2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Had To Get This Off My Chest!
Sinisa Cekic
Sep 18 2009, 09:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Conrad Harpham @ Sep 17 2009, 01:33 PM) *
Sorry guys - had to get this off my chest...
Ive just taken over guitar teaching duties at a local secondary school and had my first lessons today with some pupils of the former teacher...shocked wasnt the word. Some of them had been learning with him for over 4 years and they didnt know what a scale was, never done vibrato and didnt know about sliding, let alone any of the more advanced techniques..
When i quizzed one of my new pupils they said.."Yeah, we only ever did songs with chords..." - for four years???
Whe you think what they could have leart in 4 years...Whilst a good teacher can make you, a bad one can break you! Thank goodness for GMC!
Sorry for the moan...

Quite interesting, I had the same situation a month ago !!!
My student, after two years of practicing with the former teacher, has not learned a single scale and how to tune up guitar !!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AdamB
Sep 18 2009, 03:58 PM
GMC:er
I used to teach a little, and in certain cases I found that the people I was teaching couldn't progress because they simply weren't interested. Especially kids, I could bang on about scales and theory and technique all I wanted, but the simple fact was that they were there because their parents wanted rid of them for an hour on a saturday, and the kids just didn't practice ever. So, after a while, you do end up doing just the same chords and the same old things each lesson, because if the student doesn't want to learn, it's doomed. I did try getting them interested, trying to find out what music I could try and get them into to get them interested in learning and practicing, but sometimes people just aren't interested and that is that.

The teacher doesn't choose the student, the student chooses the teacher. I think that means that it's up to the student to decide that they want to listen to what the teacher is saying. Then after that it comes down to how good the teacher is, but the student has to be willing first.

Personally, I found that to be true with my own learning. I remember people telling me when I was younger about metronome practice and scales and all kinds of stuff, but I just didn't listen because I didn't want to face the fact that I would have to actually do some serious practice. But now I'm older I have realised that I should listen to this stuff, so I practice and I learn theory and so on.

-Adam

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 30 2009, 06:56 PM
Instructor
I loved the funny based on this thread, heheh

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Dec 1 2009, 06:32 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Well there are good and bad teachers, but your story shows us that there are even worse ones...

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:59 AM