> Wrk's Mtp Thread, All assignments and uploads here
wrk
post Sep 11 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #21

Learning Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 723

Awesome ... Thank you Pedja !!
I guess a few of them i used in my takes before without knowing that these are approach pattern. Will be interesting to focus on it a bit more and play with variations.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Sep 11 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.892

QUOTE (wrk @ Sep 11 2009, 01:12 PM) *
Awesome ... Thank you Pedja !!
I guess a few of them i used in my takes before without knowing that these are approach pattern. Will be interesting to focus on it a bit more and play with variations.

You welcome Andy!
Now you have some tricks to work on. I am very excited to hear what and how you will apply. After we finish with this one, we will change the mode and work on some other things, but more on that later wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Sep 17 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

Andy,

How are approach patterns coming along ?
We will very soon change the mode I just one to hear one take from you in this one using approach patterns!

I will be out of town today but I will be back tomorrow. Let me know if you have any questions!

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
post Sep 17 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #24

Learning Tone Seeker

Hi Pedja,

Here is my 4th take over the phrygian cadence. As i told you via PM, i was running a bit out of ideas after the previous 3 takes.

I have tried to incorporate some of these approach pattern and some chromatic variations of it. I wanted to get away from using too many pentatonic style licks, keep the notes closer together and make more use of tension notes. I slowed down the backing a bit to avoid to play too sloppy .

I'm not really confident with this take, but anyway .. i'm curious about your feedback when you are back in "town" ... have a good time smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Sep 18 2009, 07:07 PM
Post #25

Instructor
Group Icon

Andy 4th take was good !
I have no complains because you did what I asked for. You applied approach patterns. In the beginning it will be harder to use it in your soloing and vocabulary, but more you practice them and try to create lines around them, ear will open up and hear them.

Lets move onto new mode now. I think we need to finish all important major modes (Dorian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Ionian) before we get to melodic minor and things that are cool. I will also teach you things regarding theory and harmony, how to modulate and expand your 4,8,16 bar modal sections into new areas.

So your new assignment is to pick one of the modes below and create a backing track for it!

- B Dorian
- F# Lydian
- Bb Mixolydian
- F Aeolian

Choose one of the above, create backing track using available cadences. Feel free to add tensions to the chords as well if you want to make it more jazzier and in fusion manner. It would be interesting if you tried to make now different type of backing track. Vary the tempo and feel of the drums and bass. Lets see what you can do and then I will assign you soloing assignment wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
post Sep 19 2009, 08:24 AM
Post #26

Learning Tone Seeker

Thanks for the new assignment Pedja !!
It's great to go through each mode of the major scale and focus on it for while. I needed to do this since a long time ... i'm really exited to finally do this smile.gif

I think i will first start with the Mixolydian mode in Bb as i never used it before ... at least not consciously. As far as i understood the mixolydian mode is mainly used over a dominant 7th chord. I guess thats the reason a lot of lessons here at GMC are using a ONE CHORD vamp backing for the mixolydian mode and not so often cadences(?)

Actually that leads to another question i was wondering about in your cadence post .. you wrote .. "All the chords have the same duration !" ... is that a kind of standard to "define" a cadence? Just try to understand what possibilities i have if want to create a "typical" mixolydian backing.

If i do a progression like 8 bars I and after a 1xI, 1xbVII or 1xI, 1xVmin, would only be the last part called the cadence ? ... i just try to get the names clear i think.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Sep 19 2009, 09:03 AM
Post #27

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (wrk @ Sep 19 2009, 09:24 AM) *
Thanks for the new assignment Pedja !!
It's great to go through each mode of the major scale and focus on it for while. I needed to do this since a long time ... i'm really exited to finally do this smile.gif

I think i will first start with the Mixolydian mode in Bb as i never used it before ... at least not consciously. As far as i understood the mixolydian mode is mainly used over a dominant 7th chord. I guess thats the reason a lot of lessons here at GMC are using a ONE CHORD vamp backing for the mixolydian mode and not so often cadences(?)

Actually that leads to another question i was wondering about in your cadence post .. you wrote .. "All the chords have the same duration !" ... is that a kind of standard to "define" a cadence? Just try to understand what possibilities i have if want to create a "typical" mixolydian backing.

If i do a progression like 8 bars I and after a 1xI, 1xbVII or 1xI, 1xVmin, would only be the last part called the cadence ? ... i just try to get the names clear i think.

You welcome Andy!
Regarding cadences, they don't necesserilly have to have each chord using same harmonic rhythm. You can experiment with chords that I mentioned but just remember that your 1st chord should be I7 , and in the end of the cadence make sure you lead into I7 somehow. bVII7 is a good way to do that but also Vmin like you mentioned because it resolves up a perfect 4th to I7. So all good choices just experiment with harmonic rhythm.
You could also do just one chord vamp using I7 through out but I would prefer if you used extended cadence in order for harmony to enrich your melodic playing.
Let me know how backing goes and if you have any questions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
post Sep 19 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #28

Learning Tone Seeker

Great ... i will work on it and let you know how it goes or if questions come up.
Thank you smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Sep 20 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #29

Instructor
Group Icon

Sure thing Andy, let me know if I can help in any way!

