------------------------------------9-12-14-12-14--/14--/16--/19--/21|
d|------------------------7-9-12-9-12---9-12----------------------------------|
a|-----5-7-10-7-10---7-10-----------------------------------------------------|
e|-5-7------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I am haveing real difficulty with the pull offs as i have to stretch over 4 frets, then if i do manage it im haveing problems getting the vibrato right. I cant even work out which note values to practice this too with my metronome sad.gif any suggestions?

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Mar 3 2007, 12:44 PM
Post #2

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

while im at it, can anyone please tell me what note value to play this too on the metronome?

Lick 5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7-5-----7-5-7-5---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----7-5---------7-5-----------------------------------------------------------------------

it doesent seem to fit into sixteenth notes ,please help!!!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Mar 5 2007, 08:28 AM
Post #3

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Mar 1 2007, 07:45 PM) *
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me. Im haveing real problems getting to grips with the first lick on this video;

Pattern 1

e|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
b|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
g|-------------------------------------------9-12-14-12-14--/14--/16--/19--/21|
d|------------------------7-9-12-9-12---9-12----------------------------------|
a|-----5-7-10-7-10---7-10-----------------------------------------------------|
e|-5-7------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I am haveing real difficulty with the pull offs as i have to stretch over 4 frets, then if i do manage it im haveing problems getting the vibrato right. I cant even work out which note values to practice this too with my metronome sad.gif any suggestions?

Hey Matt,

If you are having problems with the stretches in this exercise - don't practice it yet. Instead, isolate the part where the stretches are - practice it separately, do the same thing for the vibrato part - then you are ready to practice it!

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Mar 3 2007, 12:44 PM) *
while im at it, can anyone please tell me what note value to play this too on the metronome?

Lick 5

7-5-----7-5-7-5---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----7-5---------7-5-----------------------------------------------------------------------
it doesent seem to fit into sixteenth notes ,please help!!!

Play it as triplets or sixteenth-note-triplets.

Kris smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Mar 5 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #4

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 5 2007, 07:28 AM) *
Hey Matt,

If you are having problems with the stretches in this exercise - don't practice it yet. Instead, isolate the part where the stretches are - practice it separately, do the same thing for the vibrato part - then you are ready to practice it!
Play it as triplets or sixteenth-note-triplets.

Kris smile.gif

kris, thankyou very much for takeing the time to reply. Should i just be practicing the stretches/pulloffs to a metronome click or without?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Mar 5 2007, 09:06 PM
Post #5

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Mar 5 2007, 09:00 PM) *
kris, thankyou very much for takeing the time to reply. Should i just be practicing the stretches/pulloffs to a metronome click or without?

Exactly! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Mar 6 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #6

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

One more question! biggrin.gif

I am a little confused how to play these 5 note patterns as triplets (3 notes) or sixteen note triplets (6 notes)?? ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
post Mar 9 2007, 10:01 AM
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.066

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Mar 6 2007, 09:03 PM) *
One more question! biggrin.gif

I am a little confused how to play these 5 note patterns as triplets (3 notes) or sixteen note triplets (6 notes)?? ohmy.gif

I guess Kris knows what he is talkin' bout cause well..he usually does laugh.gif

But personally I would probably play this as 16th notes, that is, four notes per click. Would feel more natural to me, but it also depends on which notes should be accented(err spelling?) I guess.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Mar 9 2007, 10:05 AM
Post #8

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Mar 9 2007, 10:01 AM) *
I guess Kris knows what he is talkin' bout cause well..he usually does laugh.gif
But personally I would probably play this as 16th notes, that is, four notes per click. Would feel more natural to me, but it also depends on which notes should be accented(err spelling?) I guess.

That is doable - but the pattern will repeat unevenly since it is not dividable by four (which can be really cool if that's the desired effect!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Mar 10 2007, 03:40 PM
Post #9

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Mar 9 2007, 09:01 AM) *

I know kris knows what hes talking about smile.gif but i still confuzzled on how you can play a 5 note pattern as triplets or sixteenth note triplet !!! huh.gif sorry guys biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Mar 10 2007, 11:55 PM
Post #10

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Mar 10 2007, 09:40 AM) *
I know kris knows what hes talking about smile.gif but i still confuzzled on how you can play a 5 note pattern as triplets or sixteenth note triplet !!! huh.gif sorry guys biggrin.gif

When you get to the end you start again without a gap - that way you can play any combination of notes in any time. So for your pattern:

You actually play:

--------------------------------|----------------------------------|
7-5-----7-5-7-5----7-5------7-5-|-7-5-----7-5-----7-5-7-5------7-7-|
----7-5---------7-5-----7-5-----|-----7-5-----7-5----------7-5-----|

and so on ...

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Mar 10 2007, 11:59 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Mar 11 2007, 09:42 AM
Post #11

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 10 2007, 10:55 PM) *
When you get to the end you start again without a gap - that way you can play any combination of notes in any time. So for your pattern:

You actually play:
7-5-----7-5-7-5----7-5------7-5-|-7-5-----7-5-----7-5-7-5------7-7-|
----7-5---------7-5-----7-5-----|-----7-5-----7-5----------7-5-----|

and so on ...

thankyou very much andrew smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th March 2017 - 02:37 AM