Alternate Picking, Something Muris said that changed everything.
iamblackmo
Sep 11 2009, 05:41 AM
GMC:er
I made a post a week or so back where I was asking about picking. Specifically, when you decide what method of picking you will use.

I said this because it seemed to me, that I NEVER properly alternate picked if I was playing or just jamming.
If I was practicing scales or something of a methodical nature and it is expressed, I would.

This is what I noticed: I essentially do alternate pick but I noticed I very rarely ever came for an upstroke on my high-E. Of course, I found licks that I could not play properly without using upstroke; but, after listening to a recording of myself playing Sweet Child O Mine, something hit me.

Muris mentioned a certain attack and feel and it was just completely missing from the main riff without playing the lick with alternate pick.

This is going to be a bad habit to break, but I never realized how much of an inhibition of not upstroking that 1 string had on my play. I did not get a smooth and consistent punch on the notes and there was a lot of noise that was not coming while I alternate picked.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by iamblackmo: Sep 11 2009, 05:47 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 11 2009, 05:46 AM
Great to hear you are becoming more aware of your limitations. I too, am devoting more time to alternate picking. I am sure it will be a great boost once I become more proficient at it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
sted
Sep 11 2009, 09:14 AM
Learning Rock Star
AP is the way my friend, Muris has bestowed his wisdom upon you and that means your guitar career will be blessed for all eternity!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 11 2009, 10:12 AM
Instructor
Glad you got the thing set! Now - of to practice to create a monster AP technique! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 11 2009, 01:20 PM
Instructor
Habits are there to be broken, specially bad ones,
I'm pleased to hear my advice has helped you, rock on. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Sep 11 2009, 01:37 PM
That's why recording yourself play is important! You get to hear mistakes that you'd otherwise wouldn't.
Bad habits are there to break, and with enough practice, you'll surely get it right !

Sweet Child O' Mine is a bad-ass song by the way !

--------------------

+Quote Post
iamblackmo
Sep 11 2009, 02:03 PM
QUOTE (djohnneay @ Sep 11 2009, 08:37 AM) *
That's why recording yourself play is important! You get to hear mistakes that you'd otherwise wouldn't.
Bad habits are there to break, and with enough practice, you'll surely get it right !

Sweet Child O' Mine is a bad-ass song by the way !

It has been like getting used to walking on someones legs. My only alternate picking downfall has been to constantly attack the high-E with a downstroke and occasionally with an upstroke but now I notice it everytime I make the mistake and it is going to take my practice and jam time this weekend away from me. It is going to be dedicated to alternate picking.

I think it goes to show how much feel has to play with this. I am only using sweet child as an example but during Slash's intro riff, at the end fill right before Axl comes in. I always played that using pure alternate picking and never paid it a second thought. I think it is just because that pattern of notes fit and it was easier, so I did it unconciously.

The main riff. I never noticed how much my picking was failing me. I preach and preach alternate picking to people who ask me questions and to see how horridly I was approach that eigth note progression and how bad it sounded because of it.

I would attack the ringing high-E notes with down strokes and it would not mesh with the rest of the riff and worst of all, the note would ring over the next one played.

This does not happen when I alternate pick this riff. I just feel I owe gratitude and serve as a account to everyone to focus on their picking and to develop good habits. This difference is HUGE.

This post has been edited by iamblackmo: Sep 11 2009, 02:04 PM

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Sep 13 2009, 09:10 PM
Good to hear that man !

It's about the same reason I'm practicing Master of Puppets downpicking now, the difference in tone is HUGE. Different techniques have different tonal characters, and sometimes that is just the thing that makes a good song sound great wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 14 2009, 05:16 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Muris is a wise man ;-) And I agree, it is an important step to find out about our flaws, only then we can work on them.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:58 PM