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
post Sep 22 2009, 05:28 AM
Post #30

Learning Tone Seeker

Hi Pedja, i hope you feel better now from your flu !!

Here is a backing in made with Bb-mixolydian cadence: I | bVII | I | V

7th chords, 4x : Bb7 | Abmaj7 | Bb7 | Fm7
Attached File  wrk_backing_Bb_Mixolydian_noext.mp3 ( 1.63MB ) Number of downloads: 94

with tensions, 2x : Bb7 | Abmaj7 | Bb7 | Fm7 --- Bb9 | Ab11 | Bb11 | Fm9
Attached File  wrk_backing_Bb_Mixolydian_ext.mp3 ( 1.62MB ) Number of downloads: 91

I have started to improvise over this backing with chord notes, tensions notes and some approach patterns. I will try to record a take very soon ...

Sorry for the delay to upload takes. I have some difficulties to find calm moments to record videos ... as i have some "annoying" people running around in the apartment all the time .. will try to kick them out as soon as possible laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Sep 22 2009, 10:19 AM
Post #31

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Andy,

I am feeling a lot better. Today I will record a lesson actually smile.gif

I checked out these two versions and they sound very similar to each other, almost identical. I like the backing track, it has ambient and openness like the previous one for Phrygian mode.
Record those soloing approaches when you get the chance and then we can correct things and develop from there!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Sep 22 2009, 10:48 AM
Post #32

Instructor
Group Icon

One more thing Andy

Happy birthday man smile.gif

Enjoy it today wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
post Sep 23 2009, 09:04 AM
Post #33

Learning Tone Seeker

Great you feel better ... and thanks for the wishes yesterday smile.gif

Yes both backings are identical. I only added some tension notes over the 7th's chords to figure out how these notes sound. I will try to create some other backings, less ambient sound, but i have a lot of fun to play with Logic and some VSTs as i never really did this before and i want to get more experiences with that as well smile.gif

I will let you know how the soloing comes together ..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Sep 23 2009, 09:29 AM
Post #34

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (wrk @ Sep 23 2009, 10:04 AM) *
Great you feel better ... and thanks for the wishes yesterday smile.gif

Yes both backings are identical. I only added some tension notes over the 7th's chords to figure out how these notes sound. I will try to create some other backings, less ambient sound, but i have a lot of fun to play with Logic and some VSTs as i never really did this before and i want to get more experiences with that as well smile.gif

I will let you know how the soloing comes together ..

You welcome Andy. How was the gig last night ? I hope you enjoyed it smile.gif

I like when you use tensions but remember that you don't have to paint the whole picture with harmony. You can use tensions in soloing and triads or 7th chords in harmony. That kind of gives + and - effect if that makes sense. We will talk about various approaches soon but for time being try to do a take over the existing backing track, lets see how you are doing with it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
post Sep 23 2009, 09:52 AM
Post #35

Learning Tone Seeker

Gig was awesome .. two guitar player improvising over jazz standards. It was lesser "manouche jazz" as i expected from someone like David Reinhardt. Beside that it was technically impressive what they did, i realized that i have to listen way more to this kind of music ..

I am happy to have found this place. It's basically a small bar/restaurant with live music every evening with great musicians. Tonight is playing Serge Krief for example, who has been a musician for George Benson. I guess i will hang out there a lot in the future .. smile.gif

Back to work now .. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Sep 23 2009, 10:19 AM
Post #36

Instructor
Group Icon

Great to hear that Andy!
Does that place have a website? I would like to check out performers they have lined up.

I will record a lesson now so I guess I will talk to you later today smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
post Sep 23 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #37

Learning Tone Seeker

http://www.ateliercharonne.com/

The website is in french, but you can find the program when you click on "Le Bar"(right) - "Programmation"(top)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Sep 23 2009, 10:38 AM
Post #38

Instructor
Group Icon

Looks good !
Mostly Jazz manouche and some classical. That music is great for background I guess smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
post Sep 24 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #39

Learning Tone Seeker

Hi Pedja, here are finally two takes i did over Bb mixolydian backing. Once again quite melodic .. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Sep 25 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #40

Instructor
Group Icon

Very nice Andy, both takes are melodic and similar somewhat. I like that you went a little bit outside of the chord tones and did some approach patterns and chromaticism. I would like to see that more and more into your lines as that tool will make them sound jazzier. Another advice I can give you is to start thinking in terms of time feel even more. In other words do a slow phrase followed by really fast one. Do this for whole chorus, see what you can make out of this idea!

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 08:06 PM